Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to the site and hope to get some help. I have the diagnosis of IBS by default, as for the last year my doc has been doing all kinds of tests, with negative results. Apart from occasional diarrhea, my main problem is bloating. It gradually builds up during the day, until about 6 pm (I could almost set my clock by it) my lower bowel feels like an over-inflated tire, and I just can't get rid of all the wind. Does anyone else have a similar pattern of symptoms, and has anyone else found anything that helps?ThanksAndrew

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Does the bloating go down when you do fart?Sometimes the distention and feeling full is just the body's reaction to the activity of the colon during the day, and not really related to the amount of gas. I think a recent study showed that IBSers with the exact same amount of gas a normal people can feel bloated even though that same exact amount doesn't bother people without IBS.I occasionally get bloated, but more after meals and find that digestive enzymes with pancreatic enzymes in them help (not the vegitarian ones).If it is relieved by farting you might try probitoics to reduce the amount of gas you produce or reduce gassy foods in your diet.K.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I tried probiotics without any effect. The bloating is partly relieved by passing wind, but only partly. I do accept that part of the problem may be perception (possibly cause by stress), but realizing that doesn't get rid of the discomfort. At present I am doing relaxation exercises with a CD, and hope this may bring some benefit.Best wishesAndrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi andrew,i have a similar problem to you.i found that eating musli in the morning produced a lot of gas late afternoon.rice is the only carbohydrate that dose not produce gas.so you could try just eating rice in a day and see if there is any diferance.do you get pain with the bloating? the doctor has no idea what my probem is,so im trying to find people with similar symtoms to dicuss with and hopefully help each other. im interested in any comments you have plus anybody esles comments. regards paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Paul:I don't eat muesli, but do eat a lot of rice, and you are right in that rice doesn't seem to cause a lot of gas. Do I get pain with the bloating? No - I got a lot of crampy pain when the thing started, but now my worst complaint is of serious discomfort - I can't put it higher than that - but I do look forward with dread to tbe build-up of gas as the evening approaches. I am now trying peppermint - 3 or 4 drops of concentrate in a glass of water, and it seems to be helping. It is suggested by medical experts for gas reduction. Have you tried it? Let me hear from you again.Best wishesAlan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try enteric-coated peppermint capsules, taken on an empty stomach, not liquid drops...you need the peppermint in the intestines, not the stomach. (however if you have a lot of reflux or a hiatal hernia, peppermint is not recommended) Enteric coating will allow the capsule to pass thru the stomach and release the peppermint in the intestines. I've heard fennel is also helpful and I will be trying that next, as peppermint, enzymes, probiotics, etc has not consistently helped me--bloating w/discomfort is my most troublesome symptom.Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi andrew,i may have a similar problem to you,but i dont notice my tummy getting bloated dureing the day.its been bloated for the last few months,while i used to suffer with a slight nausea,in the morning and moderate cramp pains in the afternoon,intermitant.i had a break for 10 days with no pain,now i get moderate nausa am and slight cramp pain/discomfort pm,for the last 2 weeks.a week ago i ask my doctor to presribe me antispasmodic drugs,but upto now no change.i think the nausea may be,a symtom particular to me,because when ive been ill,in the last few years,i always get bad nausea. im sure my condition,is trigered by worry,and im stuck in a vicious circle like many other people,which i cant break,because of worrying about the symtoms. i have not tried pepimint,but will try it,i feel that my problem is caused by an inbalance of bacteria in the gut.i have not yet given probiotics a long enough trial yet,but im very skepticable they will work. im interested in any other comments you have or any body else,as im sure im not the only one with this problem.although it feels this way sometimes.regards paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.