Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS-C about 3 weeks ago and my problems starting around a month ago after I had what I think was food poisoning from a burrito. Since then I've pretty much avoided alcohol except for a few glasses of wine a week, so on friday I decided to go out to the bars and only had a beer and a gin and tonic within a 2 hr period. I felt fine when I went to bed but woke up a few hrs later with a stomach ache and I threw up once but felt a little better afterwards, then about 5 hrs after that I had mild cramping with pretty bad watery diarrhea. I was surprised that such a small amount would bother me since a week before I started having problems I drank about 4 beers and 2 gin/tonics and felt fine the next day. I'm wondering if weight loss could be a reason for this I weighed 147 on Dec. 5 and now I'm at 135, so maybe my system was too weak to handle any type of alcohol? Also is vodka a bad thing to drink with IBS?Brian

· Registered
2,822 Posts
Vodka is one of the few things I do best with (although the result is still pretty awful). I don't know why things would change in only a week. Are you taking any medications at all that may have reacted with the alcohol?For me it really only takes half a glass of something like vodka and lemon or bourbon and coke and the belly starts rumbling. Watery D follows and the next day I'm full of acid burn belly cramps so I don't bother to drink any more. I also find that the more it burns on the way in, the more it hurts me and burns on the way back out

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Well the weight change and the IBS could effect how well you handle alcohol.What people handle when they have IBS varies a great deal.Some people would find the beer more bothersome than the gin and tonic.Did you eat anything at the bar? Sometimes the things like peanuts and stuff they put out get touched by a lot of people so you could have had contact with a virus or something that caused the vomiting as well.

· Registered
57 Posts
Could very well be weight change if you've lost weight and your metabolism changes. Although, think about Celiac disease which makes you allergic to hops, grains, wheat, etc.Just an opinion. Could cause D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.