Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I have lurked these forums from time to time searching for help and I have always hoped that I could eventually come here and say I've gotten better, and be able to post something that may help somebody else. For the most part it seems I am back to normal and I am confident I will stay this way. I'm 29 years old and I've had IBS-C for nearly 4 years now. I've tried and tried to find a way to get better. There were times where I felt that I did not want to live anymore and my hopes of improving were shot. But when I realized I would continue to live, I told myself I have to keep trying and there is no other option.I've tried many different things...probiotics and digestive enzymes never seemed to help me. Cutting out meats like beef and pork did help greatly, as well as eliminating dairy or any food with preservatives. I have had a diet of mainly veggies, chicken, some lamb(not too much), beans, grains, and fruits. I rarely eat out and am always cooking at home. In the past, green tea used to seem to make my stomach nervous, but in the past six months I have started to drink coffee and that actually seemed to help, though it may be detrimental to you. Other things I've been taking daily with my meals in recent months that I think may have helped include fish oil, flax oil, rutin, boswellia, garlic oil, vitamin-d3, psyllium husk, quercetin, aloe vera juice, alive-whole food energizer and triphala. I've never been willing to take or never have tried prescription medication for my illness. I've just focused mainly on exercise, diet and the supplements I take. And this has all helped a great deal compared to when my symptoms first occured and my digestive system was a wreck. I had the usual symptoms...thin or abnormal stools. Very gassy. Belching. A gurgly stomach. I couldn't lay on my stomach in bed. It would agitate the symptoms.But only in the past couple of weeks have I become really normal. This I attribute not only to my diet and lifestyle, but a trip to the doctor. He gave me some advice that I probably read here ten times before and disregarded. "Pay attention to when you eat, and do not eat too soon before you go to sleep." I have a job where I work until 9:30p.m. and I would like to cook after I got home. Before I got IBS, eating late never harmed me. I didn't think it could be a significant factor. So in short, I changed this and now I do not eat after 6:30p.m. By the time I go to bed, I am somewhat hungry but not enough to keep me up. I usually have some herbal tea with honey before bed and that holds me over. I basically have my bigger meal for lunch before work and a smaller one for dinner on my break at work around 5:30p.m. or so. Then I don't eat anything the rest of the night. For breakfast it is organic cereal, organic soy milk and banana and nuts mixed in.My stools have become perfectly normal. This morning I left one in the bowl so big and dense it would not flush. I still have a bit of gas now and then. But it is nothing compared to what it used to be and it doesn't have the strong odor when I do have it. I still have a bit of belching too. But I think these symptoms may only improve.I've also tried eating some of the things I had eliminated from my diet for so long. Last week I made a pizza with fresh mozzarella. I had a hamburger. I had a few slices of mortadella for my dinner the last couple days. After my lunch, I have been enjoying some roquefort(a sort of bleu cheese like gorgonzola)or some aged cheese and honey. I have faced no repercussions from these. I have been going to the bathroom with a normal complete evacuation after every meal.If anyone wants to ask something more specific that you may think I can help with, feel free to ask. I hope this helps somebody. :)Edit: I should also mention my deep breathing exercises. They certainly seemed to help as well and I believe they helped me go to the bathroom and relieve anxiety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations! Always good to hear stories like yours. I sometimes eat pretty late as well, some as you, I come home from work late pretty often and then it can be 9 or 9:30 before I eat..I should probably try what you do and eat at work before going home.I would be particularly interested in your deep breathing exercise. Do you have any more info on this?
Well I have lurked these forums from time to time searching for help and I have always hoped that I could eventually come here and say I've gotten better, and be able to post something that may help somebody else. For the most part it seems I am back to normal and I am confident I will stay this way. I'm 29 years old and I've had IBS-C for nearly 4 years now. I've tried and tried to find a way to get better. There were times where I felt that I did not want to live anymore and my hopes of improving were shot. But when I realized I would continue to live, I told myself I have to keep trying and there is no other option.I've tried many different things...probiotics and digestive enzymes never seemed to help me. Cutting out meats like beef and pork did help greatly, as well as eliminating dairy or any food with preservatives. I have had a diet of mainly veggies, chicken, some lamb(not too much), beans, grains, and fruits. I rarely eat out and am always cooking at home. In the past, green tea used to seem to make my stomach nervous, but in the past six months I have started to drink coffee and that actually seemed to help, though it may be detrimental to you. Other things I've been taking daily with my meals in recent months that I think may have helped include fish oil, flax oil, rutin, boswellia, garlic oil, vitamin-d3, psyllium husk, aloe vera juice, alive-whole food energizer and triphala. I've never been willing to take or never have tried prescription medication for my illness. I've just focused mainly on exercise, diet and the supplements I take. And this has all helped a great deal compared to when my symptoms first occured and my digestive system was a wreck. I had the usual symptoms...thin or abnormal stools. Very gassy. Belching. A gurgly stomach. I couldn't lay on my stomach in bed. It would agitate the symptoms.But only in the past couple of weeks have I become really normal. This I attribute not only to my diet and lifestyle, but a trip to the doctor. He gave me some advice that I probably read here ten times before and disregarded. "Pay attention to when you eat, and do not eat too soon before you go to sleep." I have a job where I work until 9:30p.m. and I would like to cook after I got home. Before I got IBS, eating late never harmed me. I didn't think it could be a significant factor. So in short, I changed this and now I do not eat after 6:30p.m. By the time I go to bed, I am somewhat hungry but not enough to keep me up. I usually have some herbal tea with honey before bed and that holds me over. I basically have my bigger meal for lunch before work and a smaller one for dinner on my break at work around 5:30p.m. or so. Then I don't eat anything the rest of the night. For breakfast it is organic cereal, organic soy milk and banana and nuts mixed in.My stools have become perfectly normal. This morning I left one in the bowl so big and dense it would not flush. I still have a bit of gas now and then. But it is nothing compared to what it used to be and it doesn't have the strong odor when I do have it. I still have a bit of belching too. But I think these symptoms may only improve.I've also tried eating some of the things I had eliminated from my diet for so long. Last week I made a pizza with fresh mozzarella. I had a hamburger. I had a few slices of mortadella for my dinner the last couple days. After my lunch, I have been enjoying some roquefort(a sort of bleu cheese like gorgonzola)or some aged cheese and honey. I have faced no repercussions from these. I have been going to the bathroom with a normal complete evacuation after every meal.If anyone wants to ask something more specific that you may think I can help with, feel free to ask. I hope this helps somebody. :)Edit: I should also mention my deep breathing exercises. They certainly seemed to help as well and I believe they helped me go to the bathroom and relieve anxiety.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations! Always good to hear stories like yours. I sometimes eat pretty late as well, some as you, I come home from work late pretty often and then it can be 9 or 9:30 before I eat..I should probably try what you do and eat at work before going home.I would be particularly interested in your deep breathing exercise. Do you have any more info on this?
Yes, it is good to hear stories like mine because it gives people hope and lets them know it is possible to get over IBS. We know the hard part is finding the way. Eating earlier helped me right away. It wouldn't hurt to try it. On Deep Breathing:
Deep Breathing ExercisesDeep breathing is a relaxation technique that can be self-taught. Deep breathing releases tension from the body and clear the mind, improving both physical and mental wellness.We tend to breathe shallowly or even hold our hold our breath when we are feeling anxious. Sometimes we are not even aware of it. Shallow breathing limits your oxygen intake and adds further stress to your body, creating a vicious cycle. Breathing exercises can break this cycle.The importance of good posture cannot be overstated. While sitting, we tend to slouch, which compresses the diaphragm and other organs, resulting in shallow breathing. Slouching also strains muscles in the neck and back. It is helpful to sit in a chair with good back support to avoid fatigue that leads to slouching.How to do Deep Breathing Exercises:Sit up straight. (Do not arch your back) First exhale completely through your mouth. Place your hands on your stomach, just above your waist. Breathe in slowly through your nose, pushing your hands out with your stomach. This ensures that you are breathing deeply. Imagine that you are filling your body with air from the bottom up.Hold your breath to a count of two to five, or whatever you can handle. It is easier to hold your breath if you continue to hold out your stomach. Slowly and steadily breathe out through your mouth, feeling your hands move back in as you slowly contract your stomach, until most of the air is out. Exhalation is a little longer than inhalation.After you get some experience you don't need to use your hands to check your breathing.You can also do the above breathing exercise lying on your back. Deep breathing exercises can help you to relax before you go to sleep for the night, or fall back asleep if you awaken in the middle of the night.You can also practice deep breathing exercises standing - e.g. while sitting in traffic, or standing in a lineup at the grocery store. If you are really tense and feel as if you are holding your breath, simply concentrate on slowly breathing in and out.Other relaxation techniques that can be self-taught are meditation and progressive muscle relaxation.http://www.stress-relief-exercises.com/deep-breathing-exercises.html
A doctor I went to for anxiety issues actually recommended breathing exercises long before I had IBS. The way I did my breathing exercises was usually just continue doing one long slow inhale, and a long slow exhale. I can do this whether at work, on a bus, taking a walk etc. and I think it really helps relieve stress and anxiety. I used to do this before speeches in college. It can be a good idea to get into meditation. I like to light a candle and sit in a dark room at night and do the breathing. Listen to something soothing like enya, tibetan chant music, rainforest sounds and the like.I also ride a bicycle for about 45 minutes a day along with 10 minutes of exercises. Especially abdominal exercise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I' also like to know about the deep breathing exercise. I could use any advise anyone can giveme. I'm having spasms in my colon and they seem to last for two or three hours at night and they hurt so bad I can't sleep. This has been going on for six months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts