Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been diagnosed with IBS-D two years ago. I have had IBS longer than that, just didn't know what it was. I used to work full time but as my IBS has gotten progressively worse the past two years, I was absent from work more than the job would allow. I have not worked at all this past year due to my severe IBS and 6 months ago applied for social security disability. I am having difficulty with my doctor's office manager. I spoke with the social security case worker who is handling my disability request yesterday and asked her why it is taking so long. She said that she sent a form to my doctors office (it's one that asks questions like how much lifting I can do, can I go up stairs, etc.) and that this manager faxed it back to her blank. I asked why, and she said that she did not know why. I called the doctor's office and spoke with this "Mary" (I will call her). Mary said that she faxed the form to the case worker and it was blank but that she added a note that said that this form should be filled out by my Family Doctor. (My family doc had received this form back in December of 2009 and sent it in along with his records). She said "there are too many non G.I. questions and our protocol is to recommend the Family doctor fill it out." I told her that my family doctor is aware of my IBS but is not the one treating me for it. I asked her (by request of the case worker) to send all treatment records to my case worker. She replied, "She will have to send me a written request for them." I called back the case worker and explained that I was not getting cooperation with "Mary" and she would have to fax a written request for my records. (the case worker said that this office had sent in minimal records back in January but will need the most current ones since I have seen him several times since then). The case worker said she will fax over the written request to get my records from the last three months. I thanked her. (she does seem to be trying hard on my behalf, and she doesn't even know me) and yet I feel this Mary is doing her hardest to make it difficult for me to get my disability by lack of cooperation.I was wondering how important this form may be in evaluating my disability if they have all the doctors documentation, tests, treatment, etc for my IBS. Do I need to speak to my doctor about this person? Do I wait until it gets declined (which according to this forum sounds plausible) before I hire a lawyer? Has anyone gone through this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Do I need to speak to my doctor about this person?
Most definitely. If you were the Dr., wouldn't you want to know? We had similiar trouble with someone in our PCP's office... We spoke to the Dr. about it and now??? No more problems.
Talk to your Dr. If it does get rejected... you are going to have one very long haul with an uncooperative office person.How important is the form??? We are talking about the government right??? I'd say it was very important and the fact that it might be missing is grounds right there for rejection... I'd rather be rejected for another reason other than an uncooperative office staff person.... ya know?All the best

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree BQ. Why should my decision to apply for disability be possibly denied due to one persons laziness and lack of initiative to have the doctor sign a small form? I wanted to ask this person to go ahead and pay my bills for me while she procrastinates dealing with social services. See how she likes it....I am going to take this up with the doctor when I see him.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wish you all the best with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.