Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.A few weeks back I started doing bio feedback in another front against chronic abdominal pain (my earlier post has all the details).I'm assuming that a few people who have tried it.I'm a little confused. I thought biofeedback could be used to do things like control specific parts of your body with great detail? ie to raise the temperature in your hand. I'd also read that it could be used in pain management, even if the pain wasn't psychologically induced (ie stress). Specifically someone had used it to mask the pain caused by IBD.Anyway, all this guy has me doing is watching computer games that stimulate relaxing brain waves. He also told me biofeedback can't manage pain that isn't psychological. Does he sound like he doesn't have a clue?RegardsDouglas.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Douglas, If your practitioner does not feel that his vehicle can handle a physical problem then I guess you have to decide if you think your problem is physical or psycological.Personally, If you think your problem is more physical then I would suppose your practitioner just told you the limits of what his modality can accomplish for you.If you think your problem is more psychological then I guess you and the practitioner might be on the same page.Kamie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kamie,I wish I knew! The bacterial overgrowth would seem to suggest physical, but my symptoms apparently aren't a-typical, and I've seen two people now saw that the breath tests done at Cedars Sinai have a high rate of false positives.Additionally, tranquilisers and antidepressants didn't seem to help (although I only took them for 2 weeks or so).Arrghh.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Douglas, As far as antidepressants go you either are (a)not giving them a chance to work. or (b)not getting the ones that do the right thing.OR © a bit of both.If you are given an SSRI then you have to take it everyday correctly and give it time and also figure out your dose.Once you have accomplished all that then you'll know if it works or doesn't work.Ballpark;somewhere around 4 - 6 weeks of really working with a medication.When I was put on my combo I was hesitant. I didn't want the meds mainly because I'm a scuba diver and getting on those meds worried me because I thought that maybe I wouldn't be able to dive.But ya know what? With the kind of pain I have I can't dive anyway! So what the heck. Why suffer?With that over growth thing...yeh, I'd kind of worry too.But you have this mess on your tongue so I'd say just guessing that there's definately something physical going on.Maybe they are not able to oin point the problem but heck, with ick on the tongue it's kind of hard to dismiss the symptoms.My husband just recently had a big ol mystery that had us in the hospital last weekend.He bled and bled and bled for abut 10 days.Like scary bad bleeding every time he pooped andthe blood would just gush.They are still baffled.Right now the Gastro doc is picking at straw trying to figure it out.We have a band aid at the moment in the form of steroid suppositories.So just because they can't get the diagnostic specific right it doesn't mean that you should ignore the real physical things going on and second guess the body telling you that there really is a systems malfunction going on.The brain meds really do help and if anything they help us hang on through one more stinkey test.As for tranquilizers,well, most of them are short acting. They may or may not help you just depending on what you got and again the dose.Personally, xanax works well for me because it's also a really good antispasmodic and it helps my hyoscyamine work much better and it helps take the pressure off my chest.Now some people would say that's a brain thing.Who knows. I get spastic enough to choke so then my heart and shoulder hurt and before they found my poor little colon all wraped up and stuck to that ovary I was told that I was just neurotic.But then again I suppose if one feels the gut dying by matter of intuition and just plain feeling bad then of course that might MAKE one neurotic.Like eating disorders.Well, I didn't have an eating disorder before IBS-C became an issue in my life. But I sure as heck developed an eating disorder after the second surgery where they had to put the big plastic tube down my throat because someone gave me barium to drink before the surgeon got there and when the surgeon took a look he decided that surgery needed to happen as soon as the hospital had a clear OR.So, there comes the eating phobia after that little adventure, not to mention the role food played in getting me to the ER to begin with! So who KNOWS where the dividing line happens.But the thing is, meds somtimes do make it better or if not all better at least somewhat more tolerable so we don't go digging at our skin and get a rash because we are gritting our teeth and trying to handle agony.And then we have to go see the dermatologist because with all that agoney we develop stressed skin and with all that itching we develop a skin problem so they give us steroids for the skin and finally, yes finally, between the antispazmodic and the tranquilizer and the skin steroid oh, and did I mention the High blood pressure meds?Ridiculous isn't it.Well then, after all that there comes finally a good nights sleep. glorious glorious sleep and then when the morning comes our humor returns and we can smile and maybe even laugh again.So the moral to the story is this: find the meds that give a smidgen of relief and keep poking around the medicine world and pretty soon you might find some good combos because rarely, so very rarely is it one thing that totally works.I don't even get just ONE HBP med.It takes two different meds to control my HBP which I've had since my early 30's.Genetics.My genetics are lousy.For me it's largely the luck of the draw.Hereditary malady.There's a lot of medicine available these days.The trick is finding the right diagnostic person who really "sees" your body and will know what you need.Like your expereince with that test.Who the heck's gonna get it right?We keep looking till they get it right. That's all we can do_Oh you might want to try a little Tea Tree tooth paste on the tounge ick. Use a spearate very soft brush just for your tongue and brush a coule of times a day.May work, may not. But worth a try.Hang in there.Kamie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.