Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
bananas are binding like fish and choclate for those that can tolerate high fibre and fructose there a good idea, unfortunately i cant but i have alot of control mananging my diet, strict but days are better
good luck hope you continue being well

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Different fruits have different sugars in them, so some are better tolerated than others in the diarrhea causing.Usually cooking fruit helps with some of that and bananas tend to be low in the sugars/sugar alcohols that cause loose stools.K.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Strawberry:Serving size 8 medium berries (147g)Calories 70Total Fat 0.5gSodium 0mgTotal Carbohydrate 17gDietary Fiber 3gProtein 1gBanana:Serving size 1 medium (126g) Calories 120Fat 1gSodium 0 mgProtein 1gCarbohydrate 32gDietary Fiber 3gPotassium 300mgAnd remember, I said ONE strawberry. And I'm pretty sure most of the carbs listed come from fructose.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I know bananas are I believe a lot higher on the Glycemic index than most of the berries (Most limit the GI index carb diets tend to limit bananas and allow berries) which tends to be a sucrose rather then fructose containing fruit.(and FWIW stawberries are common in the allergy causing fruits and that will cause diarrhea with much smaller amounts than the fructose could cause)Each person has their own issues, but in general bananas are not in the "cause serious diarrhea in most people" type of fruit which is why they are in the BRAT diet. http://www.bashaar.org.il/files/101022005111814.pdf part of this may be because they have a higher glucose to fructose ratio. Strawberries are about even glucose to fructose. Bananas have a lot more glucose than fructose.If you have more glucose molecules it means you tend to absorb more of the fructose than you would if the fructose was just hanging out by itself.Most of the fruits known for causing loose stools have more fructose than glucose and also have sorbitol in them. When glucose is around it increases how much fructose you absorb.I think something other than the fructose in the strawberries may be going on as the grams of fructose in one strawberry shouldn't be enough by itself to cause serious diarrhea (each molecule of fructose can only pull so many water molecules into the stool) Usually for testing they give you 25 grams of fructose at time (normal people have no problem with 50 grams at a time), so I don't know what the 1 gram or so of fructose in one berry would cause.Usually strawberries are from the article one of the fruits that fructose intolerant people tend to tolerate better.....so I dunno what the what is with you.Do soda's bother you the same way strawberries do? Because even a couple of ounces of coke if it is the fructose should send you into a loop as well, I would think.K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.