Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i'm new here, and just wanted to ask you all...Have you had toke so much time off work that your boss has told you...you face losing your job?my last job, my employers told me my absence was too high and i should see a doctor.. i told them, on many occasions, that i had been to the doctor, but there is no cure, only prescriptions.got so bad that i quit (after getting another job) and now i think i'm at breaking point, plus stresses in life dont help... constantly wanting to cry, feeling usless and helpless.does anyone else ever feel like this?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Hi all i'm new here, and just wanted to ask you all...now i think i'm at breaking point, plus stresses in life dont help... constantly wanting to cry, feeling usless and helpless.does anyone else ever feel like this?
It has been a long time since I felt that way; but before I found an effective treatment, I was contemplating and end to it. If it hadn't been for my wife's job, I don't know how we would have gotten through some of those years. So, yeah, I know all about useless and helpless. I can only encourage you to keep trying treatments that have helped others. Personally, I tend towards supplements; but that is only because I have treated so many problems in my aging body through that route. The thing is--and this really applied to me back then--if you don't keep trying things you are guaranteed not to see this resolve.Don't give up, just keep searching.Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all i'm new here, and just wanted to ask you all...Have you had toke so much time off work that your boss has told you...you face losing your job?my last job, my employers told me my absence was too high and i should see a doctor.. i told them, on many occasions, that i had been to the doctor, but there is no cure, only prescriptions.got so bad that i quit (after getting another job) and now i think i'm at breaking point, plus stresses in life dont help... constantly wanting to cry, feeling usless and helpless.does anyone else ever feel like this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
KellBell, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. I've been there done that. I did continue to work but did alter my schedule in an attempt to keep working. I don't know if your job and/or boss would allow you to change your schedule, I worked evenings which allowed me to avoid the dreaded mornings that are hard for all of us, it also allowed me to avoid some of the peope who were less than understanding and reduce my stress level. I also limited eating,focusing on staying hydrated to keep from triggering my diarrhea. I also (when possible)would listen to relaxation tapes(during lunch and break time)I figured I might as well use that time well since I couldn't eat much anyway! If possible try talking to your management maybe there would be a different position that would make it easier for you. I hope that joining this site you will find some different things to try I already have rec'd some suggestions that I intend to try ASAP. Good Luck, I'll wish for better days for you! WISHES

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had to leave many jobs for the same reason. Even jobs where I am sitting at a computer all day answering phones...when you have to go, you have to go. one large nationwide cell carrier I worked for told me I could only have 2 five minute bathroom breaks a day. i asked if they wanted me to use the trash can...they didn't like that too much and that was after my doc wrote out a definition of IBS and my symptoms as well as the fact there is no cure. They still let me go. I applied for disability two years ago and was turned down even after the doc made me squat down in the floor after I begged to go to the bathroom and had an accident in his office. It seems no one really takes it seriously except those of us who live with it. But the more people you tell, the more people are informed, you have a better chance of keeping a job. If you are up front during an interview and let them know you need regular breaks to visit the restroom, most of them are interested as to why and are understanding. However mine has been so bad over the past few months I cannot work outside of my home. So I am stuck here at the computer, but if you are able to get out and work, please tell employers about the IBS before you start. It will save you a lot of heartache and room on your resume. Michelle

·
Registered
19 Posts
They still let me go. I applied for disability two years ago and was turned down even after the doc made me squat down in the floor after I begged to go to the bathroom and had an accident in his officethat is seriously out of order !!! u should of reported that doctor !

·
Registered
5 Posts
They still let me go. I applied for disability two years ago and was turned down even after the doc made me squat down in the floor after I begged to go to the bathroom and had an accident in his officethat is seriously out of order !!! u should of reported that doctor !
Probably I should have, but didn't think it was worth my time. They don't think that our self worth means enough as it is. So I guess I didn't think his was worth my embarrassing myself by telling the story to others...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.