Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently take bentyl/dicyclomine 20 mgs. 4x a day. Does anyone else take this? Have you experienced any weird side affects? Does anyone know if this is addictive or not? or if your system becomes dependent on it? I have muscle spasms and tightness in my back and this seems to help it some. If anyone knows anything more about this medicine, I would appreciate your sharing it with me. Thanks!Terri

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi Terri. I've been taking Bentyl for about two months. 20mg x 3 times a day. It does tend to give you a dry mouth but I'm getting used to that. If you have a look on page two of this forum I posted a topic "does Bentyl cause bladder problems"?. I think you need to drink more fluids when taking this medication. I have to say it's been about the best medication I've tried. The pain/bloating which was constant is so much better. It may not work for everyone though. Maybe in time your body may get used to it, I don't know. For now it's working!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I take 20 mgs of Bentyl every six hours as needed. It was just prescribed to me for my IBS-D flare up. It does seem to make me feel slightly loopy and dries my mouth a little bit. I started out with 10 mgs which did nothing for me, so now I'm trying 20. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just recently been diagnosed with IBS tho I suspect I've had it most of my life. It can go dormant for months, even years, and then flair up again. I'm having a particularly bad time this past 6 months or so, and now I'm having weekly "attacks" as I call them. I've just started taking dicyclomine for the cramping (which is my MAJOR problem!) but it knocks me out and doesn't really ease the pain. I'm looking for some kind of pain killer that will still allow me to function normally. Does anyone know anything about DICETEL? It's described as a "calcium antagonist"(???) and has a "highly selective spasm reducing action".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.