Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading on what people eat and i'm just confused now for IBS-d? Sometimes i read high protein/low carb, then i read eat fiber (wouldn't this make you go more to the toilet?), theni read eat wheat bread, then white bread!I dont' know what to eat anymore!!! any advice?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Every person with IBS is different.What diet works for any given IBSers is different. It depends on a lot of factors as to which thing sets which person off.There is no universal this is what you should eat with IBS diet. There are no universal foods you should avoid. The best diet for you will not be the best diet for someone else. The reason there is so much conflicting information is it depends on what is setting them off, which may not be what sets you off.Fiber absorbs water and makes loose stools firmer for some people.Some people do white bread over wheat bread because the mix of soluble to insoluble fiber is different. Soluble fiber may be better for some with IBSd than insoluble.Some people have the exact same symptoms no matter what diet they eat. If this is you, eat healthy and what you like and don't worry about the millions of conflicting diet advice information out there.Some things do tend to trigger diarrhea so may be things you need to look out for. Usually the best way to find what works for you is to keep a food journal and note your symptoms. If you always have bad symptoms after a particular food then you may want to limit that. Sometimes you don't have to totally eliminate it, but you may have to make that something you only have in very small amounts. Sometimes you have to completely eliminate it.Common IBS-d trigger foods (some of which may help if you have constipation)Fatty/Greasy meals (increases the gastrocolic reflex)Fruits containing sorbitol (plums, peaches, apples, pears, cooked versions are OK)High Fructose Corn SyrupOccasionally Lactose containing foods (can use lactase enzyme to prevent this).K.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's exactly right about the common IBS-d trigger food.Grease and fat for sure. Apples seem to be OK for me.I would also like to add here coffee; and to lesser extend chocolate. In my case, jams and cookies may also be bad.Another thing is eating large meals at once. Sometimes eating one large portion may give me a bad D, but splitting it into 3-4 smaller portions over the 3-4 hours goes fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts