Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, guys, I've been to the store and have questions. A lot of you swear by Caltrate Plus. It's a calcium vitamin! How does this work on IBS D? Also, why in the world do I want to increase fiber with Citrucil or whatever? Will this help me have real stools instead of the water BM's that I can't hold?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Billie, I dont know how the caltrate works, I wonder about that myself, the only thing I can think why it works is that vitamins are constipating. As for fiber, it adds bulk to your stools. Citrucel or metamucil acts likes a gel and absorb all the water and make your stools firmer. But make sure you drink alot of water otherwise you will have rocks in there and nothing will pass around it. Add other form of fiber too, like vege, fruit with the skin on, bran, wheat, beans, they do the same things and more pleasant to eat than to drink your food. But a supplement is still a good way to add fiber but it might also give you gas but as your body adjust it will pass. Hope this answer your question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Billie-I have been taking Fibercon for almost a year now. I have d-type IBS and the fiber just helps to firm things up, also I go a little more regularly. I like Fibercon b/c it is pills, not a powder, liquid, etc. I take 2 each morning. The Caltrate Plus has helped me sooooooo much. I think it has something to do with calcium being constipating, but I am honestly not sure. You should definately try it-take 1 after each meal. I hope you find as much success with Caltrate as I have. Good luck! -Kayla

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Billie - don't know how the Caltrate works, but it does, and thats all I care about! I take 3 a day and I don't take anything else, except Lactaid for my milk intolerance, so I don't know why you be asking about the other... did someone say you should take that too? Why not just try the Caltrate - it stops the "D" and won't constipate you if you adjust your dosage a bit...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anxious, Kayle, & Silver: Thank you for your advice. I'll buy it tommorrow and try it. Will let you know how it turns out. So far this week I haven't been able to try anything new because I had to be out and about for hours at a time. Thank God the Immodium worked. Starting tommorrow I'll back off the Immodium and try the Caltrate and fiber to harden things up. You guys are a life saver. Be in touch later. Billie

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Kayla is right - it's the calcium that does the "constipating". You can do a search for more info on Caltrate Plus.Ty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.