Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow, don't know what happened this morning - really bad urgency, spent two hours running back and forward from the bathroom, I have no idea what brought that on. I had such griping pains, too. When I look back on what I ate yesterday I can't point the finger at anything, if only we knew what causes these flare-ups. Feeling quite down now. Having a little weep, I've been doing so well, and now here we go again.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh Peaches I had a whale of a flare up myself last week. So I know what ya mean. I learned it just wasn't worth my time to try to figure out what triggered each & every flare up... I mean some of the best minds in the world can't figure this stupid syndrome out... so I don't hold out much hope for lil old me to figure it out! LOL :DBut trust me last week, by day 3, while I was feeling like a completely wet dishrag... just going from the couch to the bathroom & back... I felt a bit low too. But you know what? I know I have an awesome attitude about living with this flipping syndrome 98% of the time. So I DO allow myself a wee bit of sympathy when things are really bad. And they were really bad last week. So.. that's ok. Don't worry and know you are not alone.You were doing well and you WILL do well again! That thought is what keeps me going. These flareups are just the very nature of IBS and will happen. So I try real hard to remember when I feel particularly awful that.. this too shall pass.Wishing you a MUCH better weekend!

·
Registered
311 Posts
been stressed about anything in the last week or so..?????????????..........stress is often a trigger.............the adrenals r what controls the effects of stress & it seems to me many have under-active or fatigued adrenals................

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi Peaches,I'm really sorry you are going through a bad patch at the moment. Last month I had a really bad time and it had been pretty good before that. I just start to get a bit of confidence about being able to go out without worrying and then it always hits out of no-where and then I'm back to being a recluse again. I am also the same as you, I spend hours and hours trying to work out exactly what can possibly cause this. It has to be something dosen't it, so I will keep looking. As far as I can see the doctors haven't got a clue, so it is going to be down to me so i will keep looking forever if needs be. I understand that you are feeling really miserable because it is awful isn't it. I cry a lot when I've got diarrhea because it does feel like no-one understands and sometimes I really don't see the point of it all, I don't want a life where I'm always scared to live it. To be honest, they really try but my family don't understand and I feel very lonely when things are playing up. I know several times you have really made me feel better when I am having a rough time and I have really appreciated it.I am however having a better month at the moment and I even made it to the dentist and had to be in there drilled on for an hour!! So I am very proud of myself. I really hope that it dosen't last for very long and things get better for you soon. You can always message me if you feel down. (from Cornwall too) xx

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Peaches,I'm really sorry you are going through a bad patch at the moment. Last month I had a really bad time and it had been pretty good before that. I just start to get a bit of confidence about being able to go out without worrying and then it always hits out of no-where and then I'm back to being a recluse again. I am also the same as you, I spend hours and hours trying to work out exactly what can possibly cause this. It has to be something dosen't it, so I will keep looking. As far as I can see the doctors haven't got a clue, so it is going to be down to me so i will keep looking forever if needs be. I understand that you are feeling really miserable because it is awful isn't it. I cry a lot when I've got diarrhea because it does feel like no-one understands and sometimes I really don't see the point of it all, I don't want a life where I'm always scared to live it. To be honest, they really try but my family don't understand and I feel very lonely when things are playing up. I know several times you have really made me feel better when I am having a rough time and I have really appreciated it.I am however having a better month at the moment and I even made it to the dentist and had to be in there drilled on for an hour!! So I am very proud of myself. I really hope that it dosen't last for very long and things get better for you soon. You can always message me if you feel down. (from Cornwall too) xx
Hi Claire - thanks for your lovely post, I am feeling a bit more settled now, just had a very light meal, hopefully it will be ok. Well done you, going to the dentist! And a whole hour! I'm impressed lol! The only thing I am worrying about at the moment is making an appointment with SpecSavers, silly I know, but maybe the thought of it brought about this bad time, so pathetic! I just don't know how people with ibs-d get on who have a full time job, I'm retired so I can stay at home all the time if I have to. I would private message you, but I don't know how to do it!Isn't Cornwall lovely and peaceful again now!xx

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The last two-three week have been awful for me...just like the last three yrs at exactly this same time changing seasons summer to fall!!! allegies who knows?? but this sure has been a terrible flare up lost 6 lbs.. cannot eat lots of nausea.....hate this

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So sorry knothappy, it's so strange, I was thinking this morning that I am always worse in Autumn, last September/October were terrible for me, as you say, maybe it's an allergy thing!Do hope you will be better soon.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi Claire - thanks for your lovely post, I am feeling a bit more settled now, just had a very light meal, hopefully it will be ok. Well done you, going to the dentist! And a whole hour! I'm impressed lol! The only thing I am worrying about at the moment is making an appointment with SpecSavers, silly I know, but maybe the thought of it brought about this bad time, so pathetic! I just don't know how people with ibs-d get on who have a full time job, I'm retired so I can stay at home all the time if I have to. I would private message you, but I don't know how to do it!Isn't Cornwall lovely and peaceful again now!xx
Hi,I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better this evening. No it's not silly at all. I worry about going to the doctors, dentist (is the worst for me), even the Vets is a nightmare situation and I do worry about it. I would also worry about the opticians although the dentist went fine but it took me all morning, immodiums, etc.. to get there. It seems to be anywhere that I have to have an appointment and have to sit and wait really worries me the most. I am so pleased that the summer is over as it is so nice to have the area back to ourselves again! I do have to work full time and when things are playing up it is an absolute nightmare. It is also good for me though because it does make me have to go out when it would be much easier to stay home, which I do too much anyway. Take care and I hope you get through this patch quick. I'm sure it'll be me feeling really down next time we chat. If I get a moment over the weekend, I'll write down how to private message someone and post it on these boards for your attention. So that if you want to you should hopefully be able to have a go. xx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to hear that you had a tough day. Those flare-up days can really bring you down, I really understand. Try to get through the bad days and enjoy the good days when you have them. It is perfectly normal and okay to be mad and upset cause it is frustrating to have IBS! For me, it is just nice to know that there are other IBSers out there that understand. I know what you mean trying to figure out what triggered it. I am always thinking, what did I eat? Was it the sugar? The gluten?..etc It seems like many times, I can never figure out a trigger even when I look and look for one. I have found though that certain days of the week for me (Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays) are always bad going to the bathroom 10-11 times and other days are better. For me, it is hard to find a balance between looking for triggers, medications and ways to manage IBS and just plain old letting things go and just living with my IBS. I just wish I felt like I had some control over my IBS and for years I tried to look for a way to feel like I had some control over it, really some control over my life instead of the IBS controlling my life. Sorry, I have been having a tough week too. But, on a good note, good days will be on their way and we just have to enjoy them when they come!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MommyL - Thanks for replying - sorry to hear you are having a bad week too! As you say, I sometimes think what's the point of going over and over what foods did this to me, because there's nothing (in my case) that I can say is the culprit.Best to get on with life as best we can, and enjoy it when we are pain and d- free!Whatever did we think about when we didn't have ibs? I can't even remember now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh Peaches I had a whale of a flare up myself last week. So I know what ya mean. I learned it just wasn't worth my time to try to figure out what triggered each & every flare up... I mean some of the best minds in the world can't figure this stupid syndrome out... so I don't hold out much hope for lil old me to figure it out! LOL :DBut trust me last week, by day 3, while I was feeling like a completely wet dishrag... just going from the couch to the bathroom & back... I felt a bit low too. But you know what? I know I have an awesome attitude about living with this flipping syndrome 98% of the time. So I DO allow myself a wee bit of sympathy when things are really bad. And they were really bad last week. So.. that's ok. Don't worry and know you are not alone.You were doing well and you WILL do well again! That thought is what keeps me going. These flareups are just the very nature of IBS and will happen. So I try real hard to remember when I feel particularly awful that.. this too shall pass.Wishing you a MUCH better weekend!
BQ AND PEACHES,I am with you. I get so tired of the hassle of this IBS. But BQ I think you are right on. We can take and disect this to the gut but it is very comforting that we have a support group here that understands more than anyone this illness and pitfalls. And have sympathetic words from the other IBSers. Thankful for this site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.