Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in recent times often felt bloated and have been passing a lot of gas.I have noticed the effects are worse after eating sweet things to excess, chocolate, cakes etcI also noticed that the symotoms were ofetn reduced when I laid off tea and coffee and drank camomile tea instead.I find that the ache/bloatedness temporarily eases as I pass wind, and also that sometimes the urge to pee comes also after passing wind.up until recently I hadnt the first clue what could be wrong however a little research (often a dnagerous thing!) seems to lead me to possible IBS.any thoughts?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Even with IBS, flatulence can be caused by what you eat, rather than being just an unavoidable trait. While people with IBS may pass more wind than average (although I read in a medical journal that the average per person is about 25 times a day, which seems rather generous to me!), I still find for me that I can detect certain foods that cause gas and eliminate them. I don't think only having the symptoms of flatulence would be enough to diagnose myself with IBS. I'd stick to doing a food diary and finding out what foods I ate within the last 2 days when I have gas. Did you know it can take up to 6 to 12 hours for food to get from your tummy to your large intestine, where flatulence originates? Did you also know that waste can stay in your large intestine up to 2 or more days normally? So if you have flatulence, you need to look back at what you've been eating within the last couple days or so. For me, it is corn chips, anything with a lot of fat, such as baked sweet goods like cake, chocolate, beans (obviously), and anything with a lot of tomato sauce or dairy (Sorry, Italian and Mexican food, but you are outa here!). Doing such work, even as a person with IBS, I have reduced my flatulence. Also, if I have a really bad day of it, I immediately stop eating anything more than sour dough rolls and perhaps chicken rice soup. I let my system clear out totally.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:While people with IBS may pass more wind than average
On average, there doesn't appear to be any more difference or it could even be that IBSers pass less. This would be due to inefficient gas transit, the overall volume is about the same.
quote:although I read in a medical journal that the average per person is about 25 times a day, which seems rather generous to me!
I believe the mean is about 13.
quote:Did you know it can take up to 6 to 12 hours for food to get from your tummy to your large intestine, where flatulence originates? Did you also know that waste can stay in your large intestine up to 2 or more days normally?
It seems that the bulk of gas production occurs in the first four hours after consuming a meal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all, I was in a bit of a rush last night so it was a precis rather than the full story.I am UK based and struggling for a GP, I managed to find a dentist when we moved (a miracle!) but after signing on with a GP I never went for the initial check up, that was about 18/24 months ago so I need to get my bad self in gear and find a doctor for tests.There are other noticeable symptoms, can go a couple of days without passing stools, always feel like theres more to come, yesterday for instance I felt bloated and passed a fair bit of gas, today I had to go to the toilet three times to pass solids, definately made worse when I ingest cherry bakewell tarts, as a kid I used to polish off a couple of boxes no bother, nowadays, two individual cakes and I have to wear baggy trousers in the morning.thanks once again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts