Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS in the 80's, but I have never had the bloating and gas like I have now! Everything I eat causes gas, continuous gas and extreme bloating!I wonder what has changed now. My diet hasn't changed. Does being a female and perimenopausal make a difference?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boy I sympathize!! I am on zelnorm now but I still get the gas...just not the cramps and pain that I used to. My husband is mortified...he says women aren't supposed to f**t. I said "oh..and I guess we don't have intestines, colons and digestion etc..." He was just kidding...but it is a running joke. I think hormones always affect it...My IBS got so much worse after kids. And things change...are you lactose intolerant too? Might want to pop the dairy ease pills if you aren't sure just to try...you can also be tested. And being women...we always have to worry about our indoor plumbing. You might want to check with your OBGyn to make sure all's well with those parts...esp. the ovaries. I take peppermint capsules (they are supposed to go thru the stomach and most of the intestines intact..letting the oil get to the colon)and I really feel they help with some of the pain and bloat on days I don't take my zelnorm at the right time. Good luck...It's no fun I know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boy I sympathize!! I am on zelnorm now but I still get the gas...just not the cramps and pain that I used to. My husband is mortified...he says women aren't supposed to f**t. I said "oh..and I guess we don't have intestines, colons and digestion etc..." He was just kidding...but it is a running joke. I think hormones always affect it...My IBS got so much worse after kids. And things change...are you lactose intolerant too? Might want to pop the dairy ease pills if you aren't sure just to try...you can also be tested. And being women...we always have to worry about our indoor plumbing. You might want to check with your OBGyn to make sure all's well with those parts...esp. the ovaries. I take peppermint capsules (they are supposed to go thru the stomach and most of the intestines intact..letting the oil get to the colon)and I really feel they help with some of the pain and bloat on days I don't take my zelnorm at the right time. Good luck...It's no fun I know.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Patty, in a word, YES. To be safe, you should be evaluated because of the slight chance that a persistent change in bowel behavior is a sign of GI or gynecologic cancer. Agree with P'mouth about getting to your gynecologist as well as your primary and/or gastro. But problems with bloating and digestive distress, even in women who haven't been diagnosed with IBS, seem to be common around menopause. Check out the boards at power-surge.com... I just passed the 1-year-without-periods mark myself and have experienced changes in digestion, definitely. I've always had a lot of trouble with gas and I don't think I have more gas nowadays, but it seems more apt to get stuck. I have tipped toward the C side where I used to be a pretty classic IBS-D with several loose stools most mornings and problems with urgency. I'm overdue for a GI workup myself though

·
Registered
370 Posts
Patty, in a word, YES. To be safe, you should be evaluated because of the slight chance that a persistent change in bowel behavior is a sign of GI or gynecologic cancer. Agree with P'mouth about getting to your gynecologist as well as your primary and/or gastro. But problems with bloating and digestive distress, even in women who haven't been diagnosed with IBS, seem to be common around menopause. Check out the boards at power-surge.com... I just passed the 1-year-without-periods mark myself and have experienced changes in digestion, definitely. I've always had a lot of trouble with gas and I don't think I have more gas nowadays, but it seems more apt to get stuck. I have tipped toward the C side where I used to be a pretty classic IBS-D with several loose stools most mornings and problems with urgency. I'm overdue for a GI workup myself though

