Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just got back from doctor's appt. He's now saying that he thinks I may have a blocked bile duct resulting from the gallbladder surgery where a stone is blocked in it. He wants to do an mrcp and find out what's going on and if, big if, it's blocked then I will be off to a surgeon to have an ercp done to remove it. Has anybody else had this happen? He also increased my enzymes to 4 per meal and put me on colestin (forgive spelling here) to help with the diahhrea which I am having daily now. Odds are for ercp not good, up to 20% of patients develop pancreatitus from this procedure, but the surgeon he's referring me to is from Duke University (whereever that is) and is supposed to be one of the country's foremost experts at ercp, taught it at some medical school also. Would appreciate any help or comments. Big thanks.

· Registered
38 Posts
Hi there. Actually I have been there, about 4 years ago. They didn't catch my blockage in time and I did get acute pancreatitis. I have to tell you that this was much more painful than the gall bladder pain. I had 3 stones blocking the duct. I was very sick. The DR did the ercp, the tube, and went in and crushed the stones and they passed. While he was there he cut the end of the duct to make it alittle larger. So, the next time I get stones, they SHOULD pass themselves. Don't delay getting this done. There was no recovery time from this procedure. Email if you have any more questions. Good luck!Pam

· Registered
38 Posts
Hi there. Actually I have been there, about 4 years ago. They didn't catch my blockage in time and I did get acute pancreatitis. I have to tell you that this was much more painful than the gall bladder pain. I had 3 stones blocking the duct. I was very sick. The DR did the ercp, the tube, and went in and crushed the stones and they passed. While he was there he cut the end of the duct to make it alittle larger. So, the next time I get stones, they SHOULD pass themselves. Don't delay getting this done. There was no recovery time from this procedure. Email if you have any more questions. Good luck!Pam

G

·
Had a similar situation 5 years ago. Had my gall bladder removed because the doctors thought that was what was causing all my pain. After that my pancreatic duct got blocked. Had the ercp and it was successful the first time, but blocked up again about a month later and the second time it did not work. Doctors didn't know why and I developed acute pancreatitis - very painful -and ended up having a 7 hour surgery on my pancratic duct. They actually made me a new one by pulling up part of my intestine ... gross, huh, but it worked and I am so thankful. Two years later I had a hysterectomy because of painful fibroids (nothing serious) and about 6 months after that is when I developed the IBS. I really think there is a connection between not having my gall bladder and IBS (for me). I'm no doctor, but I never had IBS before that. PLEASE, if it has anything to do with your pancreas, have it fixed. Good luck and God Bless! Cindy

G

·
Had a similar situation 5 years ago. Had my gall bladder removed because the doctors thought that was what was causing all my pain. After that my pancreatic duct got blocked. Had the ercp and it was successful the first time, but blocked up again about a month later and the second time it did not work. Doctors didn't know why and I developed acute pancreatitis - very painful -and ended up having a 7 hour surgery on my pancratic duct. They actually made me a new one by pulling up part of my intestine ... gross, huh, but it worked and I am so thankful. Two years later I had a hysterectomy because of painful fibroids (nothing serious) and about 6 months after that is when I developed the IBS. I really think there is a connection between not having my gall bladder and IBS (for me). I'm no doctor, but I never had IBS before that. PLEASE, if it has anything to do with your pancreas, have it fixed. Good luck and God Bless! Cindy

· Registered
338 Posts
I was just checked for a block duct with a hida scan. I didn't have one. The test only took about 20 minutes due to the dye or whatever they shoot into my veins moving so quickly thru the duct into my small intestines. They said I had no stones in my duct. What is a mrcp? God Bless.[This message has been edited by LadyM (edited 08-01-2001).]

· Registered
338 Posts
I was just checked for a block duct with a hida scan. I didn't have one. The test only took about 20 minutes due to the dye or whatever they shoot into my veins moving so quickly thru the duct into my small intestines. They said I had no stones in my duct. What is a mrcp? God Bless.[This message has been edited by LadyM (edited 08-01-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.