Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bad pain sometimes from my IBS, what are the best drugs to take to control the pain?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Now that all depends on what type of pain your are having.Gas which causes cramping and blolating- SimethiconeInflamation- Alevemuscle spasms, intestinal- imodiumheadache- Tylenol, Asprin, Aleve These of course are all OTC meds.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For IBS generally pain meds fall into two categories.1. Antispasmodics--they relax the smooth muscle and when it doesn't spasm it doesn't hurt.2. Antidepressants--they block the nerves from transmitting the pain.Narcotic pain-killers are generally not used, or are used as a last resort.OTC I find that sometime Peppermint oil can work (it is an antispasmodic and the cheapest way to get it is in Altoids which use real peppermint oil)as can Pamprin or Midol (a cramp is a cramp).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, The pain I get sometimes is like a dull knive in the pit of my stomach. It makes me double over to ease the pain.And if i eat anything it gets worse.I have been to the ER a couple of times because the pain was so harsh and they found nothing other than IBS and I was given a "pink cocktail" to drink and it killed the pain great!I have been taking DICYCLOMINE 10MG and it has been working, but a couple of times the pain has been so bad it did not work. I am looking for a "stronger, Better" medicine for my doctor to prescribe.

·
Registered
538 Posts
HI MAX. I have had the pinkcocktails at ER'S. The fastest drug I found to stop those ER type of stomach pains was taking a valium. Ask your doctor to prescribe valium 5mg for stomach pains. You ONLY TAKE IT AS NEEDED. You don't take it everyday because it is addictive. I have been taking it for 25yrs. and I am not addicted because I only take it as needed. My doctor gives it to me for stomach spasm pain. If your doctor doesn;t give you valiums, then ask for xanax. That will also relax your stomach. But only take it at night when you are home because they make you sleepy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dont even think my doctor will prescribe that to me, but I need it..really. It hurts so bad during those times, I almost went to the ER. What do I do? Please email me at stacey.muench.hhd3###statefarm.comThank you SSSOOO MUCH.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.