Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone says my IBS, or anything I get, is just my anxiety. If I would just "GET OVER IT and MYSELF" all my trouble would go away. Drives me crazy. Anyone else heard this?.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After a series of negative tests, my first Doctor basically said it was all in my head, take these pills for heartburn and get over it.For a year, suffering every day, I thought it was all me. Work became increasingly more stressfull and my symptoms kept getting worse.I found a new doctor who believed me when I explained my symptoms.I was finally diagnosed with IBS in September.Ribs, have you been officially diagnosed. If not find yourself a new doctor.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yeah I have heard this MANY times too, even by my kids. UNTIL they have seen me poo all over and it came form NO WHERE and I could not control it.I say until you walk a mile in my sjoes don;t tell me how IBS works

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Well I can yo-yo mine by going off of my supplement and then going back on. There is an old study out of Australia that indicated their sample all had lowered brain circulation in one specific area. No one will ever convince me that I am creating this out of my head.Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, nomoney, I have been diagnosed. But I didn't believe it at first because there was no "test" that said so...just series of tests that showed nothing else.I attended a Johns Hopkins seminar after my diagnosis and my doctor was one of the guest speakers. During the talk he casually mentioned a study or something in Japan ( I think) that people who have extremely painful sigmoidoscopies are usually people with IBS. That's when I finally believed I had IBS. I only wish he would have told me this during the testing period! Saved me months of worry I didn't have IBS but terminal disease!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
ribs Have you read this from Johns Hopkins?http://hopkins-gi.nts.jhu.edu/pages/latin/...se=43&lang_id=1Nobody makes IBS up. However it is well known now that both the brain and the gut can trigger the symptoms and that IBS is considered a brain gut axis dysfunction. Another recent development is the demonstration of Post Infectious IBS as a brain gut disorder."What is the Brain-Gut Interaction? Can it Influence Symptoms? The central nervous system and the gastrointestinal tract are linked. Information continuously flows back and forth within a network called the "brain-gut axis." These interrelated feedback circuits can influence brain processes and bowel functions. Normally, these interactions occur without conscious awareness in most healthy people. But in persons with functional GI disorders, these interactions may be consciously perceived and may play a role in symptom generation, such as feelings of pain or discomfort. Three systems are involved in this dialogue: The normal stress response system that helps the body adapt to change and ensure survivalThe signaling system (serotonin) within the gutThe brain, which perceives and responds to gut signals. "http://www.iffgd.org/symposium2005report.htmlWhile structural cell abnormalities have now been found in subgroups of IBS, as well as other abnormalities, they still involve brain gut axis.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Ditto all of the above!sometimes i just don't understand why people think in that way... don't our symptoms say that we're suffering and that it is real?my pet counter-argument is, "if you get the flu and can make it go away with your mental power, then, i can try and wish my symptoms away!"

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
"Irritable bowel syndrome is a disorder of motility of the entire digestive tract that causes abdominal pain, constipation, or diarrhea. In this disorder, the digestive tract is especially sensitive to many stimuli. Stress, diet, drugs, hormones, or minor irritants may cause the digestive tract to contract abnormally, usually leading to diarrhea. Periods of constipation may occur between bouts of diarrhea. Irritable bowel syndrome affects women 3 times more often than men.The brain has enormous control over the digestive system. Stress, anxiety, depression, fear, and virtually any strong emotion can lead to diarrhea, constipation, and other changes in bowel function and can further worsen a flare-up (bout or attack) of irritable bowel syndrome.During a flare-up, the contractions of the digestive tract become stronger and more frequent, and the resulting rapid transit of food and stool through the large intestine often leads to diarrhea. Crampy pain seems to result from the strong contractions of the large intestine and increased sensitivity of the receptors in the large intestine that sense stretching and pressure. Flare-ups almost always occur when a person is awake; they rarely wake a person from sleep.For some people, high-calorie meals or a high-fat diet may be to blame. For other people, wheat, dairy products, coffee, tea, or citrus fruits appear to aggravate the symptoms, but it is not clear whether these foods are actually the cause. Others find that eating too quickly or eating after too long a period without food stimulates a flare-up of irritable bowel syndrome.SymptomsSymptoms are commonly triggered by eating, often by eating too quickly or too much. A few minutes later, diarrhea with pain occurs. The diarrhea may begin very suddenly and with extreme urgency. Sometimes the urgency is so strong that the person loses control and cannot reach a bathroom in time. Diarrhea during the night is rare. Sometimes constipation and diarrhea alternate. Mucus often appears in the stool. The pain may come in bouts of continuous dull aching or cramps, usually over the lower abdomen. The person may experience bloating, gas, nausea, headaches, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and difficulty concentrating. Having a bowel movement often relieves the pain. Periods of stress may worsen symptoms."http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch129/ch129d.htmlIts extremely important to understand in IBS a persons state of mind can greatly effect their IBS symptoms. This does not mean IBS is all in the head or IBS is just psychological problem. IBS is now understood as a brain gut axis problem. That is very important. For one because all pain is processed in the brain and because the brain has a huge influence in digestion, it too is a target for treatments.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
ribs Have you ever heard the term enteric nervous system? Do you know what that is?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYI"Recent studies point to an increased sensitivity of the sensory nerves in the intestines. Normal movements of your intestines may be perceived as cramps or other discomfort. The intestines share nerve pathways with the brain. In many situations, when the brain reacts to something -- like the sound of a dentist's drill -- the intestines, or gut, pick up the same signals and react. The majority of people will ultimately have some kind of gastrointestinal (GI) symptom when exposed to stressful situations. If your GI system is a bit too reactive, you will experience symptoms in more types of stressful situations than someone else will whose gut is not quite as reactive. What is stressful for one person may not be stressful to another, and lots of people don't even realize it when they get stressed -- they just feel sick. Finally, there is the "gate theory" of how pain is experienced. When pain originates at some point, nerve messages pass through something like a gate on their way to the brain. The wider open the gate is, the more pain that is experienced. By thinking about and focusing on the pain site, we open the gate. Plus, feelings of anger or worry or sadness can open the gate. However, we can also help close the gate. Turning attention away from the site or feeling of pain, through relaxation or focusing on some other activity, can help close the gate and lessen or even eliminate pain. A well-known phenomenon that demonstrates this is that of the athlete who plays a game while injured, oblivious to the pain. The athlete is completely focused on the game and does not feel pain. Then, after the game is over, the athlete turns attention to the injury and feels pain. Whatever the cause, you can do something about it! It takes some effort but there a number of ways that you can help yourself. "http://www.aboutkidsgi.org/questionsandanswers.html#fap

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think what they were trying to tell RIBS is that part of your root cause of ibs could be from the fear of public restrooms phobia that I also developed when I hit high school,so I would avoid natures natural signal to go potty,because it was at school and quarterback of the football team would walk in on me if I went at school.Then in the morning before school,with all my bros/sisters/mom/dad getting ready for work/school and only 2 bathrooms for 6 of us,I didnt always have a private,unhurried time then either .Pretty soon 2 days became 3 and then it felt like a brick inside my tummy,and to make it worse I ate NO fruit,all cheese,bread ,and pizza. The only way to get some private,unhurried( it used to take me 15-20 minutes at least)time to go potty was to stay home from school by telling mom I had tummy ache from C.She feel bad for me and let me stay home from school a lot ,but she insisted on an enema to get rid of my problem .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts