Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the papers were full of the dangers of taking calcium supplements, I was feeling better than I have for ages, normal bm's, just occasional bouts of gas, and getting my life back again. I started to worry about the effects of calcium and stopped taking it. I was absolutely fine for about two weeks, very normal bm's and just one or two a day. I could eat just about anything, and had started to feel much more confident about going out.However, two days ago the whole nightmare started again. Cramps, urgent diarrhoea. I took an immodium last night after a terrible day (7 bm's) and this morning I am back on the calcium. Feeling really rotten.I would literally rather die of a heart attack than suffer the symptoms of ibs-d every day.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the "scary evil danger" with Calcium seems to be the supplements without D.If you take vitamin D with it, (which helps get the calcium out of the blood and in where you want it) that seems to get rid of the danger.One thing to remember about all this (just a general science warning).Science is bout ASKING QUESTIONS not getting answers.So a lot of time you see studies really designed to set things up for the next round of questions that do not actually provide answers. However the news reports all treat the gee look at all these questions we have studies as if they actually found answers that should effect how people change their treatments.If you need Calcium to control the diarrhea, based on what I see of the questions being asked and the small amount of data we have that may actually be an answer--but probably is just a set up for the next question as well--is take Calcium with vitamin D and if you are worried about a heart attack getting a 20 minute walk every day and controlling your weight with moderate portion control, eating a wide variety food including as many fruits and veggies as you can, and making sure that if you have high blood pressure or diabetes you control that as strictly as possible will do much more to reduce risk than staying in the bathroom all day every day.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The article I read said that the study only applied to straight calcium and that there was no clinical evidence either pro or anti vitamin D. Those studies would need to be undertaken.As far as heart disease or D, that need not be a choice you need to make. Deal with your risk factors. As K has said, eat right, exercise, don't smoke, get your cholesterol levels tested. If you have even a high chance of a heart attack, there are both drugs and supplements that can lower those numbers. (I have reduced mine from 50% to 2% as well as eliminating my D with the same supplement.). If your risk factors are low, even a 30% increase will still leave you with a low number. (A 10% risk would only increase to 13%.). Ask your doctor to help assess your current risks and try not to stress about this. That will help neither condition.Mark

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark and Kathleen - fortunately my risk factor for heart attack is low, so I am not too worried. But thanks for the reassurances. Feeling better today, nearly 24 hours without a bm!

·
Registered
311 Posts
when any one nutrient is taken by itself, there can b hell to pay............calcium needs to b taken with all of the co-factors...........things like magnesium, copper, manganese, selenium, strontium, zinc & other vitamins as well.............when calcium is taken in excess of what ur body needs, then the body may dump alot of calcium in an attempt to get rid of the excess.............this can leave u deficient.............the thing is for u to find out how much of everything u need.............if the calcium stops the D, then u obviously need it...........do tons of research & read the medical stuff, too..............collect all the facts............get a consensus..........

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi Peaches,Me too, having a rough couple of weeks and feeling really low about it all as well. Perhaps it is something that they have put in the water here what do you think??? (remember I am from Cornwal as well) I think it's because I have had a really bad chesty virus and that was about 3 weeks ago and I had to work with it as you know how busy it is here at the moment. It always seems to get worse when I get a bit run down but I am so busy in the summer at work that it is unavoidable for me. I hope you feel better soon and I know what you mean about beginning to get more confident I was too. That's the trouble with this, as soon as things improve and you start to go out and feel more confident, it all comes back and then I go back to being scared to go anywhere. So back to living like a recluse again at the moment. I desperately need to go to the dentist but I'm going to have to wait for this to calm down a bit again. I really hope things calm down and get better for you soon. x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh hi Claire x Sorry to hear you are having a bad time again, too, maybe it is the water, or the air or something! I did venture out last week but got in a state about the amount of traffic with all the tourists down here at the moment! Roll on September lol! I did have a bit of a laugh though, I was walking back to the car park from our tiny little town and two holidaymakers stopped and asked me where all the shops were. I had to tell them that's it! Only a Spar, chemist, post office and bank lol!As I said, I stopped taking the calcium (foolishly), and it's now taking time to get back to where I was before, so I am once again on the Immodium (temporarily, I hope!) It would have been our Wedding Anniversary on the 13th and I got very upset and low and missing him so much, also I need to go to the opticians (got glaucome, just to add to my misery) but I have cancelled two appointments already, too nervous to go. Let's just hope we can get through this flare-up and be like we were before
) Good luck my friend. x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.