Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was recently diagnosed with IBS. I was given Bentyl and it helped for a while, but now it seems not to even effect me! Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need a new med or what?Also, I have horrible nausea. I know some people say this isn't related to IBS, but I really believe it is. I've tried Phenegan(sp?), Reglan and Zofran. Neither of them seem to help very much. Anything else I can try?!
I have IBS-C&D. I can't seem to treat one without bringing on the other. Is there something I can try that won't effect me TOO much!? lolI know what bothers me and I try not to eat it, but lately nothing is working! Is there anything else I can do? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was on Bentyl for a while also and it stopped being effective for me as well. I talked to my doctor and he said this is not unusual. He put me on Levbid after that, but I found the side effects to be too bad to continiue with it. He now has me on Donnatel, which helps some. I don't know if that is an option for you, I am strictly IBS-D. Talk to your doctor about changing your meds. That really is the only part of your question that I really have any input for. Hang in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to take Bentyl when my symptoms were really bad (about three years ago). Then I only took it as needed. Now that my probems are flaring up again, I also find that Bentyl provides little relief. I would be interested in hearing if something else starts working for you. I also have nausea sometimes but my stomach cramps are what really kill me. Take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have HORRIBLE naseua...ALL the time! It sucks...I used to be on Bentyl all the time, but then I found out it can actually worsen IBS-C...so I got off it. Now I take it occasionaly when my cramps are so bad I want to sry...ALWAYS helps me...or at least knocks me out so I can sleep! Good luck and let me know if you find ANY neasea meds or relief.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello,I have taken Levbid, Levsin, Donnatal and Bentyl, in that order and have moved from one to the next because they stopped working for me. I am on Bentyl now and it seems to be 75% effective. When I am going to have a bad spell, I am just going to have a bad spell, nothing seems to stop it. It is really frustrating that I think I have finally found relief and then a few months later I am back where I started.
I don't have insurance right now, so I have to deal with what I can get but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Carly

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi irrational_enigma , I'm an alternater as welll and I HATE that doing something to cure the C leads to D and that treating the D leads to C! Its very frustrating. I use bentyl as well - i started out taking 10mgs three times a day and that worked but it didn't work completely - so now i take 10mgs 3 times a day and 20mgs iwth my dinner. My GI said that it was ok to use extra as needed. I tried Levbid too and the side effects were horrible for me. I have mild reflux too so i can't do the peppermint thing, but some people claim that altoids are a great way to relax you gut -- i think some people even swallow them whole to get the same effect. So, to work with my IBS - i use bentyl, citrucel as a fiber supplement and self-hypnotherapy to help me deal with stress. Oh and i've found that immodium and my C/D side don't get along very well -- if i take immodium to stop the D the C is ridiculous, so i rely on pepto - works well enough and doesn't bring on the C too bad. Hope you are feeling well!-kac

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's such a relief to hear someone else say they suffer from nausea! Whenever my bowels are in an uproar, I'm usually terribly nauseous as well. I also have gastric reflux and a hiatal hernia, so all-in-all my gut is a mess! I've had IBS since I was in my 20's (now I'm 58) and quite honestly, it still freaks me out when I get bad spells like the one I'm in now. Bently doesn't do much for me anymore, Levsin made my pain worse. I've also been on Nexium and then Protonix for the acid reflux, but both of those meds gave me a lot of upper stomach pain, so I had to stop them. I think I keep the makers of Pepto Bismol in business!! Lately, I've had to add some Immodium to the mix as well. The first 2 weeks in August I had C, then I got an intestinal virus and haven't been right since. I also have MS, and my GI doc has started me on Baclofen, which is a muscle relaxant used to treat muscle spasticity in MS patients, but they are finding now that it also helps some people with reflux and upper GI symptoms because it helps the sphincter muscles in the esophagus to calm down a little. It may help the reflux a little, but I think it's giving me more nausea. One of the side effects is supposed to be C, but not for me!!!!! Anyway, I guess the most important thing is to try to accept that we have this problem, and to go on living our lives the best we can. I tend to worry over everything, including my IBS, and think it's "something serious" this time, even though I've had all the "oscopies" a person can have!!! Mind over matter definitely is a factor in this illness. Good luck to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.