Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does beano work as a gas preventative? Does Gas-X work to stop gas once it is there....thanks

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Does beano work as a gas preventative?
No.
quote: Does Gas-X work to stop gas once it is there
Gas-X does not stop or prevent gas from forming. It just makes it more difficult for gas to form bubbles, that is for gas to mix with the surface of a liquid. This is supposed to make it easier for gas in the stomach to be belched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
helloOnce I have gas, charcoal tablets work very well for me. They do absorb nutrients but if I am around others and I don't have much of a choice, I take them. They work instantly for intestinal gas.I have purchased some digestive enzymes from GNC before that i use to take before meals but they did not seem to do much for me.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: They work instantly for intestinal gas.
Actually, they don't affect gas in the intestine because they do lose their gaseous adsorptive capability when wet, which happens once they are consumed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If I eat alot of beans, I have a gassy sensatio in the rectum but with Beano, the intestine feels calm, quiet. However, I have I also have the gas I can't feel or smell all the time regardless of what I eat and Beano does nothing at all for the odor. So I think it depends on the way you experience gas. Gas X does nothing for me and I already pass gas without it

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:So charcoal doesn't work?
Through ingestion, no. It is used by the flatulence filter for odor though

·
Banned
492 Posts
beano DOES help me; i usually double or triple the suggested dose. however, it does not prevent all the gas but seems to cut down on it.charcoal...never had any real luck with it.gas-x... same as charcoalfor eliminating gas, zero sugar and low to moderate carb intake works for me.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote:for eliminating gas, zero sugar and low to moderate carb intake works for me.
I say ditto to that (but add starch also), fruits are full of carbs but according to flux they don't cause odor. however I still pass the bad odor even when I think I am gas free. Someone will always let you know ........

·
Banned
492 Posts
flux says that fruit doesn't cause odor...... huh !!!i wonder if he would like to accept my challenge. i propose that both him and me enter a 10 x 10 room, and then i will proceed to eat a whole bunch of raisins, figs, and dates. if he can stay in the room for longer than 24 hours without passing out or succumbing to the horrific odor then i will never question his "so-called" expertise again !!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dried fruits are a bit different on bacteria than freh. I've been told they're a no-no for gas and smell. Something to do with sulphur.

·
Registered
73 Posts
MIKERALPH! HEE, HEE HEE! You got me ROTFL with that one. Hey, I want to be shut up in a 10 by 10 room with Flux after drinking a glass of milk . BWAH,HA,HA! I don't think he would question "how do I know I pass huge amounts of gas". He'd be asphyxiated. He'd look like Arnold Schwarzeneggar in Total Recall! Sorry Flux, but that was too good to pass up. Love ya!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts