Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend was diagnosed with IBS a year ago. He was given some medication for it (forgive me, I don't know the name) but it didn't work too well. He doesn't like going to the doctor often and he hates the idea of taking pills every day (especially when the pills don't seem to help). I'm going to force him to go to the doctor soon, but before we go, can you tell me what some of the most common IBS medications are for men?With his IBS, he suddenly gets bad diarrhea and has to go *now*. Usually it's after he's eaten food with a lot of dairy in it, although occasionally it's often brought on by stress. He usually has two-three bouts of it each week. It's really starting to control our lives - this morning he missed his flight back from a business trip because of his IBS. Because it's gotten to this point and now it's no longer just an inconvience, but a real disruption in both of our lives, I'm going to make him go to the doctor again.Most of the IBS medication seems to be geared towards women, and I know there are some big differences between men's and women's IBS medicine. Which are the most common meds for men with IBS?Thank you so much!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the "for woman" is the newer drugs and a few of the tricyclic antidepressants.The antispasmodics are all old enough that they were approved back when pretty much all drug tests were done in men only. For some people taking one before a meal will damp down that post meal response. If lactose seems to be a problem Lactase enzyme may help.Some people do well on a low steady dose of Imodium, but his symptoms may be far enough apart that may be too constipating. (Imodium falls into the old enough to have been originally tested in men) He could also try 20-30 minutes before meals that tend to be bothersome if he can predict that.Questran is a bile binding agent used for cholesterol that can ease diarrhea and I don't know of a gender bias with that.Probiotics help some people and I know of know gender bias with that. DA-IBS is available at some drug stores and seems to work well for some people. He may find brands with "Prebiotics" like "FOS" may be more likely to increase gas at first than brands without.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts