Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive jsut been to the chemist to get some more Loperamide, and the pharmasist offered me Bentyl as a replacement. She said it would treat nausea, bloating, cramps, and diahorea (Sorry spelling is awful!). It seems a lot to expect it to treat all this so was wondering what joy anyone else has had??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bentyl is an anti-spasmodic. It can keep the bowel from spasming causing the pain and D. I used it for a little while but it would back me up for days after taking it. It didn't do anything for nausea or bloating for me. But it did put a pretty quick end to D. I'm using Immodium now instead.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've taken Bentyl before and it did work pretty good for a while. The thing I didn't like about it was you had to take it 4 times a day, and I hate taking pills. Give it a try it might be just right for you. I hope so.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi there, i was on bentyl for about two years, it did alleviate my pain colics (pain attacks) but not any of my other IBS or C- symptoms.I do agree that I did not like taking it four times a day, that was a lot of pills... but again it was a blessing not having my colics.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Arnie W:Apparently the side-effects from bentyl can include decreased urination and sweating. Now that would be a bonus for me. Did anyone notice anything in that regard?
I'm 34 years old and have awful night sweats even when I'm on medication that says it's supose to decrease your sweating.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've taken Bentyl for almost two years - also goes under the name Merbentyl or Dicycloverine. It does help with the spasms (yes...I said the word spasms
). I was taking it as and when needed as I too don't like taking a load of pills each day. Dr did tell me it works better if you take a regular dose rather than as and when the pain starts. Can make you feel a bit tired but this wore off - mind you, I'm always tired so didn't affect me too much. It's listed on www.remedyfind.com under IBS on the left of the screen. Quite a few people have rated it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.