Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I was admitted to hospital for emergency surgery when I developed a perianal abcess and serious infection. I have suffered with chronic diarrhoea for about 18 months now and the consultant in hospital believes this is linked with the abscess.I am concerned today though as for the last three days I am passing black tar-like stools every time I go to the toilet. This has never happened before and I am now worried that I am bleeding internally. Could the black stools be linked with the abscess or is it something else? Should I see a doctor?Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Definately report this to your doc, it could be related to your condition, or it could be something unrelated. Your doc will explain what is going on and what you need to do. Take care and Godspeed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Definately report this to your doc, it could be related to your condition, or it could be something unrelated. Your doc will explain what is going on and what you need to do. Take care and Godspeed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If by any chance you have been taking any antidiarrheal medicine containing bismuth subsalicylate (in the U.S., Pepto Bismol and Kaopectate), that is the likely cause. But given your recent surgical history I would report the black stool right away, regardless. It sounds like you really need a proper diagnosis of your diarrhea; the abscess may indeed be related to some sort of chronic inflammatory bowel disease. I hope you're able to get some help promptly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If by any chance you have been taking any antidiarrheal medicine containing bismuth subsalicylate (in the U.S., Pepto Bismol and Kaopectate), that is the likely cause. But given your recent surgical history I would report the black stool right away, regardless. It sounds like you really need a proper diagnosis of your diarrhea; the abscess may indeed be related to some sort of chronic inflammatory bowel disease. I hope you're able to get some help promptly.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
See the doctor right away on this don't mess around.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
See the doctor right away on this don't mess around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.