Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know this is a very old topic, but I have been watching this thread for a long time, and decided to pitch in a little information that may help someone. My son, Collin has been dealing with GI issues for the past 2-3 years without even a diagnosis. He was "diagnosed" with crohn's, then "undiagnosed", then a "possible rediagnosis, he was diagnosed then undiagnosed with SIBO, then IBS, then.... on & on, you all know how that goes, he has been on too many diets, meds, treatments to list. We have gone across the country in search of GI docs, etc etc, you all know the drill. Well, we found a naturalpath Dr. who wouldn't give up on him like all the other Docs did. She dug and dug to find out what was wrong. His symptoms were very simular to a lot of you on this page. She tested him for a rare genetic blood disease call Porphyria. It is found in 1-5 per 100,000 people.And lo and behold, he tested positive! It isn't even a GI problem, but some of the symptoms present themselves like GI symptoms. Look it up. I know it is a long shot, but I know how devestating it is to be out there feeling so alone and wondering if this is as good as life is going to get. Don't give up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Digging it up. This is an old page but i feel like i have to contribute to it!

I live in Northern San Diego County

I've had stomach issues my whole life and up until 4 years ago, i deserved it.

i was never overweight but i ate like crap. i exercised regularly though, and more often than most.

After hitting the gym hard for 4 months with a buddy, i began to have stomach issues.

One week, acid reflux hit me so hard and so bad i didn't eat the entire week.

Let me say it again, nothing but trying to nibble on a small pretzel stick.

i had no idea what was going on with me.

With as much as i know now, i would have definitely just taken a PPI to calm things down

i had no idea then...

When i went into the doctor after 6 days of no eating and barely any water to drink. Maybe 4-8 ounces a day max

i got prescribed Remeron (Miratazapine). I instantly felt better & I really did. who knows if it was the placebo effect

but it gave me my appetite back.

Remeron is prescribed for several things such as insomnia, depression, stress, anxiety, and much more. One of the much more is...... IBS

Yes... it does affect your appetite and digestion.

Thats what i am finding on here is people have taken some sort of antidepressant and now its left them with long term or permanent damage

Its been a roller coaster since being off of it. its been 2 years of constant acid reflux and constipation.

Now its acid reflux and loose stools in the morning.

My stomach is so upset after passing a bowel movement in the morning that i cannot eat till around 1pm and then its not much and my stomach is still upset

this really sucks. I am going to see another GI doctor this friday. i have seen them in past

In the past, all the tests come out clean.....

we'll see this time. i already did Barium, Upper Endoscopy, Endoscopy, X rays & blood tests.

Will update if i find anything.

What worked before the Loose stools was pretty easy and almost a full fix but you had to be dedicated.

I would have a handful of Almonds, Raisins & other nuts & make sure i drank enough water.

this would make me slightly bloated because of all the fat but i was guaranteed not to be constipated the next day.

Its such a catch 22 with Acid Reflux though. i can take a PPI & when the acid is down, i can chug water but otherwise

its just a pain to get water down because it bugs me.

idk...

if anyone has any input let me know. i really blame all this on Remeron. We'll never know 100% because there is so many variables in life but i know deep down, it screwed my life up and i don't want to go back to it but i just might have to try.... but i haven't gotten to that point yet.

this affects my everyday mood and energy. i can't take it much longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I can hardly believe I am reading about my condition where others are experiencing the same awful symptoms of IBS as I am. I thought I was the only one, mainly because nobody else I know can relate. Although my husband and family are sympathetic, it is hard for them to understand the torture I endure practically every day. I have had all the tests and like many others, they came back normal. My quality of life has deterioated. I have become anti-social because I never know if I will feel well enough for a night out. I feel very separated from my former life. I have tried every OTC medication possible. I take Buscopan (anti-spasmatic) when the pain is bad and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I get excited if I have a good day, but I am also fearful that it won't last. My doctor gave me a script for a low dose of morphine after a particularily bad flare-up and wow, relief! But it isn't something that I qualify to receive on a regular basis. I don't understand why there isn't anything a doctor can do to provide us relief. I'm tired of crying almost every day because of the pain and because I feel like I just can't endure another day of torture. I have had a lot of sick days at work and when I'm there, I have to run to the bathroom every half hour. If I'm suffering from gas that just will not move, then I am constantly pushing on my side to try to manipulate the air to pass. Not very productive! It isn't something you can just ignore either. It's constant and all consuming. Knowing there are others suffering makes me feel a little better mentally, but really, what are we to do! They say eating a good diet, getting fibre, exercising, and drinking lots of water is necessary. What do you do when you are doing what you're supposed to and you're still sick. I usually leave the doctors office feeling as if all of this is my own fault. Sharing this has been good therapy. Maybe if we all start stomping our feet for recognition and demand pain relief, something will change! All I know is I don't have a very bright future if I have to live like this for the rest of my life! Very very frustrated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You sound exactly like me, I have been dealing with this for over 35 years, DISGUSTING and demoralizing.

I was very excited about Rifaximin,It is the last thing I have tried, No help

·
Registered
2 Posts
What does Work:

Deep Breaths & Spitting water (bottled water cold). Just put like 3 cap fulls in your mouth, swish and spit.

That exercises your Vagus nerve relieving you of gas

I'm slowly finding ways to deal with this so doing that works when I run into a situation.

In the morning avoid milk! haha. that's the worst thing in the world. Oatmeal is second to that.

A bagel from a health food store (made without all the chemicals and preservatives) & Cream cheese (they make a good yogurt based one now) (Spouts Farmers Market)

or even White/Wheat toast w little butter & Grits & some fresh fruit (Bannanas, Strawberrys, Blue berries)

Also, if you want help with this just don't supplement fiber or eat high fiber meals. Citruscil is probably the only supplement that doesn't produce gas but requires a lot of water... a lot!

In the morning, wake up and have some organic Fennel Tea! . $5 for a box so try it if your reading this!

If that doesn't help, grab a small piece of toast and take some "Activated Charcoal".

That word scared me at first because its charcoal and doesn't "sound natural" but it is and its not bad for you at all. take plenty of water for best results. it absorbs gas.

Just think of eating 2 slices of really burnt toast. Sorta the same thing.

Wake up, have a glass of hot fennel tea

Piece of White toast (less fiber)

2 capsules of "Activated Charcoal"

& tell me how you feel!

I'm interested to see how you guys do. I'm not sure if I'm just having a good week/month or its working

If your constipated, eat almonds. Eat a good handful everyday. This WILL bring water to your colon so you can poop happily

·
Registered
1 Posts
As others have reported, same condition here. I tried many docs but what worked for me was "fasting". I try to fast once a week, mainly try to skip lunch and dinner completely on a day that I have less activity. Give the intestines some much needed rest. On the next day, I feel AWESOME, and I have to literally control myself NOT to eat. The cause for my condition is overeating at night, just before going to bed. If I overeat during the day, it is still okay. But the problem starts when I indulge myself at night.

Another thing that has helped is having ONLY fruits for breakfast. This helps in cleansing my system everyday. And then of course, exercise. I can personally vouch for "suryanamaskar" which is a part of yoga. Do try it out, it feels amazing after just 10 mins of this activity.

Hope this helps ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I've suffered the exact same thing for about 6 months, every single day. I felt massive pain after passing stool and nothing seemed to help.

9 days ago I got fed up of the pain and started to look for a cure to my problems. I started drinking 1.5 litres of water a day and trying to eat more fibre (essentially fruit and vegetables). I have respected the water intake religiously, as to the fibre intake I skipped it 2 or 3 times.

Since I started drinking so much water, I never felt any stomach pain again.

Try to make sure you drink that much water every day, preferrably starting in the morning, and let me know whether it helped.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, It seems that after a bowel movement, the gas and pain starts in again! This is so frustrating! I suffer from anxiety, and it drives me nuts! Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank You.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been dealing with these symptoms since late August 2015.

Like most of the posters, I have had so many tests done -- blood work, urine, stool samples, lyme tests, babesia tests, chest X-rays, barium upper GI, CAT scan, endoscopy and colonoscopy -- and everything has pretty much come back negative. GERT and a small diverticula was identified through endoscopy.

Over the course of my four months of misery, I went gluten free for a month...to no avail. Dairy free for a month...nothing.

But for the past 4-5 weeks I have been feeling much better. Here's what I've done.

1. Dramatically reduced my coffee intake (used to drink 3 cups a day, with milk and sugar). I now drink only half a cup in the morning, with no sugar, and only after eating something first.

2. Dramatically reduced processed sugar in my diet. I used to be a big sweets eater. (I'm 5-foot-10 and have weighed between 150-160 for the past 20 years -- I'm in my mid-40s now -- so I was able to get away with it.) I now avoid muffins, pastries and ice cream. I'll occasionally have a little chocolate, a cookie, or a small brownie, and I inevitably feel less good that night/next day. So, I eat those sweets even less often.

3. I no longer drink bottled juices. Again, sugar. I drink water morning, afternoon and night. It's pretty much the only thing I drink, besides tea and my morning half cup of coffee.

4. No alcohol.

5. Avoid spicy foods.

I'm now much more regular. I sometimes still don't feel great after a BM, and I still feel a bit gaseous (and the stomach pain, discomfort that comes with it) and can sometimes feel the reflux in my chest. I take Prilosec as needed for the reflux feeling, and GasX for the bloating. I'm passing gas non-stop after taking the GasX, but that's the point. Sometimes instead of the GasX, I just force out some belches, which helps.

In the past 5 weeks I haven't been knocked off my feet by stomach pain, nausea, fatigue or multiple BMs per day. I still don't have a cause for whatever happened/is still happening to me, but I've been able to manage it.

The SIBO diagnosis that someone posted about is new to me. I'm actually seeing a second-opinion GI doctor this afternoon and will bring it up.

Good luck, everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To hear other people with the same symptoms/thoughts/frustrations is a huge help!! A HUGE help!!!

This morning, I suffered extreme pain after a bm. It felt like gas was pushing my abdomen beyond its breaking point! Lower abdomen, center (not to the left, like a lot of people mention). I wanted to hang myself upside-down to force the gas to move on out. Sitting down made the pain a little sharper and more localized, but I sat down anyway, because standing up really didn't feel much better either.

After reading all 4 pages of these posts, I have a theory about this morning's pain:

(1) I ate spicy food yesterday (which I almost never eat)

(2) I ate ice cream immediately after the spicy food (to chase away the heat in my mouth) - and I think lactose intolerance is becoming a part of this, especially as I age

(3) I had coffee this morning with artificial sweetener (but I have that every morning, so that is nothing new, but on top of what I had YESTERDAY, it probably did not help things)

(4) I drank some carbonated beverage with my breakfast (about 4 sips, but something I usually do NOT have)

(5) I took Focalin, as I do every morning, which definitely stimulates my colon/peristalsis, but usually not resulting in pain after my bm

So what I experienced this morning was, the Focalin did its usual thing, making me practically have to run to the bathroom. That is not unusual for me, though, and it does not cause pain or abdominel bloating on a daily basis. But all of the strange cuisine from yesterday, and the fact that I did not get up to go to the bathroom when I first felt the need to go (I was typing something at my desk and wanted to finish it before I went to the bathroom), caused the pressure to build up beyond a reasonable point. So I went to the bathroom, had an almost violent soft stool and some gas, and almost immediately, as my bowels emptied, the pain became intense. It seems strange to write this stuff out, but others have described their symptoms/experiences and the details helped me, so I'm trying to be detailed/helpful in that same way. Anyway, I felt bloated and severe pain and could not "push" or strain to move any more gas out of me, even though I sat there for another 5-8 minutes, hoping more gas would leave me. But no more gas came out. I decided there was no point just sitting there on the toilet, so I went back to my office. Walking was difficult. It really hurt!!!

Anyway, my point is, it has been about an hour and a half since this occurred. I have burped a little. I have passed some gas (very stinky!). And the pain has slowly subsided. The pain is there if I try to hold my stomach in (suck in my stomach muscles), or if I press against my abdomen with my hand. There is pain in my colon as I sit in my chair. But all of it is fading gradually.

Here is what I'm thinking: instead of parasites like some people have suggested, that get irritated/annoyed by the passing fecal matter in the colon... instead of little bugs causing post-bowel-movement pain, I actually wonder if some of us just literally have suffered teeny-tiny little ruptures or tears or injuries to the tissue, from excessive peristalsis/spasming, or extreme and super-quick bloating. And the bm aggravates this torn tissue, causing pain after the bowel movement. That would explain why the doctors can't find anything. And that would explain why it is slowly fading for me, as long as I don't do anything further to disturb the area. And that would explain why some people experience relief from fasting, because again, they are leaving the injury alone and the tissue/colon/abdominal wall/lining has a chance to heal as nothing is passing through to disturb it.

In other words, it's like a scab is trying to form, but it keeps getting ripped off and the injury flares up again with every bowel movement. So of course the pain would be most prevalent POST-bowel-movement. And of course, nothing would show up on tests, and antibiotics wouldn't necessarily help in any predictable way. And it would explain why it FEELS like all this gas is in there, but maybe there is not a lot of gas in there anymore, but instead, there is just the SENSATION (or the pain!) that is left behind after the gas has flared up and stretched things out, then move on.

I say this because another poster said she was so crazy from all the gas she felt was stuck inside her that she sometimes wanted to take a knife and cut her abdomen open and yell at it to get out! I know how she feels!!! But nothing will come out. Well, maybe there is nothing there TO come out, anymore. There is only the leftover PAIN from the bloating/stretching/micro-rupturing.

Why does any of this matter, when it doesn't actually FIX anything? Because, for me anyway, understanding in an intellectual way what my body is experiencing helps me deal with it so much better!!! I need to know how to THINK about the pain, how to understand it, so that I know how to react to it, how to feel about it. That helps me get past it a little better. That helps me get on with my day, with my life. So many people here have written how this has ruined their lives, because of the FEAR (an emotion) of experiencing symptoms and not knowing how to handle them or how to reduce the likelihood of symptoms recurring without warning.

My experience may be unique to just me. But that is seldom the case. So if this helps even one other person to move on toward a more normal life, then it is worth sharing. So basically, the takeaway for me is:

(1) Be very careful about what I put in my body, because if the perfect storm is present, the chemical reactions can cause an *explosion* of gas, which literally HURTS MY FLESH (essentially tears it from within), even if the gas itself passes away, leaving me with internal injuries that can take hours or even days to recover from.

(2) Do not wait to go to the bathroom. Try to go as soon as I feel the need to go.

(3) Be patient. Once the injury has occurred, there is little I can do to stop the pain. It is a matter of time, of letting it heal from within. And try hard not to eat/drink anything that will aggravate things during the healing process. Fasting may be a helpful approach. Or anything that is digestively mild, for your particular GI system. Be gentle with yourself, is the point here.

(4) No test is going to show you anything, if this is actually what is going on. And no drug will help very much either, except a pain killer (which a lot of other commenters have said they used and found relief from). Of course pain killers help! Football players take them all the time. This is similar to their injuries, like a torn muscle. Except it is your gut, pretty much, that is torn. Of course it is going to hurt! Let it heal. Let it rest. Sip some water, maybe. Avoid spicy food. Avoid dairy if you think that is part of what's going on. Whatever works best for your own gut. But stop putting things into your system that your gut just doesn't react well to.

The trick, of course, is to figure that last part out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, I am new to this forum and i have similar problem for past 1 year.

It wasn't really bothersome initially, but now it's consuming my life. Can't get any rest. I do want to ask couple of questions though as my problem is little unique. I have noticed that i don't have much of a problem on weekend - when I am relaxed. At least, it doesn't bother me that much on the weekends.

Also, I do experience pain and discomfort after BM, but during lunch time, after having a meal --> the pain seems of subside. I also feel better after relieving gas. During the supper/ evening time --> the pain is pretty much non-existent on most days.

Did this happen to you guys as well? or am I just in the early realm of this problem and it will just get worse from hereonforth.

Please give your opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone,I was wondering if anyone has the symptom of an increase in bloating AFTER a bowel movement. Some days I feel completely fine all day until I have a bowel movement, and once I do, I feel instantly worse 5-10 mins afterward. I get really bloated, have a lot of stomach upset (mostly UPPER abdominal pain) and just an overall crappy feeling -- sometimes tired. Mainly a crazy bloat with the feeling of trapped gas that I can't expell no matter what. OTC meds don't help, and even if I pass gas, which I don't have to really, it doesn't bring any relief. It lasts HOURS, usually up until I go to bed at night. The bowel movement seems to trigger it. I'm not constipated, have a bowel movement every day that is typically between normal and soft consistency. It's exhausting, as my stomach seems to balloon up completely and makes it difficult to do anything.A little background: I'm a 26 year old male, been sick with this stomach pain for almost a year now with no relief and have stumped 3 gastroenterologists. Have had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, CT scan, bloodwork, everything has come back normal. Have been on a gluten free diet for 3 weeks with no relief just for good measure. The doctors say that this must be IBS, but I don't have diarrhea and only a bit of constipation 8 months ago with some incomplete evacuation which has mainly been treated with fiber intake, so no real current trouble there. I have tried Flagyl, Levbid, Bentyl, Hyo-Max, Elavil and something else I can't remember all to no effect at all. Right now I am taking Celexa (this is my current stumped gastro's last attempt) and also Nexium for the GERD that I've acquired through this whole ordeal.The post-bowel movement bloat has been such a mystery.PLEASE, PLEASE respond if you have had this symptom or have any idea.Thanks so much.
have you tried to consume any fiber? It doesn't say in your post..I have a good list of fibers if you are interested...I am a bloater as well.. and constipation occurs more often..so i decided to stop OTC meds and get a good list of fibers which really works..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi !

Read all 4 pages of this post. Me in the same boat as you all. Share exactly similar symptoms for years.

Would like to add a few personal observations i have noted, few noted by some of you as well.

Triggers for such agonizing experience over the day are the activities done day before :-

1) Eaten SPICY FOOD , chillies the night / day before.

2) Feasted on a "PIZZA" or "BURGERS" the night before.

3) "BINGE DRINKING" the night before .. Beer, Whisky, Vodka, Wine .... all forms of alcohol cause this inevitably.

4) Eaten a lot of Nuts , Dry fruits the night before .. peanuts, cashewnuts, Almonds..

Basically, I learnt that my body's metabolism is the "FIRE" type , and I must avoid all foods that are hard / difficult to digest.

The days when I have avoided all of these triggers, I have been sailing smooth..

The days I have broken these rules, hell breaks loose.

WHEN SUCH HELL STRIKES, GORGING ON EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF "CURD" / "YOGURT" has helped me pacify these evils to a great extent.

Please do try out these "REFRAINS" and see if it helps. Would be glad to hear back if any of my comments helped you..

Enjoy,

·
Registered
3 Posts
To hear other people with the same symptoms/thoughts/frustrations is a huge help!! A HUGE help!!!

This morning, I suffered extreme pain after a bm. It felt like gas was pushing my abdomen beyond its breaking point! Lower abdomen, center (not to the left, like a lot of people mention). I wanted to hang myself upside-down to force the gas to move on out. Sitting down made the pain a little sharper and more localized, but I sat down anyway, because standing up really didn't feel much better either.

After reading all 4 pages of these posts, I have a theory about this morning's pain:

(2) I ate ice cream immediately after the spicy food (to chase away the heat in my mouth) - and I think lactose intolerance is becoming a part of this, especially as I age

(3) I had coffee this morning with artificial sweetener (but I have that every morning, so that is nothing new, but on top of what I had YESTERDAY, it probably did not help things)

(4) I drank some carbonated beverage with my breakfast (about 4 sips, but something I usually do NOT have)

(5) I took Focalin, as I do every morning, which definitely stimulates my colon/peristalsis, but usually not resulting in pain after my bm

So what I experienced this morning was, the Focalin did its usual thing, making me practically have to run to the bathroom. That is not unusual for me, though, and it does not cause pain or abdominel bloating on a daily basis. But all of the strange cuisine from yesterday, and the fact that I did not get up to go to the bathroom when I first felt the need to go (I was typing something at my desk and wanted to finish it before I went to the bathroom), caused the pressure to build up beyond a reasonable point. So I went to the bathroom, had an almost violent soft stool and some gas, and almost immediately, as my bowels emptied, the pain became intense. It seems strange to write this stuff out, but others have described their symptoms/experiences and the details helped me, so I'm trying to be detailed/helpful in that same way. Anyway, I felt bloated and severe pain and could not "push" or strain to move any more gas out of me, even though I sat there for another 5-8 minutes, hoping more gas would leave me. But no more gas came out. I decided there was no point just sitting there on the toilet, so I went back to my office. Walking was difficult. It really hurt!!!

Anyway, my point is, it has been about an hour and a half since this occurred. I have burped a little. I have passed some gas (very stinky!). And the pain has slowly subsided. The pain is there if I try to hold my stomach in (suck in my stomach muscles), or if I press against my abdomen with my hand. There is pain in my colon as I sit in my chair. But all of it is fading gradually.

Here is what I'm thinking: instead of parasites like some people have suggested, that get irritated/annoyed by the passing fecal matter in the colon... instead of little bugs causing post-bowel-movement pain, I actually wonder if some of us just literally have suffered teeny-tiny little ruptures or tears or injuries to the tissue, from excessive peristalsis/spasming, or extreme and super-quick bloating. And the bm aggravates this torn tissue, causing pain after the bowel movement. That would explain why the doctors can't find anything. And that would explain why it is slowly fading for me, as long as I don't do anything further to disturb the area. And that would explain why some people experience relief from fasting, because again, they are leaving the injury alone and the tissue/colon/abdominal wall/lining has a chance to heal as nothing is passing through to disturb it.

In other words, it's like a scab is trying to form, but it keeps getting ripped off and the injury flares up again with every bowel movement. So of course the pain would be most prevalent POST-bowel-movement. And of course, nothing would show up on tests, and antibiotics wouldn't necessarily help in any predictable way. And it would explain why it FEELS like all this gas is in there, but maybe there is not a lot of gas in there anymore, but instead, there is just the SENSATION (or the pain!) that is left behind after the gas has flared up and stretched things out, then move on.

I say this because another poster said she was so crazy from all the gas she felt was stuck inside her that she sometimes wanted to take a knife and cut her abdomen open and yell at it to get out! I know how she feels!!! But nothing will come out. Well, maybe there is nothing there TO come out, anymore. There is only the leftover PAIN from the bloating/stretching/micro-rupturing.

Why does any of this matter, when it doesn't actually FIX anything? Because, for me anyway, understanding in an intellectual way what my body is experiencing helps me deal with it so much better!!! I need to know how to THINK about the pain, how to understand it, so that I know how to react to it, how to feel about it. That helps me get past it a little better. That helps me get on with my day, with my life. So many people here have written how this has ruined their lives, because of the FEAR (an emotion) of experiencing symptoms and not knowing how to handle them or how to reduce the likelihood of symptoms recurring without warning.

My experience may be unique to just me. But that is seldom the case. So if this helps even one other person to move on toward a more normal life, then it is worth sharing. So basically, the takeaway for me is:

(1) Be very careful about what I put in my body, because if the perfect storm is present, the chemical reactions can cause an *explosion* of gas, which literally HURTS MY FLESH (essentially tears it from within), even if the gas itself passes away, leaving me with internal injuries that can take hours or even days to recover from.

(2) Do not wait to go to the bathroom. Try to go as soon as I feel the need to go.

(3) Be patient. Once the injury has occurred, there is little I can do to stop the pain. It is a matter of time, of letting it heal from within. And try hard not to eat/drink anything that will aggravate things during the healing process. Fasting may be a helpful approach. Or anything that is digestively mild, for your particular GI system. Be gentle with yourself, is the point here.

(4) No test is going to show you anything, if this is actually what is going on. And no drug will help very much either, except a pain killer (which a lot of other commenters have said they used and found relief from). Of course pain killers help! Football players take them all the time. This is similar to their injuries, like a torn muscle. Except it is your gut, pretty much, that is torn. Of course it is going to hurt! Let it heal. Let it rest. Sip some water, maybe. Avoid spicy food. Avoid dairy if you think that is part of what's going on. Whatever works best for your own gut. But stop putting things into your system that your gut just doesn't react well to.

The trick, of course, is to figure that last part out.

Spicy food is the biggest trigger , In my case as well... As long as I avoid it "all is well" :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I've suffered the exact same thing for about 6 months, every single day. I felt massive pain after passing stool and nothing seemed to help.

9 days ago I got fed up of the pain and started to look for a cure to my problems. I started drinking 1.5 litres of water a day and trying to eat more fibre (essentially fruit and vegetables). I have respected the water intake religiously, as to the fibre intake I skipped it 2 or 3 times.

Since I started drinking so much water, I never felt any stomach pain again.

Try to make sure you drink that much water every day, preferrably starting in the morning, and let me know whether it helped.

Good luck!
"Try to make sure you drink that much water every day,"

VERY TRUE .. I SECOND THIS ADVISE AS WELL..FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have many of the symptoms described after bowel movements, though it only occurs sometimes, not always. I also have an additional issue that perhaps should have a thread of its own: I sometimes get severe leg pain after bowel movements, particularly if my poop is "normal" (relatively soft) rather than my usual hard, chunky bowel movements. This occurs whether or not the softness of the poop is due to taking a laxative or not. I've told several doctors and gastroenterologists about this, and none have any clue or have ever come across a similar case. Anyone else experience anything of this sort?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm Emily, I joined the forum to post my story here as it sounds very similar.

I have been living in digestive hell for about 4+ years now. I can't even tell people that number (4 years) without beginning to cry. I can't believe my life has turned into obsessing about my condition so often. I have so much joy in my life that's tarnished with this everyday disaster/nightmare that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

The best way I can describe my worst symptom is the feeling of constant TRAPPED GAS. As much as I push to expel it, it stays firmly planted deep within my intestines. It's not just gas there, though. I burp incessantly, even after drinking something as benign as water. I have a constant, localized pain in my upper left abdomen (just under my rib cage, extending a little around my left side...) - sometimes worse, sometimes better, but always worse after a BM. This specific pain has worsened over the years.

I usually have 2-6 BMs per day, all of which are very narrow (not pencil-thin, but no more than 1" in diameter) and very long. It's not so much diarrhea as it is very frequent. I often get distention and gas after my BMs.

The first gastroeterologist thought I had GERD, which was insane considering I only have heartburn symptoms about 3x per year. The PPIs made this worse. She was stumped and suggested repeatedly that I try Gas-X, which again, is insane. Gas medications never do anything for my symptoms. Nor do any OTC medications.

I have seen 2 natural/alternative physicians, one of which suspects Candida overgrowth and the other suspected Parasites. I have been treated for both, and no improvement came with either treatment. The parasite cleanse antibiotic actually made my symptoms 1,000x worse. I have also done the Heidelburg gastric acidity test which showed inconclusive results (sometimes my stomach acid regulated normally, other times it did not). Hair analysis shows my vitamin/mineral levels are extremely low. I have tried many different digestive enzymes and probiotics.

My current GI did a breath test and my results showed an abnormality consistent with SIBO. I was so relieved to finally have an answer. I tried Xifaxin and Erythromycin, which made my symptoms much worse (usually patients have much relief with these antibiotics). Specifically, the localized left-side abdominal pain became much much worse during antibiotic treatment. If I gently massage or push on this area, I am sometimes able to burp with only some relief. If I drink a carbonated beverage quickly after a meal, sometimes I can burp repeatedly and it feels much better. It's almost as if I have to "catch" the gas after eating before it travels through my body. However sometimes, my body will not burp, but just "digest" the gas through the intestinal tract, making my life a living hell.

Sometimes it almost feels like the gas is in my uterus, it's extemely low. Nothing I do helps move it. I do not experience a ton of cramping. Just this incessant production of gas - with the inability to expel it. What's also strange is that sometimes I feel fine (although rare), and am able to pass a regualr fart (haha) just fine. WTF, body?!

Right now I'm having a new symptom: my intestine is weirdly twitching. I see the commenter above also describes a spasming. It seems this craziness will never end. It has only gotten worse through the years. Want to hear the weirdest thing? THIS ALL DISAPPEARED IN MY 2ND MONTH OF PREGNANCY. Disappeared! Completely. It returned 10 days after giving birth. Go figure that one out. All I want to do is be pregnant all the time! How many women do you hear saying that? Haha.

Anyway, this condition has made my life pretty hellacious for 4 years now, and no one seems to have any answers. I have been on antidepressants and am currently in cognitive behavioral therapy. I remember the time before all this began when I was around 25 years old, and how carefree I was. I cannot fathom living this way for the rest of my life. The very thought makes me absolutely lose it with sadness. I'm hoping to find some answers, and I will never give up hope, but my resolve is wearing thin. When I have a semi-normal day, I am the happiest person in the entire world. When the symptoms return, I go to a very low place.

There has GOT to be an answer somewhere. I have never read other people describe my symptoms so accurately: trapped gas, pain after BM, etc.

The next step for me is a colonoscopy (which I've been asking for, for years) and a capsule endoscopy.

As for my history: I used some heavier drugs in my early twenties (Ecstacy, coke, and halluciogens), began hormonal birth control (specifically Depo-Provera) at age 15 but stopped hormonal BC at age 25, and was on 2 rounds of Accutane in my early-mid twenties. I was also prescribed antibiotics in my teenage years for acne. I cannot believe my body was able to grow a healthy human baby child
smile.png

If the colonoscopy and endoscopy turn up nothing, I will be turning to Ayurveda next. I will never stop trying new things.

It is comforting to know there are others that know what I'm going through, though I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Sometimes I want to literally cut open my abdomen and scream at my intestines. I know that sounds insane, but when you're forced to think about your TRAPPED GAS over and over and over and over again, you start to kind of lose it. This sucks!
sad.png
Hi Emily,

I feel for you I am also going through the hell you have expressed in your description. I am experiencing all the symptoms you mentioned above except the pain, I don't feel any pain in my stomach but this bloating is killing me every day. My GI said its all in your head everything else is normal, he advised me to consult with a psychiatrist and I am going to meet one on this coming Monday. Please tell me if you have found any cure to this problem so far, I will be really grateful to you for life. Stay blessed and healthy.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts