Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you feel better by strapping a belt around your body... in the upper and/or lower belly area? I do...Let me explain a little better... I only wear it (sometimes two) while I'm in the privacy of my home, as it looks pretty silly... anyway, I just wear an ordinary belt, but I wear it around my body above the waist, around my belly... sometimes up high around my ribs and belly... sometimes lower, but still above my normal belt/waist area.It seems to help with the bloating/gut discomfort. My ribs feel like their being pushed outward --- for lack of a better way to explain it. The belt/belts just kind of "holds everything in".Now, keep in mind too, I'm not overweight at all. I'm height/weight proportionate. Very little belly... just a tiny bit of "pudge" that seems to be pretty common with IBS people. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else tries this. One more thing... I've been reading some of these posts about parasites and see some VERY SIMILAR symptoms with me. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to see if he'll check for parasites... or, at the very least prescribe Flagyl or the Doxycycline and Iodoquinol combo treatment.P.S. I posted this question on someone else's posting, but I wanted to make sure lots of people saw my inquiry. Sorry for the double post...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi,I wear a rib belt from time to time because of a consition called costochondritis... basically, hypermobile ribs in the joint with the sternum... very painful. Anyways.... I have noticed that when my bowel is really acting up, that if I lie face down on the floor, the pain is greatly lessened.Its like it is pushing everything back.... Odd I know, but it does seem to work.L

·
Registered
428 Posts
I can't imagine wanting to put anything around my waist or stomach when my tummy is acting up.Usually I feel this most when sitting at work during an attack. I just can't wait to get home...take off my belt and pants and lay down.The relief of taking all pressure off that area feels great.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Lincoln's post:Its like it is pushing everything back.... Odd I know, but it does seem to work._______________________________________The above post was exactly what I was trying to put into the right words on the other post regarding Hysterectomy Girdles.I'm sure those things have another proper name but I don't what they are really called.It's also the same thing my wet suit did for me.Only with the wet suit I'd float in waterbecause the 3mm suit makes you very very buoyant and you can just hang there with very little effort and allow the body to be suspended loos in the water and that does a lot for easing internal pain.For me it was an essential part of my physical therapy to handle some of my pain.I also had spinal massage done in the water with me floating in the wet suit and having someone else do the work.Actually the wet suit was also therapudic formy shoulder and neck pain from old injuries too.Sometimes a bit of compression feels good but then there are other times if the colon has a back up going on that anything tight is uncomfortable.During those times of the colon back up I really don't want anything tight or restrictive.Then I only want to wear jogging pants.Also during the times when I only want to wear loose stuff I get reflexology done to help relieve the pressure and I know I also need to be on time with my meds to help avoid a shut down.I don't particularly like the water if I'm backed up but if I'm in spastic mode and hurt from the spasm then the water and compression seem to be the answer.Kamie

G

·
I wear most pants, sweatpants or jeans with a nice stretch waist or larger waist. Cannot tolerate the pressure of tightness on the waist or belly. Sometimes the stretchy pants even bother my belly. All is good until I eat.Char

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This is a rather interesting topic for me. In order to expel gas or go to the bathroom (at any time) I actually have to give my abdomen a strong inward push. I just slowly press with my fist until I nearly reach my backbone. I can often determine if any responding noises are gas, liquid, or just my gut.Oddly enough, the ONLY place on my body that doesn't feel much pain is my abdomen. The outward pressure is so great that the tightness of the muscles keeps me from feeling much (and often times keeps me from going). It's like everything below my belly button and above my legs is frozen stiff. Those antispasmodics or "gut relaxers" (like Levsin) make things even worse by forcing everything to remain completelty idle.Anyway, I picture a tight belt possibly helping to "squeeze" out gas and trapped stool sometimes. However, since I continually have some degree of nonstop bloating, the belt seems to "reinforce" or strengthen the bloating and pressure. A tight belt doesn't cause any pain, but it certainly increases my awareness of the discomfort.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi In Pain, I put on a 3 inch belt on rising in the morning and it really makes my stomach feelmuch better.Like lying on your stomach to ease a belly ache. I wear it until I put on pants and belt. I'm glad others have found it helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.