Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end.......I'm tired of experimenting with different kinds of medications......My new plan of treatment is to eat a very bland diet to hopefully lower the amount of gas thus eliminate the gurgling noises my stomach makes.......I'm wondering if anyone can give me some foods that are in a bland diet and low in lactose because I am lactose intolerant.....Thank you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
me too!there is plenty of advice in what not to eat, not much on what you can eat
The only thing that doesnt really give me trouble is rice, if that troubles you try steaming it or rapid boiling it, cause the starch content is heaps lower than using the absorption method.The other stuff i can eat is all types of meat, except for mince beef but wanting to be vegetarian leaves me with an unsolvable dilemma

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
me too!there is plenty of advice in what not to eat, not much on what you can eat
The only thing that doesnt really give me trouble is rice, if that troubles you try steaming it or rapid boiling it, cause the starch content is heaps lower than using the absorption method.The other stuff i can eat is all types of meat, except for mince beef but wanting to be vegetarian leaves me with an unsolvable dilemma

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Blandness usually isn't a good indicater of safe for IBS vs not safe.Some foods may cause certain symptoms, so if you mentioned your symptoms then that may help.The main ingredient in most bland diets is processed starch with more processed starch. All starches (usually not rice as in most(not all) people rice starch is well digested and not much gets into the colon)feed the colonic bacteria and may cause more problems for some people.Bland diets may be lacking in fiber which is what some people need to get their IBS under control.You may want to look under the books thing up in the menu bar it has several books that may help you.Taking probiotics may help with some symptoms and may help you tolerate lactose better.The standard bland diet for people coming off of a GI infection is the BRAT diet and it may work as a basis for you. Do not stay on it long term, but if it helps with your symptoms then you can start adding other foods to see what is safe for you and what isn't safe for you.BananasRiceApplesauceToast.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Blandness usually isn't a good indicater of safe for IBS vs not safe.Some foods may cause certain symptoms, so if you mentioned your symptoms then that may help.The main ingredient in most bland diets is processed starch with more processed starch. All starches (usually not rice as in most(not all) people rice starch is well digested and not much gets into the colon)feed the colonic bacteria and may cause more problems for some people.Bland diets may be lacking in fiber which is what some people need to get their IBS under control.You may want to look under the books thing up in the menu bar it has several books that may help you.Taking probiotics may help with some symptoms and may help you tolerate lactose better.The standard bland diet for people coming off of a GI infection is the BRAT diet and it may work as a basis for you. Do not stay on it long term, but if it helps with your symptoms then you can start adding other foods to see what is safe for you and what isn't safe for you.BananasRiceApplesauceToast.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am on a very bland diet right now after a recent flare up of ibs-d. I seem to be okay if I eat chicken, toast, rice, maltomeal, ricemilk, yogurt,potatoes with salt and pepper(no butter), and fish. I have had pancakes and waffles and seemed fine then too. I basically have no idea what would happen if I ate something more adventurous, I haven't gotten the nerve to try. I only have flare ups every once in a while. Otherwise I can eat normal as long as I avoid most dairy products. I am very curious to see what other people post that they can eat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am on a very bland diet right now after a recent flare up of ibs-d. I seem to be okay if I eat chicken, toast, rice, maltomeal, ricemilk, yogurt,potatoes with salt and pepper(no butter), and fish. I have had pancakes and waffles and seemed fine then too. I basically have no idea what would happen if I ate something more adventurous, I haven't gotten the nerve to try. I only have flare ups every once in a while. Otherwise I can eat normal as long as I avoid most dairy products. I am very curious to see what other people post that they can eat.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I think if your eating for IBS its important to eat a rounded healthy diet. Some foods exassperate symptoms, but foods aren't really the problem in most peoples IBS, but rather the IBS is the problem in eating.Being tested for lactose intolerence is a good thing, and checked for Celiac Sprue, or a food allergy although rarer and then there are some food intolerences and that is where it gets some what confusing in IBS.Best way to figure some of this out on your own is to start a food an stress diary. You may find out a food will bug you one time and not at another. One way I went back to eating more normally because I was in pain at the time no matter what I ate, so I just starting eating most anything I wanted and there really wasn't much of a big difference in doing so. It is easy to work yourself into a food phobia with IBS. But its important to learn about some mechanisms of IBS in regards to food. Ten minutes after eating you may be in pain or have symptoms, even before the food is down the throat.I have a food page you might want to look at for the links on this.There are some specific diets on there including the brat diet. http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoodpage.