Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the best place in the New Jersey, NYC area is for IBS? I'm looking for a place to get some testing done, including some of the harder to find tests like small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Fred I don't know where you are in Jersey, but there is a Self Help Group that meets in Summit, NJ at Overlook Hospital the first Friday of the month I believe, it is listed on the Self Help Groups Forum down here at the bottom of the page by "Hop To". I can't guide you on the best places for testing. But perhaps others will pop in here to help you out with that. BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Fred I don't know where you are in Jersey, but there is a Self Help Group that meets in Summit, NJ at Overlook Hospital the first Friday of the month I believe, it is listed on the Self Help Groups Forum down here at the bottom of the page by "Hop To". I can't guide you on the best places for testing. But perhaps others will pop in here to help you out with that. BQ

·
Registered
172 Posts
well, i know there are in fact a lot of very good gi doctors in the nj/nyc area...there are obviously a lot of bad ones too, but if u do some searches on this site, you'll find that a great many people with ibs live in either ny, nj, or pa.the nj ibs self help group will not meet again until the first friday of february, unless there's a particular reason to: a lot of us live pretty far from summit and the holiday season has everyone busy....i personally live in bergen county and like you, was really looking for the best help i could find in the area; also i had some of those "ignorant doctor" experiences with previous docs and wanted someone who was particularly good with working with ibs patients.so i started going to the mind-body digestive center in midtown ny a couple months ago. i'm by no means cured or even anywhere close, but i've definitely made good, solid progress. i'm currently on effexor xr, acidophilus, and a little fiber.mind-body actually holds a discussion forum on this website, about ibs related to work, relationships, and the doctor. here's their direct website in case you're interested: http://www.mindbodydigestive.com/ on the downside, they don't accept any insurance other than oxford ?liberty?, which is available only thru the workplace, and so my wallet's been feeling the costs....but they *are* in fact experts at this.....hope this helps, let me know if u need anything else...-meth

·
Registered
172 Posts
well, i know there are in fact a lot of very good gi doctors in the nj/nyc area...there are obviously a lot of bad ones too, but if u do some searches on this site, you'll find that a great many people with ibs live in either ny, nj, or pa.the nj ibs self help group will not meet again until the first friday of february, unless there's a particular reason to: a lot of us live pretty far from summit and the holiday season has everyone busy....i personally live in bergen county and like you, was really looking for the best help i could find in the area; also i had some of those "ignorant doctor" experiences with previous docs and wanted someone who was particularly good with working with ibs patients.so i started going to the mind-body digestive center in midtown ny a couple months ago. i'm by no means cured or even anywhere close, but i've definitely made good, solid progress. i'm currently on effexor xr, acidophilus, and a little fiber.mind-body actually holds a discussion forum on this website, about ibs related to work, relationships, and the doctor. here's their direct website in case you're interested: http://www.mindbodydigestive.com/ on the downside, they don't accept any insurance other than oxford ?liberty?, which is available only thru the workplace, and so my wallet's been feeling the costs....but they *are* in fact experts at this.....hope this helps, let me know if u need anything else...-meth

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Fred, i am in Middlesex county, Dr. K. Patel has two offices,he works out of JFK in Edison,and Dr. Josef Dull,another good one,he is in Avenel,if you need anything else,ask away,
Krissy

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Fred, i am in Middlesex county, Dr. K. Patel has two offices,he works out of JFK in Edison,and Dr. Josef Dull,another good one,he is in Avenel,if you need anything else,ask away,
Krissy

·
Registered
249 Posts
mhofmanYes the small intestine bacterial overgrowth test was very helpful. It took about three hours but was quite easy compared to a colonoscopy, for example. Try calling a teaching hospital/university in your area. Good luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
mhofmanYes the small intestine bacterial overgrowth test was very helpful. It took about three hours but was quite easy compared to a colonoscopy, for example. Try calling a teaching hospital/university in your area. Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the great info. Mindbodydigestive is something I will look into further. I still would like to have a couple more tests performed (colonoscopy and small intestine bacterial overgrowth breath test) and it would be nice if I could get it all done at the same hospital. I would think some place in NYC would have to offer this sort of thing, so I'll check around. thanks again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.