Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi can anyone tell me what bentyl is for and what reaction? my doctor handed samples to me & said to try & he takes to o. thanks mari

·
Registered
699 Posts
According to my "pill book", Bentyl is an antispasmodic and has been used for many years to calm a "nervous stomach." I'm on it myself and it seems to be pretty effective with no side affects that I notice. The Levsin I was on worked a bit better but made my mouth so severely dry it woke me at night! Hope it works for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bentyl is an antispasmodic. Unfortunately, I have discovered that these types of meds don't work for everyone. If Bentyl doesn't work for you, let your doctor know so that he can try you on a different one. I'm jealous that you were able to get a sample of it. I had to buy a whole month's worth and then discovered that it didn't work. Good luck.Chris------------------If a toilet is my throne, I want a padded seat!!!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I took it and it worked great for about two months, then it started to have less of an effect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bentyl worked for a short period of time for me and then I was put on levisin. That seemed to a very depressing effect on me. So my doctor now has me on Librx.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone i am sorry i got back so late had bad bout with gut. i guess ill try bentyl but if not long lasting well dont know. also i was on librax for yrs & that really helped more thanks a million great board & friends . feels good i can go here & have sharring help from others again thanks loads marmar59

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took Bentyl off and on for a couple of years, and it didn't work well for me- it lessened cramping a bit, didn't help the "D", and made me feel exhausted, nauseous, dizzy and gave me blurred vision. The side effects got worse the longer I took it. If you read in the PDR, it says the level that clinical trials have showed to be effective is way more than most doctors prescribe (something like 8 per day), and I couldn't stand up if I took that much. But, lower levels do seem to work for some people- just not for me. I have used Librax as needed for the last few years, and find that much more helpful. But everybody's different, and it wouldn't be prescribed so much if it didn't work well for some.kate

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was prescribed Bentyl today. He said to take it as needed when I have a cramping D episode. I've also tried Librax which didn't seem to do a thing. When do you take these medicines? Daily, as needed, before meals, etc???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took bentyl for a while several years ago for IBS D, spasms and cramps. It didn't work on me and it gave me a bad taste in my mouth. I find librax much more effective and keep an RX of it around for bad times. I think you take bentyl the same way as librax, for me thats 3x a day and at bedtime if I need it, but I find that I don't need to take it to long for it to have an effect. IBS is so variable for all of us and the way these drugs work is sort of the same. Some peole can take one for years and it works great with no side effects, then all of a sudden it stops working. Give the bentyl some time begore you deciede it doesnt work, but definately tell your doctor if you experience any side effects. You can try different ones. Your DR should be able to write you an RX for a small amount till you know if a certain med is good for you. Be real careful taking things like librax and bentyl during the summer, they (and other similar ones)decrease sweating and it is easy to get heatstroke and not be aware of it. Check out the medication section under patient education in this website. It has lots of info www.gicare.com ------------------Nancy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts