Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post.I have had IBS for over 20 years. I have always just called is a sensitive stomach but I can have pain from it that is so bad I praying from it, sweating from it and can't move. All depending on which pain it is that comes up on a particular day. In general since I eliminated dairy 10 years ago it got about 30% better. Then when I started eating healthier it got another 20% better.

When I do have IBS, I can have very painful C, that immediately after is followed by one or more D in a row.

The reason for this post is I started having trouble swallowing dry foods. They get stuck in my chest and press on my diaphragm. Even I made a potato soup very creamy but thick and i ate a lit I could get the same pressure. So I was nervous when my GI doc ordered a Barium Swallow Upper GI series. Nervous because I heard he liquid is very thick and gross. But I just had it done and it wasn't so bad.

Now I am worrying because my constipation can get very painful and I heard the Barium is extremely cement-like. I already took two colace pills and 200mg of Magnesium. I had one regular BM already but it wasn't white so I assume that wasn't the barium. So I am wondering if on top of colace and magnesium if I should start Miralax or milk of magnesium or psylium? I have never tried any of these before.

Anyone have a bad constipation experience after barium? If so did anything help? Also is it ok for me took take all of these at one or 2-3 of these at once?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm having this test tomorrow. Just came across your post and was wondering how it went for you. I have the same issues with constipation and am wondering what to expect in the days following the test. Did you have much touble? Any suggestions as to how I can limit the constipation caused by the barium?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the test last Friday. The Barium did not taste as bad as I thought. It was unflavored they aaid the flavors make it taste worse. The test was pretty easy.

After the test the radiologist said the stuff is like cement and comes out like a brick which freaked me out. So immediately after I took Colace (docusate sodium) and I took 200mg of magnesium. I ask in a few groups and most people said that should be enough. Then i made a cabbage vegtable soup that night for the next day too.I had about one or two bowel movements a day since the test yet they weren't white. So I have a feeling its still in me. Everytime its been coming out pretty hard. When I eat ice cream the last 2 nights I had pain in my right kidneys so I have a feeling it is stuck there. I probably should have taken Miralax instead. Im being extremely careful to eat fiber. I added a lot of flax to my oatmeal plus digestive enzymes. The radiologist also suggested Milk of Magnesia. So maybe try that. I see my gastro thur so im going to ask him. Good luck!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well usually the barium swallow solution has an evacuation agent in it.... so I wouldn't worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.