Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Behold the awesome power... of pancakes!

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ShowBiz 
G
#1 ·
This week I will mostly be avoiding... gluten, with surprisingly good results. I won't bore you all with the details, but I thought I'd share a little handy hint that I've discovered when it comes to packed lunches (it's always tricky eating on the run AND managing a ridiculous taste free diet too). I discovered that if you're avoiding gluten and you want a quick, non-messy packed lunch - basically YOU'RE BUGGERED. But, never fear, for after spending countless hours in my lab (well, the kitchen) the 'geezer has discovered the answer... read on for enlightenment.My new trick is to make little thin pancakes using rice flour (or buckwheat flour), an egg and rice milk (or normal milk if you prefer). They take literally about a minute to prepare and cook. I make loads of them and stick 'em in the fridge. They make a good alternative to sandwiches since you can put (or roll up) anything in them that you want; sweet or savoury. They keep for at least a day in the fridge, and if you freeze them then they defrost in seconds in the tucker fuc..., er, the microwave.My favourite is the 'breakfast pancake' that invloves frying up little bits of sweet potato and banana before putting in the mixture. MMMmmmm. Right, I'm off for a.... pint. Only joking, a pancake really.Enjoy.

#2 ·
Hi ukgeezer, your pancakes sound good to me, I'll give them a try with your favourite breakfast mix. When I was doing my gluten-free diet, I practically lived on Corn Thins, they are like rice-cakes, but thinner and crunchier, they have them at Tesco (at the part where they put crackers and such). Can be hard on your teeth though, but have lots of fibre!Fay

#6 ·
This post really had intrigued me. After reading it(in the USA,sorry
), I'm thinking WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!! Thanks GEEZ. Its a great alternative and sounds just yummy!! THANK YOU!! BQ

#8 ·
Yup, Ryvita and wheat free bread is just TOO crumbly and messy to eat on the go_Okay UK, I want your pancake recipie & quantities please!susanp.s JOrdan's Fruisli bars are great wheat free snacks for on the run - they're soft and chewy rather than brittle and messy. Also gives a good boost to the ole blood sugar.

#9 ·
uk-- Great idea!I do the same thing with these special oat-rice waffles that I make. The preparation is quick and they are very hearty, as they are made with oats (like Quaker Oats) and rice flour. They don't get smooshed in your bag like muffins or other baked goods, they don't crumble all over, etc. AND they taste great heated OR just plain (I add extra honey, as well as nutmeg and cinnamon) to the recipe I use. I think I posted it before in the recipes area, but if you want to post your recipe, I'll post mine, and then we'll all have two great ideas for lunch for those of us who are wheat-free (oats have SOME gluten, in some cases, so those who can't tolerate oats will have to skip my recipe).Regards, Lilymaid

G
#12 ·
YEP! Pancakes DO work wonders on my largegut! I go to a McDonalds in a nearby suburb here in Minneapolis each morning fotheir hot cakes and sausage. My gut is nonethe worse for wear even with the sausage.McDs makes this quality product, despitetheir fast food gut-breaker reputation.Huzzah for McdDs. And it is cheap -- threepancakes with sausage for a little overtwo bucks, which includes our sky-highMinnesota tax. And I put on plenty ofsyrup and butter. I note that a CanadianIBS diet recommendation includes hot cakesand syrup.
------------------Jim

#13 ·
starting this week I'm trying to avoid wheat and I've given up already! These pancakes sound pretty good-what is this muck they call bread when it's gluten-free food-free and taste-free? It's all very well being told to eat rice but when I have my lunch I want something nice in a sandwich not a bowl of rice or a rice-cake! How does rice flour cook, does it taste like regular flour? Teresa.

G
#16 ·
Star, re: quantities.The best I've come up with is this.Ingredients1 large banana.Some olive oil.1 egg.Approx. 1 heaped tablespoon of rice flour per pancake (I do my pancakes in a little frying pan - about 7" in diameter).Splash of rice milk.MethodTo make the batter, just the beat the egg thoroughly (I'm nasty like that) and add the flour and milk until the mixture has the consistency of thick soup.Next, heat the olive oil, and when it's hot put in some banana to fry for about 60 seconds.Add the batter, cook for 60 seconds or so, flip it over... again, wait 60 seconds ... et voila!I spread all sorts of things on them. You can also do them with apple - if you microwave a peeled apple for 60 seconds, then chop it up and fry it like the banana. Lovely. Aren't I good to you...?Someone asked about cooking with rice flour? My experience is that when baking, things tend to come out a little crumbly and light compared to wheatflour. Mixing in a little buckwheat flour helps this, but it's not the same as wheat (doh!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.