Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this post in another thread:
It may be worth getting the pelvic floor tested and do biofeedback if you are tensing up down there when you should be relaxing.
I'm in the UK and am seriously looking into this right now. I've not been tested for pelvic floor dyssynergia, but I'm pretty sure I suffer from it. I'm sceptical whether my doctors will have me tested for it, principally because I don't think they've even heard about it ever before, and they wouldn't know who to refer me to for testing.So I figured I'd skip that part and go straight to the biofeedback.I have found some providers myself, but they all seem to be on the "how to reduce panic attack" side of things, and I'm looking for how to ease constipation if I am in fact "tensing up down there when you should be relaxing" (which I believe I am).I found an article on pubmed, from the British Medical Association which had some very useful clinical info on this - http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articlerender.cgi?artid=889700 . Good quote:The three main biofeedback techniques used to treat pelvic floor dyssynergia [are:]Sensory training was the first biofeedback technique to be used in clinical practice. It entails simulated defecation by means of a water filled balloon introduced in the rectum; this is then slowly withdrawn, while patients are asked to concentrate on the sensations evoked by the balloon and to try to ease its passage. Variations of this technique involve defecation of a balloon or simulated stools to improve defecatory dynamics.Electromyography consists of recording a patient's averaged electromyographic activity from the pelvic floor muscles for training. Measurements may be obtained from intraluminal probes or from surface electrodes taped to the perianal skin. By watching the recording, the patient first learns to relax the pelvic floor muscles during attempts to defecate, and then gradually increases straining efforts to increase intra-abdominal pressure while keeping the pelvic floor muscles relaxed.Manometry-Anal canal pressure can also be measured (by means of balloons, perfused catheters, or solid-state probes) to detect the contraction and relaxation of the pelvic floor muscles. The training procedures are almost identical to those described above for electromyographic training.Now the biofeedback providers that I've found in the uk seem to deal with measuring breathing and heart rate only - and don't seem to offer this kind of thing. So, does anyone know exactly what type of biofeedback is recommended for dealing with constipation. And then does anyone know of any such providers in the uk.Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually this type of biofeedback is only done at gastroenterology clinics, not general biofeedback clinics.When I check the UK version of google there seem to be a few research papers out of the UK on this. The hospitals associated with those universities may be a good place to start.Here are a few other links I found by adding gastroenterology to biofeedback and clinic.http://www.nucleushealthcare.co.uk/anorect...dysfunction.htmhttp://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/services...colorectal.aspxhttp://www.stmarkshospital.org.uk/index.php?page=biofeedbackBut most of those will probably want to do the testing before just doing biofeedback to see if it works.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have had Biofeedback.I had it through in Edinburgh in Scotland and also in Glasgow.I find it very difficult to empty my bowels properly,i had the balloon expulsion done and the testing of how i was using my muscles.Then i was told how to sit on the toilet properly and how to push out BM when i feel the need to.I do find this difficult but i carry on trying to do what i was shown to do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the key is to get yourself in with a really good consultant who is actually interested in IBS. A lot of them just dismiss the condition and won't give you the time of day, let alone consider experimental treatments etc. What I did was to find out the name of the best consultant to be seen by (if you have contacts at the hospital or in the NHS that helps) and then asked my gp to refer me directly to him. He got me in for the tests and it turned out I do have trouble relaxing the right muscles etc, although sadly I found the biofeedback pretty useless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.