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I think if your eating for IBS its important to eat a rounded healthy diet. Some foods exassperate symptoms, but foods aren't really the problem in most peoples IBS, but rather the IBS is the problem in eating.Being tested for lactose intolerence is a good thing, and checked for Celiac Sprue, or a food allergy although rarer and then there are some food intolerences and that is where it gets some what confusing in IBS.Best way to figure some of this out on your own is to start a food an stress diary. You may find out a food will bug you one time and not at another. One way I went back to eating more normally because I was in pain at the time no matter what I ate, so I just starting eating most anything I wanted and there really wasn't much of a big difference in doing so. It is easy to work yourself into a food phobia with IBS. But its important to learn about some mechanisms of IBS in regards to food. Ten minutes after eating you may be in pain or have symptoms, even before the food is down the throat.I have a food page you might want to look at for the links on this.There are some specific diets on there including the brat diet. http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoodpage.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Avoiding lactose is fairly easy. I would start with that, it might clear up some of your symptoms. Mine improved 80% when I learned I'm lactose intolerant.Don't eat any dairy - if you have trouble coming off it, hard cheeses contain only traces of lactose and butter doesn't have much either. Some people say yogurt is ok because the acidopholus in it eats the lactose, but I've never tried it. If you must eat one of the above mentioned dairy foods, take lactaid in case. I have to have twice the dose on the bottle - 4 to 6 with a serving of butter.Take lactaid when you eat in a restaurant even if you don't see any dairy products in your food. I learned that the hard way.Edit: I forgot to mention many processed foods have dairy products like milk powder and whey added. If you buy such things, check the ingredient labels.Some other things that help me are bread, bagels, crackers. Everyone's triggers are different, you have to find out what yours are. Good luck.
[This message has been edited by Julia37 (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Avoiding lactose is fairly easy. I would start with that, it might clear up some of your symptoms. Mine improved 80% when I learned I'm lactose intolerant.Don't eat any dairy - if you have trouble coming off it, hard cheeses contain only traces of lactose and butter doesn't have much either. Some people say yogurt is ok because the acidopholus in it eats the lactose, but I've never tried it. If you must eat one of the above mentioned dairy foods, take lactaid in case. I have to have twice the dose on the bottle - 4 to 6 with a serving of butter.Take lactaid when you eat in a restaurant even if you don't see any dairy products in your food. I learned that the hard way.Edit: I forgot to mention many processed foods have dairy products like milk powder and whey added. If you buy such things, check the ingredient labels.Some other things that help me are bread, bagels, crackers. Everyone's triggers are different, you have to find out what yours are. Good luck.
[This message has been edited by Julia37 (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a lot of success with 6 small meals a day. A "normal" size meal is almost always a trigger for me.I also did much better when I started spending a little more for groceries. Slightly more expensive lean steaks, for example, don't bother me while cheaper cuts and ground beef do. Lentils also work well for me.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a lot of success with 6 small meals a day. A "normal" size meal is almost always a trigger for me.I also did much better when I started spending a little more for groceries. Slightly more expensive lean steaks, for example, don't bother me while cheaper cuts and ground beef do. Lentils also work well for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
As several others have mentioned, "bland" is relative and individual.When things are especially bad (I have IBS/D, rarely some C), I eat as little as possible. Amount seems to make a huge difference.When I do eat, it is small meals spaced about two hours apart of:* chicken or turkey baked or steamed with no oil or fatty dressing and light seasoning* steamed, overcooked summer or winter squash (no al dente when I'm sick!) * Japanese rice crackers (read the label, though, some of these are very high in fat and contain wheat as well)* Steamed potatos (Yukons and new or red potatos are a little more interesting) with vinegar and vegetable salt* Chicken rice soup* Enough bananas to turn me into a monkey!* When I'm feeling rich, steamed shrimp for a snack* Earl grey tea when I want black/ caffeinated tea* Licorice tea when I want herbal tea* Hydra Fuel, orange flavor, which I have to buy in powder form in health food stores, for the dehydration. (Hydra Fuel is not oversweet like Ultra Fuel and not as icky tasting as most "sport" drinks.) I cannot tolerate wheat or dairy at all, nor any fruit except bananas. I rarely even attempt any raw foods, and NEVER when I'm having a bad week. Carbonated drinks: NO. Coffee: Never. Liquor: Haven't touched a drop in 15 years.

