Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will I ever learn not to trust restaurants? I just returned from a lovely evening with friends at The Store Restaurant in Basking Ridge, New Jersey. I made certain to bring my own snack foods with me in a bag and arrived early to speak with the waitress. I told her I was severely allergic to additives and told her I would be ordering a plain salad but I wanted her assurance that the salad was only washed with water and no additives were used on it. She affirmed this. When our dinner was served, I had my plain salad with bread that I brought from home. I enjoyed it immensely feeling that I was safe and having a night out from my own kitchen.By the time the meal had ended and it was almost time to leave one hour later, I noticed I was becoming more and more depressed for no reason. I used the ladies room and felt very ill --- my stomach was rapidly swelling. I was afraid I would not make it home and would pass out. Brushing it off as my imagination, I started to drive home but stopped right away and put on my cell phone on and pulled out my list of emergency numbers in case I became seriously ill. Fortunately, I made it home and noticed my depression increasing again with terrible sad thoughts --- so much unlike me. My stomach would start to reswell every 10 minutes until extremely loud gurgling started on my left side and I passed the offending food. This reaction was identical to that which I have from processed foods with MSG and other additives.I knew this reaction was not in my mind so I called The Store and spoke with the manager, Barbara. I told her that I was very ill and wanted to know how they treat the salad greens. Fortunately, she told me right away that the salad greens are washed in water and then a product called FIT was added to it. (Thank God --- there are honest people around.) When am I going to learn? I can NEVER trust a waitress again and I will NEVER eat at a restaurant unless I have the cook and the owner swear to what is in the food. Now, I will be feeling punk for another 24 hours and it will take around 3 days to get my digestion back to normal. Sorry to be so long but I am FURIOUS!!! Thanks for listening. M.E. P.S. Does anyone know what FIT is? If not, I�ll investigate and report back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. P.S. I wonder how many of you with D. or both C&D are suffering from food additives. I get D. from the food additives and then, C. for a while until my gut gets back to normal --- unless I accidentally eat another food with additives in it which makes me D --- like a yo-yo! (By the way, alot of vitamin supplements and drugs have additives in them that may cause reactions like I get from additives such as MSG and sulfites.) For more information, check out: http://www.msgmyth.com (click on discussion board) http://www.truthinlabeling.org/ http://www.basicfare.com

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P.S. P.S. I wonder how many of you with D. or both C&D are suffering from food additives. I get D. from the food additives and then, C. for a while until my gut gets back to normal --- unless I accidentally eat another food with additives in it which makes me D --- like a yo-yo! (By the way, alot of vitamin supplements and drugs have additives in them that may cause reactions like I get from additives such as MSG and sulfites.) For more information, check out: http://www.msgmyth.com (click on discussion board) http://www.truthinlabeling.org/ http://www.basicfare.com

G

·
Fit Antibacterial Fruit and Vegetable Cleaner is an easy to use, practical procedure to wash fresh fruits and vegetables to help remove dirt, chemicals, and people handling residues, and it cleans far better than washing with water alone. Fit removes significantly more bacteria on processed produce that is often associated with food-borne illness, such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria. Fit also kills viruses in aqueous suspension screening testing, such as Rotavirus. Its ingredients are from natural sources or are found in everyday foods, it does not change the taste, feel, or nutritional value of produce, and it leaves no residue. Why you were affected the way you were and in such a severe manner is confusing. But IBS is a confusing problem. Something that is supposed to leave no residue should not affect us but we are all sensitive to different things. FIT sounds like a better alternative to just cleaning vegetables with water but it may not be for everybody.

G

·
Fit Antibacterial Fruit and Vegetable Cleaner is an easy to use, practical procedure to wash fresh fruits and vegetables to help remove dirt, chemicals, and people handling residues, and it cleans far better than washing with water alone. Fit removes significantly more bacteria on processed produce that is often associated with food-borne illness, such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria. Fit also kills viruses in aqueous suspension screening testing, such as Rotavirus. Its ingredients are from natural sources or are found in everyday foods, it does not change the taste, feel, or nutritional value of produce, and it leaves no residue. Why you were affected the way you were and in such a severe manner is confusing. But IBS is a confusing problem. Something that is supposed to leave no residue should not affect us but we are all sensitive to different things. FIT sounds like a better alternative to just cleaning vegetables with water but it may not be for everybody.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fit is a natural (that's what my bottle says) detergant that is used to wash vegetables and is supposed to remove the pesticide residues, etc better than just water washing does. http://www.tryfit.com/ is the companies web site.If they left some of the detergant on the food that could have bothered you as soaps of any kind can upset the GI tract.Also IBS is an unpredictable thing and food is generally not the one and only trigger for most people, and sometimes things just happen for no apparant reason (other than you are over-reacting to something, even your own normal physiological signals).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fit is a natural (that's what my bottle says) detergant that is used to wash vegetables and is supposed to remove the pesticide residues, etc better than just water washing does. http://www.tryfit.com/ is the companies web site.If they left some of the detergant on the food that could have bothered you as soaps of any kind can upset the GI tract.Also IBS is an unpredictable thing and food is generally not the one and only trigger for most people, and sometimes things just happen for no apparant reason (other than you are over-reacting to something, even your own normal physiological signals).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but I always can count on a bout of D when I eat salads in general, home or away. Restaurant salads are the worst for me, I'm sure they are full of preservatives to keep them fresh looking.Take Care...Sharon

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but I always can count on a bout of D when I eat salads in general, home or away. Restaurant salads are the worst for me, I'm sure they are full of preservatives to keep them fresh looking.Take Care...Sharon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you ever think it might be the SALAD that got you? I had IBS D but have controlled it by NOT eating salads, by eating low carb, by NOT drinking all that water and I gave up taking extra fibre. I can't rememeber the last time I had an attack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you ever think it might be the SALAD that got you? I had IBS D but have controlled it by NOT eating salads, by eating low carb, by NOT drinking all that water and I gave up taking extra fibre. I can't rememeber the last time I had an attack.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was DEFINITELY the salad at the restaurant and the additive FIT.I eat the exact same type of lettuces at home everyday with absolutely no problems. I keep a detailed food diary, have omitted most processed foods from my diet and after almost two years, I can now almost immediately tell what I am having problems with. It has been a long hard haul but worth it all. I am learning more about FIT and will report back here again. In the meantime, do NOT take FIT's claims as gospel. Sure it is comprised of "natural" ingredients BUT natural does not mean that it is safe for everyone!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was DEFINITELY the salad at the restaurant and the additive FIT.I eat the exact same type of lettuces at home everyday with absolutely no problems. I keep a detailed food diary, have omitted most processed foods from my diet and after almost two years, I can now almost immediately tell what I am having problems with. It has been a long hard haul but worth it all. I am learning more about FIT and will report back here again. In the meantime, do NOT take FIT's claims as gospel. Sure it is comprised of "natural" ingredients BUT natural does not mean that it is safe for everyone!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Interesting. I sure wouldn't have thought that FIT would have hurt you, but you know better than I! Actually, for most people, it is good that that restaurant cleans their produce with FIT. But sorry for your problems.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Interesting. I sure wouldn't have thought that FIT would have hurt you, but you know better than I! Actually, for most people, it is good that that restaurant cleans their produce with FIT. But sorry for your problems.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Normally Fit is completely rinsed off. It is like washing the veggies with soap and water.If they just sprayed it on and didn't rinse it off completely then it could cause GI problems just like any other soap would.Some people may me just as violently allegic to natural things like they could to man-made things (just ask anyone in the hospital nearly dying from a peanut or shellfish allergic reaction).What fit has in it.WaterOleic acid and glycerin from vegetable sources.Ethyl alcohol, corn derived.Potassium hydrate.baking sodaCitric acidDistilled grapefruit oil.My guess would be the grapefruit oil could be a source of problems in people who have problems with citrus fruits (along with the citric acid). But I still thing the fact that it is a soap and soap is bad for the GI tract may be the issue.Fit is available at just about every supermarket around here so it wouldn't be hard to do a little test at home.Also, if they get pre-prepared salad ingredients from anywhere they may not have been able to wash the preservitives that the previous people put on them.Fit is supposed to remove all the residues, but if not done properly than there could be sulfites (which cause big problems for lots of people).If Fit bothers you when you test it at home you will probably not be able to eat vegetables at an awful lot of resterants because it seems to be a common thing to use. and it is used on all fruits and vegetables not just salads.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Normally Fit is completely rinsed off. It is like washing the veggies with soap and water.If they just sprayed it on and didn't rinse it off completely then it could cause GI problems just like any other soap would.Some people may me just as violently allegic to natural things like they could to man-made things (just ask anyone in the hospital nearly dying from a peanut or shellfish allergic reaction).What fit has in it.WaterOleic acid and glycerin from vegetable sources.Ethyl alcohol, corn derived.Potassium hydrate.baking sodaCitric acidDistilled grapefruit oil.My guess would be the grapefruit oil could be a source of problems in people who have problems with citrus fruits (along with the citric acid). But I still thing the fact that it is a soap and soap is bad for the GI tract may be the issue.Fit is available at just about every supermarket around here so it wouldn't be hard to do a little test at home.Also, if they get pre-prepared salad ingredients from anywhere they may not have been able to wash the preservitives that the previous people put on them.Fit is supposed to remove all the residues, but if not done properly than there could be sulfites (which cause big problems for lots of people).If Fit bothers you when you test it at home you will probably not be able to eat vegetables at an awful lot of resterants because it seems to be a common thing to use. and it is used on all fruits and vegetables not just salads.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
M.E., The citric acid and grapefruit oil would be the killers for me since I reacted highly to citric acid in my double-blinded provocative sublingual testing. Some salad dressings have it in also. Tomato sauce and vinegar are also triggers for me, although I can eat small amounts of fresh tomato and vinegar without too much problem. Coffee has citric acid in it naturally, and is probably the number one problem for IBSers (it is not just the caffeine component). Ironically some OTC medications also contain it, even those for GI problems (mostly the fruity flavored ones). Many fruit flavored drinks and foods contain it, and it is in many sodas as well. Besides citrus fruits, peaches contain a fair amount of it in naturally. It is added for tartness and as a preservative to many processed foods (some potato packaged items contain it). Although it may be considered "natural" it is in a concentrated form, and not tolerated well by some IBSers. This may be the problem for you if the items I mentioned do not agree with you. My abodmen blows up like a balloon and I get a dull ache on the left side. My stooling problem may not come until the next day, probably because I am a slow transit type.I can tolerate ranch dressing (Hidden Valley Original, so far seems the best) and even a little Kraft Italian now. I used to make my own when I was really bad after my antibiotic induced colitis out of carrot juice and a heart-healthy oil of choice plus seasoning as tolerated.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
M.E., The citric acid and grapefruit oil would be the killers for me since I reacted highly to citric acid in my double-blinded provocative sublingual testing. Some salad dressings have it in also. Tomato sauce and vinegar are also triggers for me, although I can eat small amounts of fresh tomato and vinegar without too much problem. Coffee has citric acid in it naturally, and is probably the number one problem for IBSers (it is not just the caffeine component). Ironically some OTC medications also contain it, even those for GI problems (mostly the fruity flavored ones). Many fruit flavored drinks and foods contain it, and it is in many sodas as well. Besides citrus fruits, peaches contain a fair amount of it in naturally. It is added for tartness and as a preservative to many processed foods (some potato packaged items contain it). Although it may be considered "natural" it is in a concentrated form, and not tolerated well by some IBSers. This may be the problem for you if the items I mentioned do not agree with you. My abodmen blows up like a balloon and I get a dull ache on the left side. My stooling problem may not come until the next day, probably because I am a slow transit type.I can tolerate ranch dressing (Hidden Valley Original, so far seems the best) and even a little Kraft Italian now. I used to make my own when I was really bad after my antibiotic induced colitis out of carrot juice and a heart-healthy oil of choice plus seasoning as tolerated.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I hate to say it, but you never know what restaurants do. Even if they said they washed the salad with FIT, that doesn't mean that's what happened. Perhaps it was the FIT that caused such a severe reaction and then again, perhaps the lettuce came in contact with something else.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts