Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -It's been a long time since I posted on here because for about 6 months I had found a routine that was working! And everything was good. Instead of having only 1 or 2 good days a week, I was having 1 or 2 bad days a week. BUT THEN around June, things flip flopped and I couldn't figure out why and for the last 2 months things have been SO HORRIBLE and awful that I couldn't wait anymore and I finally went to a doctor (I am sans health care, hence my hesitation during the last couple years). After crying to her and saying all the things I'd never been able to say to any of my friends and family (only here in the forums), she listened with patience and then gave me some prescriptions to try. I'm supposed to go back in a month for a check up. She gave me amitryptiline (sp?) as an anti-depressant, since we figured that the reason things have been worse is due to stress and she said sometimes anti-depressants help people with IBS. And Bentyl, to try. (She also gave me Lomotil (sp?) but said she wanted me to try the Bentyl FIRST and if I wanted to try the Lomotil be very careful not to take them on the same day). WIth all my crying and just being thankful that she said there was a way to "fix" it (or at least make it bearable), I forgot to ask a couple questions and when I called today to ask she was busy and the secretary has an attitude problem so I didn't feel comfortable just leaving my questions. I will call back tomorrow but I wanted to ask you guys since there is so much experience in these forums. And maybe some of you might have some destressing/coping ideas too!So --- do I have to stop taking the Digestive Advantage if I take the Bentyl?----- I've been taking vitamins (Calcium, Vit. D mostly) but I can keep taking those right? They can't hurt?----- Has anyone been put on amitryptiline and had bad experiences? I took my first one last night and so far feel okay. No weird side effects yet. How quickly do these kinds of meds take to have an effect? 2 weeks? 1 month?---- I was pretty much living on Immodium and Pepto before hand (always taking one before a meal, and right after a meal, if I was with people) as a preventative..... Since I will be taking Bentyl, does that mean I can never take an immodium again? (I am asking because I have to go to a baseball game tonight with my boyfriend, ug, and I am just nervous and like to be prepared. Immodium has been my defense for so long, it would feel weird not to have a pocket full . . . . . )---- For those that have tried Bentyl and Lomotil, experiences? Good? Bad? The ugly? (When I did a forum search for Bentyl, it said it was flooded with results and I would have to search again, lol, so I'm assuming it's been discussed)It felt good being able to finally get so much of my stress and distress off my chest and tell a doctor. She wants me to come back in a month or so for a checkup and to schedule blood work so we can start testing to make sure its not worse than IBS. She always wants me to play around with my diet - leaving out dairy one week, leaving out wheat another week - to see if we can narrow it down that way. I mean, I've been playing with my diet for a year, to the point that my friends just think I'm the pickiest eater they've ever met. I cut out soda and coffee and caffeine entirely. I had to give my sweet tooth a break. I don't eat pizza nearly as often as I would like lol. I rarely drink beer, sticking to red wine (which seems to be okay! Is that weird??). I only eat poultry and fish. Nothing fried. But still, the last few months have just been god awful. Whereas I had figured out my trigger foods for the first part of the year, it seems now that NO MATTER WHAT I EAT sends me running to the bathroom. Eating has become this chore that I dread but what's worse is that I'm constantly hungry. People always joke that I must be pregnant because I am always hungry no matter what. But the doc said that's probably cause nothing is staying in me long enough to give me nutrients. If that's true, why have I not lost any weight? That would at least be a perk, huh? Sheesh. Sorry to ramble. Thanks to everyone in this community for being a support. You guys rock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I have been prescribed the bentyl i take a generic the bottle says dicyclomine I can't afford brand names. I take it only when I get the really bad colon stomach cramping pain and it helps me with the pain. My pills are 10 milligram. It helps with the pain but not the diarrhea, it also makes me very drowsy. Medications tend to make me drowsy so maybe you won't have the same side effect. Let me know how it works for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And also about the weight. I had diarrhea so bad everyday for months and some how I gained 5 pounds. I was not happy at all about that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts