Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there get terrible back pain?I have been told that I have crystals in my galbladder, but would that cause pain around your left shoulder blade too? When I asked the doctor he didn't really answer me. Between the pain in my ribs and stomach and shoulders and back, I am really starting to get pissed!!!!!!!!!!!! I am seeing a chiropractor and it helps for maybe two days and then I am right back where I started from. Do you think that it could all be related, or different stuff going on?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gall bladder pain is often felt in the upper/mid back. It is called refered pain. That is the pain isn't felt where the bad thing is occuring. It is fairly common for abdominal pain to be felt in places other than where the diseased thing is.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kmottus,Do you know if crystals could cause that type of pain? My doctor referred me to a surgeon, but the surgeon thought that I had not had enought testing so I have had pretty much everything done. All tests have come back normal, except the endoscopy which is how they found the crystals. I have wanted to put having it removed off, because I have heard that it can make ibs worse, and frankly I don't want that either. This is all very confusing. Perhaps you or someone could shed some light? The doctors are not exactly helpful.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I believe the pain from gall bladder problems is variable, so it's hard to say if the back pain is from the gallbladder crystals or not. In addition to the chiropractor you may want to talk to the doctor about getting the upper back pain evaluated and see if physical therapy could help. I've had pretty severe upper back pain (and no gall bladder disease) so it could be unrelated (mine was graduate student doing too much computer and laboratory work-itis). One of the problems with chiropractic adjustment is that if the muscles are weak everything just falls back out of place again, but if you do some exercises that specifically target the right muscles you can greatly reduce the pain. The PT did me a world of good.Alot of times it's hard to tell what pain is what and which things are related or not, especially when they are fairly common things (back pain, gall bladder disease and IBS are all common). I'd think that removing the GB is the last resort kind of thing and since the chiropractic work helps, maybe doing some addtional get rid of the back pain things would be a better first step. K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
It took the Dr's 20 months to find out what is causing my back pain and it is a cyst on my left Kidney they now think. I just found this out last week and next week I will find out if they will drain it or remove it. I have a very large one and my family Dr does not know why it did not show up on my Cat scan from 17 months ago. I have had 3 Dr's look at my Cat scan back in Jan. of 2000 with one at the Cleveland Clinic. My Dr who found it by a IVP test 2 weeks ago has my Cat scans now and he will look at them to check for it. My Dr also said they sould have found it with ultra sound (spelling) as well and will order another one after he check my cat scan if it is not on there. I do have IBS-D and have had it from 5 grade on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.