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: Everything I eat causes gas, continuous gas and extreme bloating!
How do you know you have gas? What happens if you don't eat?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: Everything I eat causes gas, continuous gas and extreme bloating!
How do you know you have gas? What happens if you don't eat?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When you say continuous gas do you meanYou fart every couple of minutes for the entire day.You have pain all the time.You feel bloated all the time.Your abdomen is distended all the time.Some of those may be actual gas some are things people call gas but may not be gas.A gyn check up is in order, esp. since the bloating sounds newish to you, and can signal problems in that area.If the GI symptoms are new to you they should be evaluated by a doctor as well.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When you say continuous gas do you meanYou fart every couple of minutes for the entire day.You have pain all the time.You feel bloated all the time.Your abdomen is distended all the time.Some of those may be actual gas some are things people call gas but may not be gas.A gyn check up is in order, esp. since the bloating sounds newish to you, and can signal problems in that area.If the GI symptoms are new to you they should be evaluated by a doctor as well.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gas you pass right after eating is from the meal previous.Shortly after you eat your colon gets more active and moves things along.Are we talking from the time you eat your first meal of the day you fart and fart and fart all day, or is this for some length of time.I'm trying to guess if you still fall in the "normal range" of farting or we are talking those people who fart like 120X a day.NOt sure what continuously means....you don't have any breaks between farts?You have a bad sphicter and it just leaks?If we are talking 40 or more flatus events a day we may be talking altered volume.What happens if you don't eat for a couple of days?Gas is either from the carbs in your diet (and if it is right after meals it is carbs from a previous meal that are making the current gas) or from swallowed air.Usually taking the right probiotic for you or limiting the carbs that make gas (like sorbitol, some starches, etc) usually tends to reduce this if it is from food.If it is from air swallowing then you need to address that issue.K.PS...like last night I had a bunch of Ranier Cherries...like a pound, and about the time they shoulda hit the colon the sorbitol kicked in and I farted every few minutes for a fair while. But I dunno if I would call it continuously.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gas you pass right after eating is from the meal previous.Shortly after you eat your colon gets more active and moves things along.Are we talking from the time you eat your first meal of the day you fart and fart and fart all day, or is this for some length of time.I'm trying to guess if you still fall in the "normal range" of farting or we are talking those people who fart like 120X a day.NOt sure what continuously means....you don't have any breaks between farts?You have a bad sphicter and it just leaks?If we are talking 40 or more flatus events a day we may be talking altered volume.What happens if you don't eat for a couple of days?Gas is either from the carbs in your diet (and if it is right after meals it is carbs from a previous meal that are making the current gas) or from swallowed air.Usually taking the right probiotic for you or limiting the carbs that make gas (like sorbitol, some starches, etc) usually tends to reduce this if it is from food.If it is from air swallowing then you need to address that issue.K.PS...like last night I had a bunch of Ranier Cherries...like a pound, and about the time they shoulda hit the colon the sorbitol kicked in and I farted every few minutes for a fair while. But I dunno if I would call it continuously.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
What carbs should one be avoiding to prevent gas?I've been really gassy my whole life and nothing I do has seemed to change it. I cut out dairy about 4 years ago, and that helped emensly, and not eating to late also helps. But I usually get really bad (stinky, sometimes painful, every few minutes) every night regardless of what I eat, and even if I don't really eat all day.I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm predominately C, so I have incomplete BM's. Is that acurate?

·
Registered
37 Posts
What carbs should one be avoiding to prevent gas?I've been really gassy my whole life and nothing I do has seemed to change it. I cut out dairy about 4 years ago, and that helped emensly, and not eating to late also helps. But I usually get really bad (stinky, sometimes painful, every few minutes) every night regardless of what I eat, and even if I don't really eat all day.I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm predominately C, so I have incomplete BM's. Is that acurate?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Usually I pass gas during the evening hours after I've eaten lunch and dinner. It's an all night event. One of my main concerns right now, as a couple of you stated, is ovarian cancer. I have all the symptoms: bloated, bleeding after sex, indigestion (dr gave me a stress test because of this),fatigue, gas, discomfort during sex, a feeling of fullness even tho I'm hungry. Had an ultrasound which showed normal, but am ready to have a hysterectomy because I feel that the ovaries are a problem. Don't want to do anything drastic, but don't want to die from ovarian cancer. If you have ANY answers, please help.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Usually I pass gas during the evening hours after I've eaten lunch and dinner. It's an all night event. One of my main concerns right now, as a couple of you stated, is ovarian cancer. I have all the symptoms: bloated, bleeding after sex, indigestion (dr gave me a stress test because of this),fatigue, gas, discomfort during sex, a feeling of fullness even tho I'm hungry. Had an ultrasound which showed normal, but am ready to have a hysterectomy because I feel that the ovaries are a problem. Don't want to do anything drastic, but don't want to die from ovarian cancer. If you have ANY answers, please help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is some problems with carbs and constipation as many fibers make that better even if they cause some gas.Typical gas problem carbs. This isn't smell, but volume. Odor comes from sulfur which is more from excess protein in the diet.A) No human digests. You don't digest it, but the bacteria in the gut do.Raffinose (beans, soy) Soaking beans and draining the soak water off and replacing it before cooking greatly reduces this.Resistant starch (mostly grains, potatoes, starchy veggies...of the grains rice seems to have the least). Sorbitol and other sugar alcohols. Mostly no-sugar sweetened things (so many "low carb" foods can be bad for gas because they are high in sugar alcohols). Also in some fruits, worst when raw, apples, pears peaches, cherries.Things that some people can't digest/absorb well.Lactose.Fructose (high fructose corn syrup is the major problem).Some people find the standard lower carb diet meal of a lean protein (smallish serving) with cooked veggies works pretty well.Probiotic bacteria (yogurt, acidophilus supplements, etc) can reduce gas because they eat carbs without making gas.K.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.