Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I just wanted to know if there was anyone else who prodominantly has their IBS symptoms in the morning when they wake up?It seems that from the minute I get out of my bed in the morning, for the next couple of hours I get really bad pains in my stomach, excess gas and usually BM too. It's getting really frusrating as I am worrying about it before I go to sleep at night!Has anyone beaten their morning symptoms? Do you have any suggestions to try and stop the morning symptoms? I usually don't have symptoms at night, maybe the odd spasms now and again but never BM or gas.Thanks in advance,Rx

·
Banned
202 Posts
Hi Rachl,Do you have diarrhea in the morning? You mentioned BM but not which one.If you have diarrhea in the morning, I would suggest taking Immodium at night. My mornings are the worst for D. I've tried the immodium advanced. It helps for diarrhea and gas. I would try it in a low dose to start off with. Maybe 1 tablet instead of the recommended 2. When I took 2 tablets, it really plugged me up, and that's not good either.Other people have good results with Immodium. It may be worth a try.

·
Registered
623 Posts
mine is bad in the mornings right when i wake i have to go!!!But i only go once in the morning pretty much maby twice but not that often and my pain isnt really bad just the urge to have to go bad and i have to run to make it

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes it is D in the mornings, other times it is 'normal' but there is still a lot of pain (it is mostly the pain that annoys me). But there always seems to be an urgency feeling...no matter what kind of BM it is..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yulp, every morning i get up, i got to go. It seems like its a traditional thing now. When i was a lot younger i didnt have to go at all in the mornings. Of course i am bigger now but still the idea of going #2 everyday still bothers me to this day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My IBS acts up the most in the morning. On good days it is only in the morning, which are becoming more and more frequent. I love it like this. Yeah, it hurts a lot but then for the most part I can go on with my day like a normal person. I wake up with cramping and gas (which sucks the most) but then I go to the bathroom (usually d) and it's done. I have heard people mention taking Immodium...I personally do not recommend it...but of course everyone is different. Immodium would probably take away the morning BM and the other symptoms. But I found that overall it increases cramps and gas, for me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
how i can tell i have rapid transit is by what i eat like corn are peanuts i will have them in my stool within 12 hour after eating it and some other food i dont break down as well somtimes

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm definitely like clockwork in the morning but I actually like that because I know I get it all out of my system before I leave for work.What's really weird is I feel like my belly knows when its safe to go crazy and when not to... meaning on the weekends it feels so much worse. It's like I am allowing myself to be sick and relax (if that makes sense!)Jen

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
One reason why mornings are a problem is the stress hormone cortisol, which helps wake up the gut.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
It can also rise if your thinking about work or how your IBS will be that day and has many functions in the body and is important in the fight or flight responce."Just Thinking About Work May Trigger StressNEW YORK (Reuters Health) - While on-the-job stress is a well known and widely felt presence, new research suggests that even thinking about Monday morning may send people's stress hormones upward. "http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/th...rs_stress.shtml

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
How many here with this problem are D?How many C?and how many c/d?and how many pain along with it? Or just pain?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Have you ever noticed if this comes on more on workdays then your days off?Or if your mind is racing more in the mornings about work or even the day ahead of you?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
By the way forrest I owe you a call. I have been working some 14 days straight. So I will call sometime next week so you know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get pain in the morning, then BM. I am usually D with some spells of C. The pain is really bad like cramps and spasms and just generally yuckyness!!! I think it is brought on by stress!

·
Registered
623 Posts
yes mine is bad during the work week and is better on the weekends that i have off plus i stay up late and sleep in on the weekends so i think it changes my bowell habbits because iam not up at 4:30 am on the wekkends iam up at 9:00am

·
Registered
22 Posts
My symptoms are always dominant in the morning. That is why I wake up about 2 hours before I have to leave for work so I can "work the kinks out" of my gut before I need to get on with my day.If your D or gas is bad enough to wake you _from_ sleeping, though, I would see a doctor as it's not a typical characteristic sign of IBS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.