Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in a printing industry in a place where two companys are sort of merged together.... I work for the one company and my mother in law is my boss... The other company's owner is a alcoholic and went into a rage this morning because I did'nt look busy enough and because she did'nt think it was fair for my mother in law to have extra staff meaning me.. and for her to not have that... When my mother in law suggested that I work for her she said very nastily that we had tried that once but I kept having to go home sick.. which is not true.. she then proceeded to pick at me for my illness... I am so embarresed with myself at this poing and with my ibs that I don't ever want to go back to work.. I just really don't know what to do anymore i'm only 22 and I have so much time ahead of me but it's really not worth looking forward to when I can't even get out of bed some days... I mean not every day is bad some are great and I forget that i am even sick but most suck. I dont' know if I can show my face there ever again knowing how she feels about me and my illness.. I guess in a way her harsh words confirmed every negative thing that I've ever told myself... i feel dirty, i'm unreliable , I have no energy.. the list just goes on... guess I just needed to vent.. thanks guys

·
Registered
101 Posts
chall,Does your MIL understand your IBS? If she does and you like working for her then I would stay. Don't let that other manager's problems (ie her alcoholism) become yours. If she's jealous that your MIL has an extra employee then she needs to do something about it, and that shouldn't include you working for her!If your MIL doesn't understand, then you might want to polish up your resume, or maybe go to school (college, tech, etc).I hope you're getting support from your husband - good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Never let anyone make you feel dirty and unreliable, no matter how hard it is. You know it's the best you can do and what YOU know is worth way more than what others think, especially if they can't imagine how it is to be you and deal with IBS. I'm actually wondering if I hear this story if there are bosses who do understand the problem and take IBS people serious. Now that would be a nice place to work. Anyway maybe you should find another job so you feel better bout going to work?Good luck..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Their are laws in my country that could allow you to kick that alcoholics butt for what she said. She has no right to take out her problems on you. Just bear in mind that this person is damaged goods and has some seriously bad times coming up for her if she truly does have a drinking problem. Ignore her! Just be glad you are not her IBS and all.MNBVCXZ, my boss is very understanding. To the point I feel guilty when I need time off cause he's so nice about it! So there are good employers. They do exist!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh nice to hear there are still bosses who understand this then! I am working on call so luckily when they call me and I have a bad day I can say no I have other plans today and they will call someone else. And if I do have to work it's only 3 or 4 hours. So glad I have this job eventhough the work sucks. But whenever I have a long day of school (Monday until 8.30 pm) I usually wonder how to get through the day without letting anyone notice I have D. Weird though that I have most trouble with it on Monday. Maybe because the week is starting again or something.

·
Registered
143 Posts
MNBVCXZ I do that too, try to hide my problems when in public. I am attempting to overcome this as it is a primary cause of stress always worrying about having to hide when you are sickly. Probably why Mondays are bad for you, the subconscious stress of "here we go again".

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes that might be it indeed. But i think it might be holding in gass as well. When I am at home or outside I just let it go, but in a class there's no way I am doing that when it is so much sometimes. So I get a tummy ache and then loads of D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.