Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to try and help everyone with bloating we should try and get a consensus on a couple of things, trigger food, self help etc..It is by far the worst symptom for me. My stomach goes from flat to the size of a heavily pregnant woman. It is completely round and hard to the point where i cant even move for the pains. If I get bloated at work I have to change my trousers to a different pair though on occasion the discomfort has forced me to go home to lie on my stomach. I find massaging my stomach helps. I sit with my legs against the wall, lie on the bed on my front with a cushion under my stomach then try to massage my tum till the bloating eases slightly. Another tip is to lean across a table until you pass what ever is bloating you up. This is good because you can apply as much pressure as you can bear and you can do this where ever you are.(even at work) What tips do the rest of you have. I have the usual trigger foods, caffinated drinks, bread, fruit but sometimes I wake up with my tummy the size of a football and I have been asleep all night. I wake up with a swollen tummy and gas pains at least twice a week. Feedback please...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What a good idea Aimee. It is my worst and most painful symptom. My stomach gets so bloated that I look like I've swallowed a football! I have awful distension and my triggers change daily! Cofee, fruit anre the usual culprits. I use a hot water bottle to ease the cramps when my tummy is swollen. My work are very understanding, they often find me in the washroom with a pad on my tummy doubled over or worse hear me writhing around on the toilet trying to pass something to get some relief for a while. They just ask me if I am ok and leave me to it.I have often gone out for the night with a normal tummy which is sore and bloated half an hour later. When friends ask me if I am pregnant or why I constantly rub my tummy I explain about my problem. They are usually understanding about my upset tummy that has been upset for about six years

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a good idea Aimee. It is my worst and most painful symptom. My stomach gets so bloated that I look like I've swallowed a football! I have awful distension and my triggers change daily! Cofee, fruit anre the usual culprits. I use a hot water bottle to ease the cramps when my tummy is swollen. My work are very understanding, they often find me in the washroom with a pad on my tummy doubled over or worse hear me writhing around on the toilet trying to pass something to get some relief for a while. They just ask me if I am ok and leave me to it.I have often gone out for the night with a normal tummy which is sore and bloated half an hour later. When friends ask me if I am pregnant or why I constantly rub my tummy I explain about my problem. They are usually understanding about my upset tummy that has been upset for about six years

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get very bloated and distended but I have no real food triggers. In my case, I feel it is primarily tied to my hormonal cycle which affects whether I am constipated or not and therefore causes my blaoting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can get very bloated and distended but I have no real food triggers. In my case, I feel it is primarily tied to my hormonal cycle which affects whether I am constipated or not and therefore causes my blaoting.

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:Another tip is to lean across a table until you pass what ever is bloating you up. This is good because you can apply as much pressure as you can bear and you can do this where ever you are.(even at work) What tips do the rest of you have. I have the usual trigger foods,
I believe most distention probably doesn't have too much to do with what is in the colon. It may be tough to find trigger foods, since eating food itself is probably what causes bloating through the gastrocolic reflex in most cases. It may be that some foods are worse than others, but I really think it has more to do with spasms from a screwed up gastrocolic reflex. For example, I can not eat anything for a day, so that there is no substances in my intestines, then eat a large meal and get distended in the lower abdomen (colon area) so that obviously it can't be caused by something that is built up in that area. I'm sure substances in the colon make it worse by simply aggravating spasms in a hypersensitive colon. I made the same mistake of thinking a distended belly had to be, or usually is, the result of an actual build up of something like gas in the colon, but that just isn't the case. It has more to do with spasms and muscles pushing out in some way...to lessen the pain on an overly sensitive colon possibly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:Another tip is to lean across a table until you pass what ever is bloating you up. This is good because you can apply as much pressure as you can bear and you can do this where ever you are.(even at work) What tips do the rest of you have. I have the usual trigger foods,
I believe most distention probably doesn't have too much to do with what is in the colon. It may be tough to find trigger foods, since eating food itself is probably what causes bloating through the gastrocolic reflex in most cases. It may be that some foods are worse than others, but I really think it has more to do with spasms from a screwed up gastrocolic reflex. For example, I can not eat anything for a day, so that there is no substances in my intestines, then eat a large meal and get distended in the lower abdomen (colon area) so that obviously it can't be caused by something that is built up in that area. I'm sure substances in the colon make it worse by simply aggravating spasms in a hypersensitive colon. I made the same mistake of thinking a distended belly had to be, or usually is, the result of an actual build up of something like gas in the colon, but that just isn't the case. It has more to do with spasms and muscles pushing out in some way...to lessen the pain on an overly sensitive colon possibly.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would think that eating nothing (or close to nothing) would make bloating worse over a prolonged period. Just look how bloated all the starving children in Africa on TV look. I do realize these are totally different conditions, but fasting is not a workable solution for gas and bloating.I don't think science will ever find out what causes bloating in all cases. There are so many speculations, ideas and facts. For me, it just seems to "happen." I've found in my case that I just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would think that eating nothing (or close to nothing) would make bloating worse over a prolonged period. Just look how bloated all the starving children in Africa on TV look. I do realize these are totally different conditions, but fasting is not a workable solution for gas and bloating.I don't think science will ever find out what causes bloating in all cases. There are so many speculations, ideas and facts. For me, it just seems to "happen." I've found in my case that I just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Sometimes I wonder, is it the sugar or is it the acid? Fruits tend to have both sugar and acid. Milk has lactic acid, doesn't it? These two foods seem to do it to me the most as well as the number one offender in my case, tomato sauce! Most probably the acid! Coffee? again, acid! I tested highly sensitive to the additives citric and benzoic acids. Both caused my abd. to blow up like a balloon and ache. Then, again, could be bacterial/fungal over-growth. I tend to get more gassy with sugars and when I go too long without taking my antifungal. The difference (it seems in my case), is that the acids I tested sensitive to cause an immediate "blow-up" response, where-as the sugar/over-growth/fermented thing tend to cause a gradual gas-build-up.It is interesting also to note that I did not have what I will call the "acid blow-up" response until after my fungal over-growth problem from taking antibiotics. This leads me to believe it is some type of immune response, or an irritation of the bowel that hasn't healed.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Sometimes I wonder, is it the sugar or is it the acid? Fruits tend to have both sugar and acid. Milk has lactic acid, doesn't it? These two foods seem to do it to me the most as well as the number one offender in my case, tomato sauce! Most probably the acid! Coffee? again, acid! I tested highly sensitive to the additives citric and benzoic acids. Both caused my abd. to blow up like a balloon and ache. Then, again, could be bacterial/fungal over-growth. I tend to get more gassy with sugars and when I go too long without taking my antifungal. The difference (it seems in my case), is that the acids I tested sensitive to cause an immediate "blow-up" response, where-as the sugar/over-growth/fermented thing tend to cause a gradual gas-build-up.It is interesting also to note that I did not have what I will call the "acid blow-up" response until after my fungal over-growth problem from taking antibiotics. This leads me to believe it is some type of immune response, or an irritation of the bowel that hasn't healed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Even for bloating I think the triggers are rather individualistic. It took me a long time to realize that one of my worst ones was plain white rice.Aimee, rather than changing your trousers, try some new ones in the new stretch fabrics. They are getting better and dressier all the time. Soooooo comfortable!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Even for bloating I think the triggers are rather individualistic. It took me a long time to realize that one of my worst ones was plain white rice.Aimee, rather than changing your trousers, try some new ones in the new stretch fabrics. They are getting better and dressier all the time. Soooooo comfortable!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I find that too many raw fruits and veggies will do it to me. Popcorn is another culprit and if I eat too much in one setting it can get me as well. There is the odd time when I bloat and I am not sure why; I think sometimes when I sit too long it restricts the gut and it can make me swell.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I find that too many raw fruits and veggies will do it to me. Popcorn is another culprit and if I eat too much in one setting it can get me as well. There is the odd time when I bloat and I am not sure why; I think sometimes when I sit too long it restricts the gut and it can make me swell.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Nicol, interesting because I get the swelling when I stand in one place too long. I think that has something to do with the colon not working (peristalsis) in that particular position. If I lay down in the fetal position or do the knee chest position then I am able to pass some gas and it improves. If it is from the food triggers, it is probably due to spasming. This does not improve as readily with the posistioning or exercize. It takes time for it to pass. [This message has been edited by moldie (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Nicol, interesting because I get the swelling when I stand in one place too long. I think that has something to do with the colon not working (peristalsis) in that particular position. If I lay down in the fetal position or do the knee chest position then I am able to pass some gas and it improves. If it is from the food triggers, it is probably due to spasming. This does not improve as readily with the posistioning or exercize. It takes time for it to pass. [This message has been edited by moldie (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
moldie--certainly it COULD be a bacterial overgrowth where fruits/sugars are concerned, but let's keep in mind that fruits and sugars probably cause some gas and expansion in healthy normals. If the science we have so far is correct, we're probably just hypersensitive to those normal effects.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.