Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Irish Princess, The main side effect people complain about from this type of drug is dry mouth. i tried Levsin first (same class of drugs as bentyl) and the dry mouth was pretty ridiculous. I switched over to bentyl and didn't really have any side effects with the bentyl at all. I use it every day and i don't go anywhere without it. So i would say give it a try if you think it would help. If you're more interested in going natural - there are some that swallow peppermint altoids for the same affect - or drink peppermint tea. Good luckkac

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wouldn't discount this drug yet. Most drugs have long lists of possible side effects. It doesn't mean you will experience any of them.I have taken Bentyl for a few years and have had no side effects.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Irish princess, As much as i hate to say this - its been my experience that most IBSers know more about current treatments than most doctors do. Keep yourself educated and don't be afraid to ask for meds or treatment options you think may help you. Good luck!kac

·
Registered
14 Posts
Irish Princess,I'm on Long Island. My doc is in Bay Shore - Dr. Jeffrey Ashkin. I did go to a doctor in Rockville Centre (Nassau) Dr. Daniel Mausner. Call information and get the #'s. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've been on bentyl for about 4 weeks and haven't noticed any major side effects. i do feel more tired than normal and it seems like i think i see something out of the corner of my eye, but when i turn and look nothing's there. neither one of these is bad enough to make me want to stop taking the med. the good FAR outways the bad, but then again what med doesn't have some kind of side effect. for me, personally, i have noticed that it's more for prevention of D; taking the med once a D attack has started doesn't stop it, unlike immodium.

·
Registered
888 Posts
i take this, although it is called merbentyly here. ive been taken it for a few months, and it was a last shot because i had tried spasmonal, colofac (in large doses too!) and buscopan and nothing seemed to help. my doctor said that merbentyl was his fave and i did notice the difference within a few days, as he said. ive had no side effects at all with it. i take 3 20mg a day and havent noticed anything strange.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.