Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mentioned several times in past postings that I am the sole caregiver of my ill husband. It isn't easy while having to deal with my IBS. Is there any one else who is a caregiver on this board?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello there,I'm not a caregiver, but I'm a stay at home mom and isn't easy. Are you IBS-C or D? I'm a C and only by the grace of God and His help I can still get up every morning and have the joy of the Lord that is my strength. Hope you get some more replies from other caregivers and support.God bless you,Abi

·
Registered
617 Posts
I understand completely. My husband has had 2 heart attacks, quadruple by-pass surgery,he is a diabetic, and he has sleep apnea, and he has had back fusion surgery too , all in the past 5 years and he is only 51. I suffer with IBS-D with alot of pain and I still have an 11 year old at home who is in alot of swimming etc. that I have to drive her too. Plus during the school year I babysit everyday for a school teacher. Only the Lord can give you the strength to do it all. I hope you find strength in him.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for answering. I am IBS-A. I have had IBS for over 40 years now.My husband is 83, has a seizure disorder and also has had quad bypass and repair of a AAA. He has expressive aphasia due to his seizures.He is still ambulatory, but otherwise isn't able to do much. He doesn't drive anymore, but still thinks he should be able to. I can't leave him alone for long during the day and not at all at night.He continues to deteriorate as time passes. I also work at my son's as their housekeeper. I get paid. It is the only work I can do right now because of my husband's condition. I am able to bring him with me which I could not do at another job. We need the money, so I have to bring it in somehow.Sometimes I find my life overwhelming. I would like to get away once in awhile, but I can't. Trying to take a trip with my husband isn't worth the effort. It is very stressful for me to take him anywhere overnight. I never know when a seizure might hit and we need to be close to home for that reason.I am pretty much burned out, but I see no end in sight. I deal with my IBS as best as I can, but having to deal with so much for so long has been difficult. I try to remain positive but it is so hard sometimes. Thanks for this board to be able to vent when necessary. Much
to all of you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
nerfmom,I understand exactly where you are coming from. I am IBS-D(diagnosed in Dec. 2005), 35, and was my mother's daily caretaker for 13 years. I also have 2 young sons (5 and 8) and I baby-sit for a family friend's 2 children (6 and 4). So I am a very busy person for being a stay at home mom.There were so many times though that I would just have loved to lock myself in my bedroom and pretend that I was 16 again with not a care in the world.My mother had Crohn's disease, COPD, diabetes, kidney failure(resulting in 3x per week dialysis), and a broken popiteal artery in her left knee (resulting in her being bedridden for the last 13 years of her life). There were times I would get so burnt out I just wanted to scream.Just remeber that we are here for to vent your fustrations anytime you need to.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Have any of you ever thought about finding a service dog to help your loved ones? They do all sorts of things from helping a person walk and stabilizing them, to alerting to seizures, helping with laundry and other tasks, etc. Getting a service dog may help relieve some of the burden on you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both of you. I wish I could get my family to understand. Right now, my son and daughter in law ask a lot out of me, but don't do anything to help in return. I mentioned that I really needed to get away for awhile, but they won't do anything to help me do that. I myself am not a young woman and I am really exhausted, more so lately. We don't have the money to hire help.Getting a dog in our small apartment will not be helpful. Besides we already have 2 cats and that is enough. For some reason, I am very tired today. I am doing the housework and laundry here, as Sunday is the day I put aside to do so. I can usually get into the communal laundry room easier on Sunday. After I finish with it all, I am going to take it easy. My husband usually is able to help with some things.I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.