Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for awhile, I'd gotten regularized, and by that I mean I was going every day or every other day, very soft, virtually no pain. It felt good to be "normal", so this is what it's like, lol.Well unfortunately that train came to an end. I've been backed up for about five days, haven't gone, and the scary thing is I haven't felt like I had to go at all. Now I feel a discomfort and tightness in the lower stomach, so I know it's there, but I'm not in any real pain, but discomfort. I've had about 1500-2000 calories daily, mostly bread. And, only had water to drink.I dunno what to do. I'm wanting to do an enema, but am scared to death because last time that happened, I expelled the enema, but was STILL stopped up and the stool wouldn't come out STILL and was hard. Ended up having to dig it out. I don't want a repeat of that, but I'm scared to death to let it keep building up.The thing is, I haven't really felt like I have to go AT ALL, but am having nightmares at night, and this is usually a sign that I'm well full of...err...stool, lol. But it's really bugging me, I just want this stuff out of my system.Does anyone have any advice. Do I just wait it out? I'm really not wanting to eat any more, and I really don't want to end up gaining 20 lbs of sh*t inside me, lol. Waiting it out at this point, I'm thinking could take literally 5 more days or even 10. I HATE this, I just wish I was normal. I dunno why it all seems to be "taking a nap up inside me" lol.I have a lunch with a dear friend I haven't seen in many months, and I just want this problem gone and not to be bloated when I see her. I know it's too much white bread because I haven't had access to other kinds of food. And, I'm thinking it's gonna be a hard stool.Anyway, thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
What do you take normally to clear out? If it has been 5 days.... I wouldn't wait any longer.For you.. I would definitely try taking something before day 5 with no BM in the future. If you haven't gone by day 3... I would take something daily until you do go.But for right now.. yes you can try an enema as that may get things going but if it doesn't help enough, you could also try some form of a laxative.. whichever you like best I guess. But I would never wait 5 days again if I were you. As SOON as you notice a problem if you get on it right away with stool softeners or even a laxative... you can prevent impaction.Keep us posted

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, my historical average is actually 3-5 days, but it's just that I'd gotten into a pattern of 1-2 days and then this sudden stoppage.At any rate, I managed to have a a movement. It was quite dry and I had to strain, but I got it all out. I am 3 lbs lighter, haha. Nevertheless, it was so hard it stopped up the toilet even after I mashed it down. Sorry TMI I know. I just wish I were normal in this regard.I know I had way too much white bread, but basically atm all I have available to me is cereal, milk, and white bread. I'm thinking of going on a prolonged fast rather than suffer this again until I can get a variety of foods. It's just not worth the discomfort.I don't seem to do good on JUST water, which is what I'm on now. Usually I drink water, tea, juices, zero-cal punch, and diet soda. And I do MUCH better. The thing is I hear all the time ideally water-only is best, but...uhh. Someone suggested coffee could help. Could soda have the same benefit. Is it the caffeine that would help ease constipation?At this point, just grateful most of it is gone, though I dunno if it's all gone or not. In some minor pain, but overall I feel MUCH better.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I think folks who tend toward Constipation do much better when they treat it everyday.. not just after a few days of not going at all. And treatment can range from paying close attention to your diet, taking stool softeners, magnesium supplements, osmotics or a combo of all of that etc daily. So obviously yes this time maybe your poor diet did have something to do with it. I would urge you to eat more variety ... vegetables, for example, need to be in your diet daily. Salads would be good too. Yes TRY the coffee it can help. (If you are worried about caffiene.. try the de-caf.) Prune juice would be good to add in to your regime as well.Keep in mind many folks (even those without IBS) have looser stools with the consumption of sugar alcohols (as in sorbitol) you find in "Diet" foods... or "Sugar Free" foods. So try that too if you want.But only getting worried after you haven't gone for a few days is kinda too late. This needs daily attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna try it.
Yes I'm aware it's a serious problem. I've never been an every day kinda person as far as going. Right now, it's very difficult as I have little control over my diet. Short of fasting I dunno what to do. When I have more control I try to eat a greater variety including whole wheat breads and meats and such, salads. It's not something I take lightly, gonna try different things though. Thing is I HAD been going every day and quite regular and soft, it just flared up again. Quite frustrating.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I don't understand why you have no control over what you eat???? but I can tell you fasting will not help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well because right now I'm living with people and I have to eat what they eat, and so that pretty much limits my choices as money is very tight. My options, diet-wise, quite limited. Yeah, I know that overall fasting can actually make it worse. It's just that given my situation with what I said, restricted eating of irritant foods-only just exacerbates the problem. Nothing in, nothing out, seems really awesome to me when compared to the amount of pain I had today.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Surely they eat vegtables. If they are serving you, why not let them know you have a problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, so as not to have this topic drift into the area of my personal living situation, suffice it to say, basically she eats very little, mostly fish and rice and is very possessive of all the healthy foods. He is a meat and potatoes man. There really is no "serving" per se, except on weekends. I am left with a choice of cereal, milk, bread, luncheon meat. When I do eat, it's foods like pasta or pork chops, no fats.Basically a disaster for a person like me who suffers constipation. Yes not an ideal situation, I am trying to change it, but in the here and now, I need to somehow get foods moving through my system and with as little pain as possible.I am not able (allowed, I am capable) to cook foods for myself, so as I said, difficult situation. As far as explaining it, it falls on deaf ears, I'm expected to fall into line. I can do that, I have no problem with that. But having health issues as a result, which is why I'm here.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ok I see. Get some prune juice for yourself. I doubt they will want you to share that or anything so it would probably be safe in their fridge. It may help you stay regular. And/Or get some higher fiber bran type cereals. There are also higher fiber breads you can look for. How about some peanuts too? Those don't need refrigeration if you will consume them in a reasonable time frame and they are a good source of fats as well as protein and fiber! (They are cheaper in the shells, just fyi.) Apples are a good source too. And they are not terribly expensive. Keep your eye out for sales or visit any farmer's markets nearby if you have any.Also instant coffee might be ok for you as opposed to having to actually have access to a coffee machine etc. Keep your fluids up as you add more fiber into your diet.At least try some of these type of things until you can get into a better living situation. Hopefully you will be able to get in your own place soon. Boy.. I bet you can't wait to cook something real for yourself! I hope that day comes real soon for you! And in the meantime I hope you do feel better and keep regular.All the best

·
Registered
58 Posts
You could try eating a lot of vegetables and maybe cutting down on meat, it works for me. Also you can try and take oatmeal with water, its good source of soluble fiber. Try and monitor if you dont eat dairy products, does it improve ure bowel movements. These are things that have worked for me, as I also at times feel that there is no urge to have a movement. When, I took laxatives, it didnt help me at all, infact my condiiton got worse, but maybe it can enhance ure system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.