Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have used birth control pills for a year, and was diagnosed with IBS-C a little less than that. But I did have some minor, occassional problems before that. Those problems were not life-altering though and I never needed a doctor's attention.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have used birth control pills for a year, and was diagnosed with IBS-C a little less than that. But I did have some minor, occassional problems before that. Those problems were not life-altering though and I never needed a doctor's attention.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Hey, Bloated-a'gn, I was on the pill in the '70's for a few years, and I do believe it changed my hormonal level affecting my motility since I had not been constipated prior. It's funny how the doctors don't tell you the side-effects of medications, give no indication that there is a danger in taking the prescription, and neglect to follow-up on the safe time periods of prescribing them. Unfortunately, it is too late by the time we finally find out and the damage has been done. Here are the side-effects of the category frequently prescribed for birth control:headaches, migraine, dizziness, depression, lethargy thromboembolism, hypertension, edema, pulmonary embolism, CVAworsening of myopia or astigmatism, intolerance of contact lenses, exophthalmos, diplopianausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, bloating, anorexia, changes in appetitie, weight gain, pancreatitisbreakthrough bleeding, spotting, granulomatous colitis, dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, cervical erosion or abnormal secretions, enlargement of uterine fibromas, vaginal candidiasisgallbladder disease, cholestatic jaundice, liver tumorsrash, acne, erythema multiformebreast tenderness, enlargement, secretion, hypercalcemiaIf I would have been smart enough back then to look up the side-effects of the pill myself, and the doctor would have taken the role he should have of educating me, I would not have chosen the pill.They tell you if you begin to have the problems, just stop taking it. It is not always that simple, especially if you have been on them for awhile and they have had a chance to alter your metabolism. Hormonal factors do affect body function. I have found out the hard way that it is not always wise to fool with mother nature, especially when there are other choices less detrimental to your health.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Hey, Bloated-a'gn, I was on the pill in the '70's for a few years, and I do believe it changed my hormonal level affecting my motility since I had not been constipated prior. It's funny how the doctors don't tell you the side-effects of medications, give no indication that there is a danger in taking the prescription, and neglect to follow-up on the safe time periods of prescribing them. Unfortunately, it is too late by the time we finally find out and the damage has been done. Here are the side-effects of the category frequently prescribed for birth control:headaches, migraine, dizziness, depression, lethargy thromboembolism, hypertension, edema, pulmonary embolism, CVAworsening of myopia or astigmatism, intolerance of contact lenses, exophthalmos, diplopianausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, bloating, anorexia, changes in appetitie, weight gain, pancreatitisbreakthrough bleeding, spotting, granulomatous colitis, dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, cervical erosion or abnormal secretions, enlargement of uterine fibromas, vaginal candidiasisgallbladder disease, cholestatic jaundice, liver tumorsrash, acne, erythema multiformebreast tenderness, enlargement, secretion, hypercalcemiaIf I would have been smart enough back then to look up the side-effects of the pill myself, and the doctor would have taken the role he should have of educating me, I would not have chosen the pill.They tell you if you begin to have the problems, just stop taking it. It is not always that simple, especially if you have been on them for awhile and they have had a chance to alter your metabolism. Hormonal factors do affect body function. I have found out the hard way that it is not always wise to fool with mother nature, especially when there are other choices less detrimental to your health.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been on birth control for 4 years now. I started to help my long, painful periods (at which time my IBS-d would be at its worst)The pill has helped me an incredible amount. I no longer have the pain or lengthly periods and I don't have the big flare-ups of my IBS aroudn that time either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been on birth control for 4 years now. I started to help my long, painful periods (at which time my IBS-d would be at its worst)The pill has helped me an incredible amount. I no longer have the pain or lengthly periods and I don't have the big flare-ups of my IBS aroudn that time either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just recently(2nd week now)stopped my b-control pills. I have been taking them for 6 years now. I have noticed that when Aunt Flow is here I have normal bowel movements so I stopped the pills just to see. I figure the bad cramps 5 days a month is better than dealing with chronic constipation every day. So far I have not taken magnesium ay all or had to have oatmeal for breakfast just to go. Matter of fact I have not thought about my bowels at all. That is a major breakthrough for me!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just recently(2nd week now)stopped my b-control pills. I have been taking them for 6 years now. I have noticed that when Aunt Flow is here I have normal bowel movements so I stopped the pills just to see. I figure the bad cramps 5 days a month is better than dealing with chronic constipation every day. So far I have not taken magnesium ay all or had to have oatmeal for breakfast just to go. Matter of fact I have not thought about my bowels at all. That is a major breakthrough for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.