Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
PLEASE NOTE: This is not a question about whether you agree with mr Hellinger or not!Linda_in_NJ: What's more, mr Hellinger does not think ones mom is bad in any way. It's not at all about that. It can e.g. be that the mom's mom died when the mom was small and she wasn't able to get the care she needed when she grew up. Such things may affect future relationships. Does that really sound weird? I don't think so.Loopy: Dads certainly have an effect on kids, but not necessarily on their stomachs. I have not yet heard about anyone that has no mom. As far as I know, both a mom and a dad is required for each child.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know that, just my mum died. Still think it is rubbish. Any connection could be made, just because it is common in a few people surveyed does not mean it is true overall. Like the stork/baby analogy. (Sorry I'm a psyc student.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Loopy. I'm sorry your mom died. Was that recently?Mr Hellinger has found out this correlation (and many other) from psyc sessions with a large number of persons, so I want to check if this could be the case for IBS in specific.If everyone that has viewed this question would have taken part in the poll, I would have much more than "a few" answers. I'm waiting for more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Loopy, I'm verry sorry your mom died. That must have been (and be) hard. May I ask what age you were when she died? Was that before you got IBS?Mr Hellinger has made a large number of psyc sessions from which he came to the conclusion and I wanted to make this poll to see if it is true for IBS:ers in specific. If everyone that has viewed this poll would have taken part in it, I would already have many answers.All who read this and have IBS: Please also look and vote in my other two polls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree that Dad's could be just as guilty if this was true. If you have a bad relationship with anyone close it could add stress, which could contribute. For me, grief and health worries for a loved one seem to play a massive role for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Optimist,Yes, I did have a bad relationship with my mother. However, my sisters and brother didn't, yet they have ibs, also.My father had it, too, and yes, he did have a bad relationship with MY mother LOL ...
(but he did have a good relationship with his own).I think trying to say whether the ibs was present before or after my awareness of the bad relationship between myself and my mother, would be a little like trying to figure out what came first, the chicken or the egg.I agree that it is important to consider every avenue, in fact I think it is essential to take surveys on the many possibilities that could precipitate or cause this condition. If this isn't done, there will never be any concrete findings.It's wrong to close one's mind to any attempt to ascertain reasons/causes or compounding factors. The variables are so many and everything should be investigated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did have a bad relationship with both my parents as a teenager, but I dont think that had much to do with it. I mean maybe the stress, but other people have caused me much more stress than they have. I blame mine on my ex husband, cause as I recall it didnt start untill i was with him, and that relationship was nothing but stress. We need to start the blame the ex husband club!

·
Banned
202 Posts
My sister and I both have IBS, she got along with mother but I didn't.My 2 daughters have IBS, we've got a great relationship, always have.I don't think relationships and IBS are related, although the stress of a bad relationship can certainly be a trigger for an already existing problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.