Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GI doc gave me Bentyl (but I got the generic version) yesterday and I took it last nite for the first time. Oh my god. I read the side effects, made sure I was aware of what might possibly happen, and I swallowed it. I had the worst drug experience I've ever had.About 20 minutes after it went down my throat, I started having dissociative feelings. I was completely out of my mind and I think it was pretty obvious that I was on drugs. I had severe nausea and was running to the bathroom many times, but I never threw up. My lips were smacking, my heart was fluttering, my stomach was cramping in a different way than it normally does, I had shortness of breath, my legs felt like they had weights in them, my face looked like that of a ghost. Whenever I touched a part of my body, for instance my arm, it would feel like I was touching someone else's arm, not mine. I also had loose stools instead of the "constipation" like it named on the side effects, and I couldn't get to sleep last nite. That all lasted intensely for 3 hours. Today, my chest hurt and I felt dizzy, and I let my doctor's office know what happened, but no one was able to get back to me about it today. The doc gave me 20 mg, which is a normal dose of it, so I figured it would be alright. I don't know if I took too much, or if the pill just really didn't agree with me.I'm happy this pill works for a lot of people, but I don't plan on taking it anymore.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That is really bizzarre. Sorry to hear you had such a crappy time. It makes some people feel "Weird," but not like that! Please be careful, if you try another anti-spas. It coulda been a reaction to that one specifically, or it could be your system doesn't tolerate that kind of med at all.slacker

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the concerns. My doctor's office did not get back to me this week, so hopefully I'll get an answer on what I should do next on Monday. My old GI doc gave me Levsin, and that didn't give me any weird side effects, but it also didn't do anything to help with the spasms either. Oh well. I'm just having a bad week of flare ups, that's all. It will hopefully go away soon!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, I can't say much about your side effects as I take bentyl with virtually no side effects at all except maybe a dry mouth; however, I would consider getting a new DOCTOR if you called his office reporting all of those reactions and no one got back to you IMMEDIATELY!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha. Jennie, my parents used to call me Jenny Penny when I was little!Donna, It's somewhat disappointing because all of the GI doctors that my insurance will cover are in the same freaking office! I'm on my second one there so far.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hmmm dicyclomine didn't work for me either... actually I think it kinda made my symptoms a little worse, but not extremely so... didn't have any horrible side effects to that one... I take levsin now and that works great... been taking that as needed for about 2 years now.... the only pill I've had any serious reaction to was amitryptaline (sp?)... that one gave me horrible abdominal pains when I'd take it... and questran powder set off my IBS really bad when I had been doing well up until I took it... ah well... live and learn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alritey, the doc put me on Donnatal and it's working well. The first time I took it, it made me pretty drowsy, but now it doesn't give me any side effects and it seems to take my pains away pretty well.I used to have levsin, but it didn't do anything for me. Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm on target with my stomach for now!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Bentyl gave me horrid side effects too. I don't remember exactly what they were because I only took one dose about 5 years ago. Donnatol is better but doesn't seem to work very well. Unfortunately for me tylenol and codeine #3 is the only thing that really works so far. I make sure that I don't take more than two in a weeks time and that the pain is unbearable before I resort to such drastic measures.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
The reaction you had is unusual enough for me to ask you how you know that it was Bentyl that you took?Do the pills have anything written on them? Did you bring them back to the pharmacist and have their identity confirmed? If the drug was indeed Bentyl, I suggest reporting it: http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/how.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 25 and have had I.B.S for seven years now. I was given nothing for a long period of time and finally given bentyl/dicyclomine about five years ago. With no major side effects other then a little elevation in heart rate or occasional sleepiness. However I've found it to be nothing more then a bandaid for the problem. I recently switched to Anaspaz possibly referred to as Levtin. It's a quick dissolving med that gets into your blood stream much more quickly by placing it under your tongue. My experience with it is minimal but I have found some releif with Anaspaz. I'm still waitng for Lotronex (GlaxoWelcome) to finish their studies and start redistributing. Lotronex in my mind was proof of a cure it just was'nt tested enough. I still have a supply I resort to when nothing else works.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was also prescribed 20mg of Bentyl several years ago, and I experienced all the major side effects including blurred vision and headaches. While the drug did stop the spasms, it practically knocked me out. I was so sleepy that I had to take the day off work or leave work early every time I needed to take a Bentyl. I told my doctor this, then she prescribed a 10mg dose instead. This smaller dose still stops the spams 90% of the time, and eliminates all the side effects except for fatigue. I still feel sluggish and need to curtail my activity for about an hour after I take a Bentyl, but it doesn't ruin my entire day anymore.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I take bentyl as well and it doesn't help that much I'm looking into herbs right now because I'm so sick of suffering with the D form of IBS I have had IBS for 5 years now and I hate it
I need ways to cope before I loose my mind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.