Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I am a 23 year old female and the Drs at my university clinic think I have IBS. I do have many of the symptoms and they are sending me for a barium enima to make sure that it isn't something else. I wanted to know what the test is like (I've read so many bad things on the web about it), and if there is anything I can do to make it more comfortbale. Any information would be welcome! Thank you!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi Kristin. I had a barium enema towards the end of last year. I'd had one done years ago and have to say, this time round it what much more comfortable than the last one. If you are from the UK you will be probably have Picolax to take the day before which will clean the colon out. I was given an injection in my arm which was to relax the bowel - never got that on the last test. They then insert a tube into the rectum and start running the barium in. A few times you will be asked to move around either to your left side or right side. They tilted the table at one stage so you are almost upright. There should be a screen at your side so you can watch the stuff going round your colon. I wasn't looking forward to the bit where they puff air in but this time, it really didn't cause much discomfort. When it's all done you go to the loo and expel most of the barium along with rather a lot of gas!! For a day or two after you will find your stools are quite hard and pale as the barium which is left sort of sets LOL. Hope this helps, don't worry about the test, it really isn't too bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info. I certainly feel better now. The Dr. didn't mention anything about a shot to relax the bowel, but hopefully they will do that.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Kristin,I have read on here about having a meds to relax the bowel, but they have never done that to me (I've had 3 barium enemas...one just last month)So, you may want to ask about it ahead of time. But, I was surprised it was not as bad as I thought. The prep is always just awful, to me, after 10 hours of hell with that..the test seems like nothing!But even without any type of injection to relax the bowel, it just wasnt that bad..I thought I would just feel the whole time like I had to poo BAD..but I really didn't. My whole test took about 30 minutes...they do turn you this way and that, inclduing flat on your stomach. The doctor came in during the air contrast part, but I barely felt it.I found I had some leakage after the test, and was glad a wore a thick pad for the drive home.Good luckJeanne

·
Registered
482 Posts
i had a small bowel enema and they put he tube up my nose, down my throat and into my stomach that way... just had some laxatives the day before cant remeber what they were called though
that was about 2years ago i suppose

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who have left a post. My aunt had told me about her colonoscopy (done while she was awake), and her prep before hand. It sounds like the prep is the worste part, which she described as "it felt like I was dying". Needless to say, after hearing that I pretty much was dreading the two days prep for the enima, but you have all certainly made me feel like it won't be as bad as I am imagining and that I will be able to handle it. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts