Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on this board have any experience with Bile Reflux? I've had it for over 2 years now, and really bothers the heck out of me. I consistenty wake-up around 3 to 4am with a very painful stomach. Acid-reducers of all types don't seem to do anything, and I'm at my wits end with this stuff. I haven't a clue what causes it, and all suggests by my Gastro(s) have only made matters worse (i.e. Reglan, etc. Made me EXTREMELY anxious and had a TON of neuro side-effects).Looking for any advice in this area. Thx.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, weight-loss isn't an option. I'm about 175 and have around 8% body fat. In fact, it's even difficult to MAINTAIN weight as it is.Also, I ensure that I don't eat a thing after 8pm. I know all the standard rules and such, but I'm looking for any detailed or insightful advice. This isn't a GERD issue; PPI's and the like don't work for me. For some reason, this is a problem with bile overproduction.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi atl175,Sorry to hear you are having so many problems.Not sure if this will help or not, but as you say it is bile that you seem to be producing too much of (rather than digestive acids) has a doctor ever checked your gallbladder out? You might have gallstones, or at least some gallbladder disfunction. Bile overproduction is I believe one of the things that can lead to gallstones.Which also brings me to the question, how do you know it is bile overproduction? Did a doc or gastro do any tests for you?I can understand if PPI drugs don't help, they only reduce digestive acids, not bile.Also, do you notice if the pain is worse after eating any particular kind of food? I just recently had my gallbladder out and anything even a little bit fatty (like as little as 5 grams of fat!) would trigger an attack before the surgery.If so, that also could be an indicator of a problem in gallbladder function.Anyway, I would say if you are not satisfied with what you current doc's are telling you and you are having so much trouble, go and see another doc.Hope that might be of some help, and hope you will feel better soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sabriel:Thanks for your thoughtful response. The diagnostic criteria for knowing that I have bile reflux was an Endoscopy. I've had my gallbladder checked via US, but there was no indication of stones, etc. I'm thinking about insisting upon further diagnostic tests at this point. I don't seem to have any particular "trigger" foods, at least none that generate an immediate reaction. This problem is quite perplexing and problematic for me and the exact cause remains elusive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been there, done that. Diet is exemplary and known allergic foods are avoided. See initial post regarding Reglan; I had a horrific neuro reaction to it, for some reason. I'm of the opinion that anything that would increase my overall motility would be beneficial in this area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.