Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my name is natalie. iam almost 30 years old. i found this sitetally by accident searching the internet! i want share my story in hopes that someone out there is going through what ive gone through in the last 7 or 8 years! so here it goes! it started about 7 years ago when i went to my gynocolgist. i was having very severe pain. and severe severe periods! based on my sytoms my gyno dignosed me as having endometiosis! she never did a laspscompy just treated it with lupron shots which didnt work! this went on fora few years! then i started getting frusterated and started looking for another gyno.thinking in my head that i had enometrisois! my husband na di have been married for 11 years! we have not been able to have children since i ahd my misscarriage back in 98.i went on delaing with the pain escapilly during my monthly period sn when the pain got worse and being intamte with my husband statted getitng more painful! Back in 04 and o5 i had 2 surgeries for fibromatosis. and since i was 13 ive ben delaing with depression! then at age 19 got dignosed with bipolar. so theresa liitle history for you!then june of this year the pain got so bad i could barly walk i was tired all the time, i was constantly going the bathroom! and i stated to have alot of constipation and diarehhia! when i ahd my surgeries they ahd to remove part of my small intestine, part of my colon. well back to june the pain kep geting worse and wosre i was seeing doctor after doctor with none being bakle to give me any starught anwsers untiol today when i wenrt for my 2nd appoinmnet atmass general hopsital! i told him my symtoms and my story he looked at my reports! and he truly thinks i ahveIBS after doing some reseacrh on it. sicne i havea history of depression and i had major bowl surgetry becasue thats where my tunmor was whn i had the cancer he thinks thats what it could be along wiht adhesions from my past surgeris, anda gasteral intestionla probolem which would make alot of sense!the pain is so bad im constantly tired, i go to the bathroom uranate alot, and i either have alot of constipation even when im not dehydrated or i have diearehhia alot its goes abck and forth betwen the two! so for 7 years ive htought it was endoemetrosis but all my interanls and ultrasounds have come back negitive! i turn 31 next month and ive been living with pain 24/7 for the alst 7 monthes, but maybe lonhger that that i just didnt know what it was and it got worse! i always though it was just abd periods or bad endo, this mihght be the naswer ive ben looking for! i needd some support, i was working ful tiem and got let go for other reaons but i cnat do myu job as a toddler teacher righ now until i get some kind of relief, im not even on any pain medication really! im allergic to pergaset, vicodin and codine. they ahd given me darveset about 3 monthes ago when i was in the hopsital for almost 2 weeks with crippling pain! i need some support and help and need to know that someone understand what im delaing with!Natalie~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Natalie,Your story sounds VERY similar to mine. I have been having severe pain since I was a young child and I'm still having the same pain, only much more severe now and I am 21 years old. I was also diagnosed with Endometriosis back when I was a junior in HS. I had the surgery done where they go in and burn it out. I was still having severe pain after that so they did the lupron shots which also didn't help. They then put me on birth control and I have been on it ever since, and that doesn't help with the pain either. Every period is extremely painful - I can't get out of bed the entire week. I have been dealing with depression since I was 7 years old. I have been diagnosed with several allergies and it is to the point where I can only eat about 15 different foods - all of which are fruits and vegetables. I cannot eat anything solid, I have to blend/liquefy everything before I eat it. I resorted to baby food about 7 months ago because it was easier on my stomach. Everything else I throw up shortly after eating. Most of the time I am lying in bed because I am in so much pain. I also have constipation - it is so bad sometimes I go a month or two before I go. I urinate all the time as well. I wish I had some answers for you but I don't. None of my doctors can figure out what is wrong with me either. But it is nice to know that somebody else out there knows the kind of pain I have to deal with on a daily basis! Thank you for sharing your story. -Peyton

·
Registered
262 Posts
My sister had endometriosis and it had a deeper cause--insulin resistance or decreased insulin sensitivity, (causing the nodules in the fallopian tube). the decreased insulin sensitivity causes the various cells of the tissues of the body to "suck up" less sugar. The elevated blood sugar reaches the brain and turns off an area called the ventromedial hypothalamus (VMH). This causes less firing of the vagus nerve which propagates colon contractions. The result isconstipation. The constipation --equivalent of stretching the proximal (Right hand side) colon, has been shown to cause an adrenalin-like projection to the nucleus tractus solitarius (NTS) which reduces the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. Gaba at the NTS causes gastric emptying--thus it's reduction causes delayed gastric emptying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where can I get more information on insulin resistance or decreased insulin sensitivity and the other things you were talking about? It sounds almost exactly like the same problem I have and I'm really interested in finding out more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think my sister was wrong about insulin resistance being a cause for endometriosis. Endometriosis pain activates the anterior cingulate cortex,(ACC)--Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008 Jan;294(1):R162-71. Epub 2007 Oct 17.Endometriosis as a neurovascular condition: estrous variations in innervation, vascularization, and growth factor content of ectopic endometrial cysts in the rat.The activation of ACC is associated with increased metabolic brain activity. ACC (anterior cingulate cortex) nociceptive transmissions are mediated by glutamate receptors. An increase in brain activity produces glutamate, which increases brain metabolism. This decreases glucose and causes activation of VMH, which causes the vagus to fire and causes proximal colon contractions (right side pain) and may cause vasovagal reactions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The activation of ACC is associated with increased metabolic brain activity. ACC (anterior cingulate cortex) nociceptive transmissions are mediated by glutamate receptors. An increase in brain activity produces glutamate, which increases brain metabolism. This decreases glucose and causes activation of VMH, which causes the vagus to fire and causes proximal colon contractions (right side pain) and may cause vasovagal reactions.I want to take back the above comments because they are beyond my area of experience. The important thing is that endometriosis is unrelated to insulin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts