Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an IBS sufferer and sometimes I will have a bad bloating feeling that last a week or two. My left rib cage actually looks swollen and I fell very blaoted. After a small meal I fell as though I'm going to burst. Has anyone experienced this and what might be happening?jaspo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure what might be going on. I am sure someone will know and give you advice. Hope you feel better soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I don't get the swelling, I do get the pain under my rib cage on my left side. It is especially bad when I am C, but goes away when I'm empty. My doc explained to me that it is trapped gas. Does exercise help? That gets the gas moving! I hope you feel better! That pain is miserable!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jaspo --I often have that pain under my rib cage...sometimes I feel like I am having a heart attack. I have always thought it is somehow related to acid reflux and heart burn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get this also, severe bloating in my left rib cage. I take bentyl, this help the bloating and cramping. Yes, I eat two crackers and can bloat up. It's not really painful, just VERY uncomfortable. Hope you get better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaspo,I get this under my right rib cage. Feels like pressure coming from the inside out. Never really hurts, per se, it's just very uncomfortable. It gets much worse with anything more than a light meal. My mother, also an IBS sufferer, told me that it was trapped gas. So, I recently started taking phazyme (gas reliever) and they helped! Try some type of gas relief and see if it works for you.Vicky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chrissyc-I get the same pain under my left rib cage. The first time I really thought I was having a heart attack, too. Scared me to death. How long does your pain last and have you found anything to relieve it?mac

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mac31 --Sometimes the pain is really bad and prolonged. Sometime Gaviscon helps...that is why I think it may be reflux-related. Does it feel like you have a huge lump uner your ribs? I mean I can actaully feel something there sometimes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I too have that uncomfortable pain almost exactly as Vicki descibes it ... has anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of it?Roz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am convinced the pain is gas pressure because I had the same pain which settled in my shoulders after my laparoscopy. I was told happens because they pump your stomach up with gas to get a good look inside.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My 12 year old began complaining about pain under her left rib last week. It was very scary; she kept saying she had chest pain. She got very anxious with it and I called the Dr. They said it was probably a pinched nerve or pleurisy. Her symptoms really didn't relate to either one of those. Took her to the Dr. the next day and they said it could be inflammation of the cartilidge. I think it was stress and excess G. Her reaction to it is what was frightening to me. It was very hard to know just how serious it was because she was so fixated on the sensation.I think, but hope not, that she is beginning to show signs of IBS. I guess too early to know for sure. It sure seemed like it though to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.