Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gardening earlier and my faithful dog was on the porch~as I worked,I saw my dog bolt off the porch,so I went around to see what was going on and,he was chasing a large bear down my driveway,around the back and into the field~I called for him to stop and he did. He came to me~then my neighbors came over to tell me how the bear was over by them and was startled and came over by me. My dog is an official hero to me now~and by the way my IBS and Reflux took a back seat in the event~funny how adrenaline can overcome this~I was pumped up!!
Can you guess what state I live in?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wisconsin or Michigan? I won't cheat by looking at your profile. We have a place in northern Wisc. and we have our "bear alerts." Whenever we see a bear, we call the neighbors in the direction in which the bear is heading to let them know. It really is pretty awesome (when you're in the safety of the cabin) to watch as one comes crashing thru the woods. My son and neighbors grandkids were out playing one evening when we rec'd a "bear alert" from someone down the road. We were frantic to get the kids inside but couldn't find them right off the bat. When we did find them, they had already had their experience with the bear. It ran from them!!! I guess a gang of noisy pre-teens was no match for it
Give your dog extra "cookies"!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
We've had bears in town here in central NC, so it could be just about anywhere.We have bears in the mountains and in the swamps by the coast and the young males quite frequently migrate from one population to the other.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in northern New Jersey! The bear population is increasing and we are seeing them more often. The ones, I have seen, have steered away from us,but travel through our properties. I am now glad that my fearless poodle will guard me! I don't want to be in the position that they are close to me~I know they are afraid of humans~but I do think I'm more afraid of them!!
I should do some relaxation techniques re: bears teeth and when they stand on their hind legs~now thats a visual~~~~~Holy Smokes~Anyone here,that can provide any useful info when encountering a BEAR :showbear:!~

·
Registered
568 Posts
I live in central NJ and we hve 'em here too! In fact a couple of years ago they cancelled our Memorial day parade because of a bear hanging out by the parade ground!It is a little unsettling even if they are afraid of us.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The most important thing is do not run. Things that run are prey.Make sure you give the bear a way to leave so it won't feel like it has to fight to survive.Standing up on the hind legs is usually a signal they are trying to get a better sniff and isn't aggressive.Agressive behavior is snapping the jaws, whoofing, or ears back and charging.Black bears (the only ones in the east coast) tend to avoid confrontation so standing your ground talking softly to the bear and backing slowly away usually works.Don't throw things at the bear as that may provoke it.One caveat to the talking softly and backing away thing. Feeding bear encounters. If the bear is in your campground at night and goes to pull you out of the tent be aggressive to chase the bear away. It thinks you are food and laying still protecting your neck and belly makes it's job easier. Daytime encounters are usually not feeding encounters, but try to be aware of cubs in the area and back away so you are not moving closer to the cubs. If the bear attacks during the day protect your neck and belly (curl up put hands on neck). Usually in daytime encounters once it is clear your not a threat it usually goes away.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice K~Thanks~I needed a referesher course!! I just spoke to another neigbor and she was telling of her encounters with the bears and cubs~they like her property because it is at the edge of the woods and near their path to the swamp.She spoke that here in NJ bears are not hunted,so they are prevalent,are they hunted in NC? She said they are hunted in NY. What constitues some states allowing the hunt and others not?Once again,thanks for your help and insight~!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't think there is a bear hunting season here, but there could be.Each state's laws vary as to what animals can be taken, when, #, and what under what conditions. Like alot of places have 2 deer seasons. One for bow hunting and one for shotgun hunting.I'd imagine that each state has some sort of wildlife commission that sets these things up, but since I don't hunt I don't really know. I'd think factors like the size of the animal's population and the hunting traditions of that state play roles in figuring out the regulations. K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My poodle is very much in tune with me. He knows that I don't function as well as others. He therefore is like a shawdow to me! I think it is very true that animals know when something is wrong with you,and my black poodle took his life in his hands to avert the bear away from me. He is so humble with all the Hero talk today~he's a doll and I have even more respect for his love today~~~I rewarded him with sliced London Broil and alittle fresh mozerella~~Yum,he said!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.