Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to take Donnatol for my IBS. I have the uncontrollable diarea and cramping kind of IBS that flares up every few years when I am really stressed out in general. So anyway, then I used to take Hyosophen, and now I am trying Bentyl for the first time. It is acting up in a bad way again and I am really scared.SO I am trying Dicyclomine from my GP and I have the 10mg capsules. It says to take it 30 minutes before eating food but I have not eaten food for a few days for fear of the repurcussions. Anyway, how many capsules is everyone actually taking and how many times a day? I am wondering what the range is and when people are taking it.Thanks for your reponse.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Mya, I'm sorry to tell you that not eating for a few days will probably mean that whatever you eat next will prompt a D attack. Skipping meals is can bring ON Diarrhea. Eating 6 smaller meals a day is easier on our guts. So try real hard Not to skip meals. Also those medications all should be taken only as directed by your Doc. They are all anti-spasmodics; they will only relieve spasms, not prevent D. Some anti-spasmodics, like Levsin, have Constipation as a side effect, but they weren't designed or prescribed to prevent diarrhea. Take immodium if it is ok with your Doc, to prevent diarrhea. Since you haven't eaten in a few days, (I sure hope you have been drinking water though) your best bet is to start slowly with the food. But still expect some diarrhea til your system gets a decent amount of food in it. You could try the BRAT diet at first (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast (dry). Then gradually add soem lean protein and then some well cooked veggies. This could take a few days, be patient. Please check out this website. It is very informative and helped me tremendously. Don't forget to click on "Related Diets" at the bottom of the page for loads of food info. http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs03.htm Now don't freak out when ya see "High Fiber" diet there. There are different kinds of fiber and the site explains the difference. Right now though since you have been fasting, I would work up any fiber very very slowly. It is SO important NOT to skip meals. Honey it just makes the diarrhea worse.Try to get yourself built back up over the weekend and use immodium if you want to go out.Use the anti-spasmodic med the Doc gave you as directed still. But make sure you only use One anti-spasmodic at a time. If you are having any more problems or questions about how to use the meds, please call your Doc and discuss it with them.I sure hope you are feeling much better in the next couple days. Please be sure to drink enough fluids too. Pedialyte popsicles or a lil Gatorade may help too.Let us know how you are doing.BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Mya, One more thing you might want to add is Calcium. Many folks with D have discovered that taking Calcium can help greatly to reduce their D. Now the only thing to make sure of is that the form of Calcium supplement you take has NO magnesium in it. Check out the OTC (over the counter) Forum right here. Get there by going to our "Hop To:" navigator and scrolling down to OTC and click.Here is a thread from there with Calcium info. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...42;t=000001;p=1 (btw User "Lnape" is our resident Calcium expert and she is just great and very helpful. Feel free to post questions to her there.)(((mya))) Really hope you feel better soon. I know how awful you are feeling right now. I am so glad you found us here. BQ

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The 10mg is actually the children's dose, so you can take up to 8 tables a day (2 with breakfast, 2 with lunch, 2 with dinner, and 2 at bedtime). They really help me a lot. You may have a few side effects at first (like walking into a room and forgetting what you went for), but hang with it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi Mya,It's nice to know I'm not alone and often stop eating too. I do it mainly to get a break from the mega pain I get. I always have D so I can't tell when I do start getting again. It is good to start with a low-residue diet. Gatorade is a good idea. Also popsicles, jello the typical liquid diet. And don't go more than three days in a row. I take the bentyl. It does nothing for the pain but may be more helpful to you. I hope this info helps you. Happy 4th!!!LouLou

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey mya,this board is a great source of information for us ppl who suffer from IBS. i use to take the 10mg, but the pains were still there. so my doctor increase the doasge to 20mg. i am to take the pills 3 times a day, but they kinda make me drowsy!!!!! and the only time that the cramping occurs is in the early mornings... weird. i only get the cramps when i lay for long periods of time. like 4-5 hours after bed time.
im still confused re: the meds, cuz i still wake with the cramps. some days they are mild, some days they are HORRIBLE! they range from day to day. and some days, i the cramps are non-existant.... i like those mornings
as for the meds, they may help me, but they really dont exclude the cramps... that is my opinion. but hey they may work for u... i hope they or something helps u ...let me rephrase that.. i hope certain med would help ALL OF US!
i hope u find something out there...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My prescription is for 4x a day. One before each meal and at bedtime. They are 10mg also. I have had to double the dosage at times and take two until some of the cramping has subsided. I am a C type and they do seem to work but I only take them when I absolutely need them because I hate the drowsiness and dry mouth that I get when I take them. Also, I cannot go into the sun with them at all... MYA, I also noticed you said that your GP was prescribing this medicine for you. Have you seen a gastro for your condition and what do they say?The BRAT diet and calcium are good suggestions also.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I took 20 mg. 4 times/day, 1/2 hr. before each meal and at bedtime. The 20 mg worked great for the painful spasms and trapped gas.Stacey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To All who responded to my initial posting regarding Bentyl/Dicylomine:Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice. I really appreciate that everyone took the time to type out a reply. It is nice to know that I am not all alone in this! I have an additional question for anyone who lives in the NYC area: Does anyone know a good, kind, compassionate Gastroenterologist? I have been to so many jerky, famous and not so famous ones that I just cannot bear to go to another one but I fear that some further tests are needed at this point and my GP will not do them even though I think that he is terrific. He wants me to see a GP and I just want to get a recommendation from somebody that was a patient of the GI rather than a doctor referral. Thanks.MYA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts