Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hi Audrey;Yes, I have taken Bentyl for the last almost 9 years. At first, it helped alot, but I had to take 20mg after awhile because my system built up a tolerance. If you've never used it, I'd give it a try. I'm not taking it anymore because I don't like the results I get with it.One suggestion I would give you is to make sure you take it 20-30 minutes before eating. I used it when I would be going out to eat.It does make you feel a little spacey, so I wouldn't drive until you see how it makes you feel. Major dry mouth!! I always kept something to drink handy or mints, hard candy, etc.If I got a flareup with bad cramps that came on quickly, I would take the bentyl as soon as I could get my hands on it, but it does take time to get through your system. Usually about 30-40 minutes later, the cramps would subside. Once in awhile, I would have to go up to 30mg of Bentyl, but not more than that. Hope it works for you. I tried Levsin over this past weekend, and for me, it was like taking a placebo. It did nothing for me.The other thing to be very careful about with most of the antispasmodics is to watch yourself in the sun. Make sure if you're out there for any length of time that you keep yourself plenty hydrated, and cool, as it has a warning that heatstroke can happen if you're not careful. I've taken it when I've been to my pool all day, and it was very hot out as I live in Virginia. I just drank tons of water and got in the pool and cooled off often. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I tried it years ago - as I remember, I also got a little of the spacey feeling. It didn't work well enough for me to put up with the loss of function. But others I know take it with no problems.Marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont recall feeling too 'spacey', but it didnt help my symptoms at all. I only used it for about 14 days because it really messed up my vision. I couldn't focus on anything or I would get crosseyed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was put on Bentyl too. To try to control D. type IBS. Was on it about a month. Terrible problems with being (not feeling) spacey. Spacey is too mild for how I felt. Also, didn't find it really helped much. Now looking for alternatives. Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried bentyl too. I never had the spacey feeling, but did build a tolerance real quick and the cotton mouth really sucked. If you took it every other day or every two daysmaybe this won't happen. I just take it once in a blue moon as a last resort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.