·
Registered
269 Posts
As several others have mentioned, "bland" is relative and individual.When things are especially bad (I have IBS/D, rarely some C), I eat as little as possible. Amount seems to make a huge difference.When I do eat, it is small meals spaced about two hours apart of:* chicken or turkey baked or steamed with no oil or fatty dressing and light seasoning* steamed, overcooked summer or winter squash (no al dente when I'm sick!) * Japanese rice crackers (read the label, though, some of these are very high in fat and contain wheat as well)* Steamed potatos (Yukons and new or red potatos are a little more interesting) with vinegar and vegetable salt* Chicken rice soup* Enough bananas to turn me into a monkey!* When I'm feeling rich, steamed shrimp for a snack* Earl grey tea when I want black/ caffeinated tea* Licorice tea when I want herbal tea* Hydra Fuel, orange flavor, which I have to buy in powder form in health food stores, for the dehydration. (Hydra Fuel is not oversweet like Ultra Fuel and not as icky tasting as most "sport" drinks.) I cannot tolerate wheat or dairy at all, nor any fruit except bananas. I rarely even attempt any raw foods, and NEVER when I'm having a bad week. Carbonated drinks: NO. Coffee: Never. Liquor: Haven't touched a drop in 15 years.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agree with Eric. I have tried all different sorts of diets--none of this, limiting that--and I still had flare-ups. Now I just eat what I want, even if it is spicy Mexican food or no-no Chinese food. I would rather enjoy myself and suffer flare-ups because I'm going to have them anyway. Of course, now that I have a 2nd job I have hardly any time to eat at all! But I can understand how you feel. Try adding fiber, in small amounts at first, maybe a tablespoon of Metamucil in some water or juice or a bran muffin in the morning. Then add more as your body adjusts to it. I found it very helpful, especially being a d-type. Good luck!------------------Jocelynjocelyn_t99###yahoo.comThe most absurd and reckless aspirations have sometimes led to extraordinary success. --Vauvenargues

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agree with Eric. I have tried all different sorts of diets--none of this, limiting that--and I still had flare-ups. Now I just eat what I want, even if it is spicy Mexican food or no-no Chinese food. I would rather enjoy myself and suffer flare-ups because I'm going to have them anyway. Of course, now that I have a 2nd job I have hardly any time to eat at all! But I can understand how you feel. Try adding fiber, in small amounts at first, maybe a tablespoon of Metamucil in some water or juice or a bran muffin in the morning. Then add more as your body adjusts to it. I found it very helpful, especially being a d-type. Good luck!------------------Jocelynjocelyn_t99###yahoo.comThe most absurd and reckless aspirations have sometimes led to extraordinary success. --Vauvenargues

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive bee living on the following for a year:* Rice* Chicken or Turkey Boiled* Bread* Potatoes* Carrotts* Golden Syrup (really good on toast)* Peppermint tea* Water (no other drinks, alcohol, coffee and especially Orange SquashIt is bland and I still have flare ups but if I eat anything more exciting I get ill so it just isnt worth itI tried the applesauce and bannana thing too but the applesauce didnt agree nor did the bananaOh and if u can, try Rice Krispies breakfast cereal but add water instead of milk. I know it sounds horrible but it really isnt that bad, if u add sugar or syrup.Keep smiling and try the rice and chicken .xxx

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive bee living on the following for a year:* Rice* Chicken or Turkey Boiled* Bread* Potatoes* Carrotts* Golden Syrup (really good on toast)* Peppermint tea* Water (no other drinks, alcohol, coffee and especially Orange SquashIt is bland and I still have flare ups but if I eat anything more exciting I get ill so it just isnt worth itI tried the applesauce and bannana thing too but the applesauce didnt agree nor did the bananaOh and if u can, try Rice Krispies breakfast cereal but add water instead of milk. I know it sounds horrible but it really isnt that bad, if u add sugar or syrup.Keep smiling and try the rice and chicken .xxx

·
Registered
428 Posts
I, like unknown soldier, eat what I want. When my IBS is gonna flare up it's gonna flare up anyway. Food really doesn't much matter for me. My GI did tell me that during intense flare ups that binding foods, potatoes, rice, breads are good. I used to follow that....now I just eat whatever I want. Dairy should matter unless you are lactose intolerant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.