Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to IBS. It all started about 2 years ago after I had a bad reaction to an infection in my body.I was put on several different medications to clear up my infection with in turn weakened and really wrecked thelining and strength of my small and large intestines and bowel.I came across this medication: Bavolex and am wondering if anyone has tried it and can give me some positive or negative feed back on it ?I have started a new job and because of the STRESS I am having panic/anxiety attacks and my system is going between constipation and diahrea, like how I felt 2 years ago when I was realy sick with the infection.Tired of feeling this way and I can't quit this new job, I am a single person and only have myself to pay the bills each month.Doctor did put me on Ativan but all it does is make me sleepy. I need to find a natural medication that I can take and combinewith a healthy diet and lots of excersise.Hope someone out there can help me.Thanks so much.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Here is the ingredients and my take from awhile ago when someone else asked about thisLemon Balm is generally soothing usually for anxiety5-HTP lots of IBS effective drugs work on serotonin, but results with that on here tend to be very mixedChamomile also generally soothing, often for anxiety, good if you aren't allergic to it.Ginger is fairly effective for nausea for some peoplePeppermint. Antispasmodic, used by a lot of people here, but doesn't work for everyone, may increase heartburnCaraway seeds. Not many use it here alone but in some combination productsPapaya enzyme, usually not that great, but some like itBromelien, usually not that helpful, but some like itPancreatin, of the digestive enzymes the one most likely to help, and for bloating.Fennel seeds. Usually used for gas, seems to help some hereYou may check your local health food/supplement store to see how much some of these cost. Some of the hyped website type products can be pretty expensive compared to some other products.If the med makes you too sleepy you might go back to the doc, that isn't the only option.Lemon Balm in this and Chamomile are both things that make people sleepy. They are two ingredients in a sleep tea I learned from a traditional Chinese medicine nutritional course I took.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have also heard of SEREDYN. Have you heard anything about this medication ?I want something that acts RIGHT AWAY or rather quickly.I have tried a BUNCH of natural medications, 5 HTP, Gabba, Chamomile, Holy Basil and none calmed me or relaxed me in anyway.I drink peppermint tea cause I get REALLY BAD cramps during my period and that helps me and helps a bit to relax mebut over all when I am anxious the only thing that has been helpful at all has been the strong medications prescribed by theDoctors and I don't want to be on that for a long period of time.It seems when my life changes in any way my body doesn't know what to do with the stress. If I'm not following the same routinemy body is all out of whack. Not only do I have to settle back into a new routine but it seems I have to get my bowel to settle back as well.Wondering if dry skin is a sign of stress as well ?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ingredients look typical.Usually if you need fast acting prescription meds are more likely than herbs, and if you want to avoid drowsy you pretty much have to avoid all the herbs used for anxiety as they all tend to cause some drowsiness. Valarian is also used for insomnia as well as anxiety.Do you have any regular meditation or other stress reduction practice. That isn't a quick fix, but can over time help a lot. Even if your routine varies having 20 minutes a day to work on meditation and also finding 20-60 minutes to exercise even if not the exact same time every day can make a difference in stress levels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts